1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

1 COOL CHARGERS ball. My thoughts after great win over SB Cards.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp, Oct 4, 2010.

1. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Positives:
    1. Best news was no delay of game penalties! This should be our #1 thing to work on all year.
    2. Rivers staying, stepping up in the pocket better allowing the lineman easier blocking.
    3. Tolbert doing what i predicted 2 years ago :0.
    4. DB's up at the los more often doing things well.
    5. More D lineman at the los allowing easier sacks to come for all.
    6. Using the delayed blitzs like pro's should.
    7. Using more fast players on kickoff's.

Things to improve:
    1. Need to use squib kicks always on kick-off's. Did u see Denver use it to win the game?
    2. Need to keep our DB at the los starting to bump always.
    3. Need to keep as many players at the los on D so we can keep up our sacks, don't drop off our OLB ever. (I have been pushing this for 2 years on other forums, did u see #95 does when he gets to rush on every down :)
    4. Get Rivers to shuffle his feet while waiting for WR's to get open to stay loose.
    5. Need to run the ball more, especially with a led. We get a huge run then start passing again? Why risk getting your QB hurt anyways ppl? We have 3 great RB's but how easy is it to replace a 6-5" QB who can see over everyone and has the best pass in the NFL?
    6. Should have taken out our starters in the beginning of the 4th Q. We could have given our back-up's great chance to learn.
    7. Our DB's MUST turn their heads around when the WR turn or we going to give up a lot of big plays and get 1 too many pass int calls. I was mvp football player every year before and led the cal state in picks and learned this all the way back in pop warner. Why do NFL players think they are covering a player just by running tight to them? This has led to whole new throwing plays lol called seem routes now that feed off this huge failure type of covering where just just throw over the back shoulder, totally unacceptable. My team won state 2x :). Picks do matter especially when u run them all the way back to the EZ. I saw 3x we would have had picks if the DB just turned around in that game.

What's trippy for me is it seems like only 3-4 teams coaches know how to manage play calling at the highest level. Your in field goal range for example with a led they will run for sure why risk points or failure? They might even mix up the style by using a shuffle pass or draw but the same thinking like a genius would.

1 COOL CHARGERS ball :helm1:

2. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Nice post.

I'll say that I really agree with #5 - second list.

Tolbert runs it down their throat and then we pass 3 straight times from the 7 yard line. I absolutely hate this style of play. It's like we can push teams around until we get into the redzone, then we go finess and 4 wide. The FG that keading missed should never have even been an attempt. Norv was awful on that drive.

3. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    7. Our DB's MUST turn their heads around when the WR turn or we going to give up a lot of big plays and get 1 too many pass int calls. I was mvp football player every year before and led the cal state in picks and learned this all the way back in pop warner. Why do NFL players think they are covering a player just by running tight to them? This has led to whole new throwing plays lol called seem routes now that feed off this huge failure type of covering where just just throw over the back shoulder, totally unacceptable. My team won state 2x :). Picks do matter especially when u run them all the way back to the EZ. I saw 3x we would have had picks if the DB just turned around in that game.

In fact based on the D play u can count in your head when to turn around. Like when u are blitzing u count to 3 sec and no matter if the WR turns or not u look to the QB and take your pick :0.

4. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    U should never do a normal kick-off.

This is 2010. U never kick so that the other teams fastest player can return for TD by receiving a predictable deep kick.

U want to have the ball fall shorter, hitting the ground and bouncing unpredictably. Hopefully they get confused and u get a free turnover. U want players who are slower to get the ball so no way to get scored on. Note: 2nd row players arn't used to even handling the ball. Your odds of striping the ball from a LB trying to return a kickoff is amazingly high odds of success for getting a TO. In fact sometimes u want to just kick straight up as high as possible and sometimes u can actually catch the ball before it hits the ground. :). [NFL rules if other team doesn't make effort to catch the ball u can catch it legally] As the other team is confused to who is supposed to catch it. By the time they catch it your surrounded the player anyways. So u mix up the kicking style as well yet, NEVER kicking a traditional deep high kick though! Unless u have a player on your team that can kick the ball through the EZ. Then always kick that way test your players out. U never know maybe Tolbert could with his strong legs or Gates kick the ROCK through the EZ.

Factually our kicker kicks about 5 sec hang-time. Do the math we have how many players who run 4.5 sec 40's......So shorter high kicks means.....

5. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Which leds to the same post i posted 2 years ago. Always squib kick-off's. Then u can replace the kicker with a faster bigger player to also help with odds of saving a TD return... Anyone else notice NATE badly missed easy tackles on these last 3 TD returned vs us on kickoffs?

Why would a GENIUS coach risk their only kicker getting hurt trying to save a TD or slipping or getting hit by other teams LB's un-necessarily? How many other players on the bench who don't start would love to do a kick-off and contribute to saving a game ending return TD?

6. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thats interesting. I think what you are seeing is a direct result of the league moving the kicker back. They want returns. But your thought on using a tackler to kick is interesting.

7. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Exactly :). Even use 2-3 dif players to make sure your squibs are always dif when u get pro pro.
    Keep things fresh and exciting and your players will always bring their "A" games. 1magine how exciting things are when led by a world champ. Players excited to come to practices and always wanting to know what next trick adv strat we using next from week to week.

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Did you see what he does when he drops back in coverage?

9. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yea he (#95 phillips) allows the OPP QB time to look for open WR's if he drops back. Occasionally picks off floater passes, freebies anyways not earned success BTW! It's all math. Every scheme has good things and weaknesses. By rushing the QB only (Earned success) for this 1 game what was the simple result? (I've posted for 2 years to get our OLB to play like DE and finally hopefully got through to the Chargers staff from 1 forum or another :)) 5 sacks by him alone. How many those sacks could have been TD pass if QB had time...I don't like to post my top secret stats, but know this its like 7-1 better odds of success rushing every single down vs EVER dropping off to cover a player or zone cover. Top QB can throw a pass to any WR even covered. If u sack a QB u might prevent a td pass or possible fumble recovery get them out of field goal range ect. The key is to not just rush predictably though. To line up n just rush from the DE type situation is good but not pro pro. To sometimes delay or twist is way more pro pro. If only someday the light comes on and we realize how valuable a perfectly timed delayed blitz is....O lineman never just wait for u even if they know u coming they always naturally try help out another O lineman with blocking..opening up a hole hmmmm.

Note: That if he/either (OLB/DE) drops off the rush to cover a RB then that is acceptable and smart. So much math once again your best odds of getting a QB sack is from the outside less blockers to D player ect. -Success compounds success now that they *think* they have 5-6 players to block now all players become weapons with 1-1 blocking to QB opportunities.

10. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Lastly, If u 1mpose so much pressure on OPP QB's to force the E to have to completely adjust their blocking scheme u have won the war.....Then of course u already have counter #2 and so on be great!

To be #1 u must 1mpose a game that is worthy of #1 my lifetime strats....

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    How many of those could have been INT again for a TD? Correct me if I'm wrong but we have had 2 LB rushing the QB without these results all year. Just because we had success one game does not mean we/he are/is a lock to do it again. Defense had a great game against a weak team. Let's not get too excited.

12. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    What was different this week was the whole game #95 rushed the QB, normally he only rushes 1 out of 3 plays. I have complained about this for 2 years and finally got banned from the charger official forums.

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    I could be wrong but don't expect that every week. I'm sure they found something in game planning that made them believe that they could be successful. Better QB's & better O-llines will eat us alive. If the opportunity allows it, then yes, let's blitz.

14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 8 / -0
    I agree with some of this.

I'm not sure if I agree with...
    4. Get Rivers to shuffle his feet while waiting for WR's to get open to stay loose.

I have noticed that his pocket awareness is okay..but he is just too damn slow with his feet
    no matter where he is in that pocket. Bouncing around or shuffling his feet might make matters
    worse by throwing off his rythm and timing with his receivers.
    I watched Chad Henne in tonights game against the Pats and he reminds me of Rivers a little in the
    way he can sit in the pocket and look over his receivers..but Henne looks like he is more natural with
    his feet. I used to not think much of him before the game and even though the Fish got smacked,
    I was impressed with their QB.
    I also noticed that the Dolphins had Henne in a shotgun then had him take like a 3 step drop after that
    which gave him loads of time to find an open receiver. The defense had to run 10 yards just to get to the
    quarterback. Is this a viable option to give Rivers more time or is this just something that the Dolphins think
    is necessary for their young qb?

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 31 / -0
    Is this thread a joke? I know you were some kind of great player in high school Al Bundy, but leave the coaching to the professionals.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Some of the stuff you are suggesting will not work. You should know better considering you played the game (as you claimed).

Using squib kicks everytime has a low chance of recovery and gives the opposing team excellent field position. The same thing with your suggestion to kick the ball high in the air (whatever the heck that means or accomplishes). The ball has to travel 10 yards for the kicking team to recover it and if they do not the opponents have the ball on the 30 yard line and in field goal range.

Crowding the LOS with as many people as possible to blitz on every down is not good strategy. Have you ever the heard the phrase "live and die by the blitz ?" You blitz every down and you will get burned in this league for a longass TD.

Oh and Nate badly missing tackles means he should stick to kicking the ball and not tackling.

17. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I respect others opinions :)- never said blitz ever play just make it look that way get it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_kick

"Strategy

The Squib kick is a tactic used to prevent a long return, usually at the end of the half. On average the receiving team will gain better field position than it would returning a normal kick. However it is considered worthwhile by the kicking team, as it is more difficult to return for a touchdown."- If done my way u will have better that that results as well. Usually even deeper overall than normal i won't disclose my style of it. Our team has already given up 3 TD in 3 games something to consider friends :).

It's not an on-side kick notice the difference.

Joe= Shuffling your feet vs standing still is a huge tactical adv. for any QB. I won't disclose too much as i coach pro in diff sport :). Know this your reaction times to problems is way faster and your ability to stay loose under pressure is assured, add to this proper breathing.... I could improve #17 Rivers performance in big games quickly just by fixing 4 things. His targets, movement in pocket, shuffling his feet & breathing properly when throwing.

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +872 / 5 / -0
    Sounds like somebody has an alter ego, and responds positively to his or her own postings. And I am not talking about Trumpy...

19. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    LOL!

20. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    :whistling::icon_sleep:

21. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    I heard LightEmUp loves pictures.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    #1 Find a kicker who can put the ball into the endzone on kickoffs. Did ya'll watch the NE kicker last night?

23. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Did ya see the Miami kicker put the ball 3 yards deep into the end-zone? How did that end up? Your problem is that you think that 1+1 always equals 2 and in football it doesn't.

24. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Good job on this one too Conc,......

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Did you report any posts in this thread LEU?

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  27. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Dude, this guy got banned from the Chargers.com board and it ignored on the ESPN board, so he come here with his crap? It is only a matter of time before the same thing happens here as happened on the Chargers.com board

• Like Like x 1
  29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    What happened on the Chargers.com Board?

Now you gone and made me post in this ego's attempt at an objective *i think* thread. Smells of the same shi from last time. Keep your Strats, and come up with a legitimate resume and go a head MAIL it in to the NFL. Im sure some job openings are gonna be open soon as is every year. You should really employ your Warhammer Strats harder than ever. One of these days we mere Fans will get you your dream job in the NFL. Just not for the Chargers. Hope you can out coach McDondalds, cuz he realy isnt that good anyway.

1 EGO chargers ball. You could do alot better I think if you could drop some of the smug arrogant attitude. You are a legend at VGs we get it. Bravo. One of the greatest ever at Halo was a 8 year old. Does that make you even more special b/c you are playing with real life games, not jus a simulation...

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I think he just got banned for being a tool and annoying everyone. I think he holds the record for the most times replying to your own thread because no one else pays attention to him