1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

1ST ROUND OF 3 PICKEM

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RMANCIL, Jan 21, 2007.

?

1ST ROUND PICK EM

Poll closed Jan 28, 2007.
  1. Sidney Rice WR 6-2, 200 South Carolina

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Patrick Willis LB 6-2, 230 Mississippi

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Robert Meacham WR 6-2, 205 Tennessee

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Paul Posluszny LB 6-1, 238 Penn State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dwayne Bowe WR 6-2. 220 LSU

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. Michael Griffin FS 6-0, 205 Texas

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  7. LaMarr Woodley DE 6-2, 270 Michigan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Justin Blalock OG 6-4, 330 Texas

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. Aaron Rouse SS 6-3, 220 Virginia Tech

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  10. Quinn Pitcock DT 6-3, 295 Ohio State

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    You have three rounds and keep in mind you have 2 picks in the third.
  2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    I would have gone with Buster Davis, but since he isnt on here I will go with Griffin!
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Our top need is a true backup for the Manster Jamal.
  4. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    You should look at all three rounds before you vote.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    I think Johnny Lee higgins will be a first rounder and I'd like him uber alles
  6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Sweet, didnt even have to look past the first option

To bad in round 2 i had to look all the way to the last option
  7. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    LaRon Landry FS
  8. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    At 30??? What are the odds???
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    next to none @ 30... trading up....
  10. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I'd rather keep my picks and take Michael Griffin. It'd cost too much to trade for Landry.
  11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    in past years I'd agree Roo,... but I'm tired of "settling" for next best... this team needs only 3 key players: a centerfielder, a legit #1 WR and a OG that can replace either Goff or Deilman... Landry/Meachem/Grubbs or Beekman... only need 3 picks.... :yes: ... a stud ILB would be nice for the other 3 rdr - Waters... :lol: rds 4-7 are tradeable, not to mention any position players we could move (Turner)...
  12. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Turner is the wild card. If they trade him (I think they will) that could give them the ammo they need to get a guy like Landry. I doubt like hell that AJ will touch Meachem due to his reputation. It's obvious that AJ is fed up with the off the field trouble and he'll shy away from any players that have had any similar trouble.

I like Michael Griffin myself and I think we could land him at 30.
  13. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Let me say this on the WR front , Bowe will be drafted ahead of Rice or Meachem and he will be a very good pro. He has the skill set to play and have a major impact in his 1st year.

Rice does not hold a candle to him.
  14. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Watching the Senior bowl coverage, I have to agree. He's a very good prospect. I'd love to see him on the Chargers. For several years, I've been arguing against taking a WR with a first day pick because I thought the guys we have a good enough. This year though, I've seen how our offense dropped off late in the year when Floyd was lost and both Parker and McCardell missed games or played hurt. It's time to add depth and prepare for the retirement of McCardell. Bowe would be a great addition. I'm reminded of Anquan Boldin when I watch Bowe, he seems to have a similar mix of speed and power. If the rumor of the Jets wanting to send us a first for Turner is true, we could take a WR and fill in one of our other needs in round one. That'd be sweet.
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    to be honest the more I think about the WRs and our group, we've already got good hands and height and strength and even route running. WHat we are bluntly missing, and only missing, is SPEED. In the end I don't care about size (we've got Jackson/Floyd), I don't care about route running as much (PArker), I don't care about Blocking (Osgood/Jackson), what I want is someone who just FLYS and thats Johnny Lee Higgins
  16. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    The idea of speed is to be able to get separation in man coverage and to be a scoring threat outside the red zone. After watching Higgins I think he will need a good amount of work to become that type of player in the N.F.L.

He has to improve on his basic ablity to run off a CB , yesterday he tipped the CB that he was going to cut well in advance of going into his break by altering his stride very early as a result the fast CB which he will face in the N.F.L. see his route coming and will jump it.

Bowe does not have the size that Floyd and Jackson have at 6-5 as he is just 6-2 but he physic is well cut and his size does better fit the short passing game in that he does not have the long stride that Jackson and Floyd have.

He is much quicker in and out of his turns and he maintains his speed in and out very well and as a result he gets very good separation which is exactly what you want from a WR facing man press coverage on 3rd and 5.

His size also allows for what I call the "Boldin effect" named after a WR who plays in Arizona. The "Boldin effect " results in CB being smashed and left behind as the wr runs over , around and threw them. The major difference with Bowe is he has pretty good speed as well so while he isn't a 4:3 guy he is a 4:49 guy and he can block and I mean big time.

Parker has in the past along with McCardell been our possession WR however McCardell faded a great deal down the stretch and you just can't pull Parker every time you want to run a draw play becuase he can't block.

We do pull him now in the Gold zone for that reason and his size hurts us inside the 20 .

Bowe is a weapon and he fits with this offense big time. I think we would be very fortunate to get him and after watching Higgins the past couple of days I think he will develop he is not 1st round material.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0

Agree, i do like Bowe and have for a couple of years now. Good size and good blocker, just a good player.

Rice has big potentual and i do like him too but i havent seen enough of him and he is only a sophomore so he might need more time to develope.

IF we do end up trading Turner to the Jets.... id try and get Griffin and Bowe with those picks
  18. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0

:lol: ..well thought out man
  19. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I like Higgens raw speed too and I like the idea of a WR that could handle returns for the first couple of years while he's learning to be an NFL WR. However, i don't see him as a first rounder because he seems so raw. If they could get him with a third, I'd think it was a very good pick.
  20. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Bowe should run like a 4.55-4.61

Boldin ran 4.71 at the combine in '03

Bowe looks good at the senior bowl but I would like to see him go up against a good CB. The CB crop at the combine is very raw and there are lots of midgets.
  21. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I haven't had a lot of time to watch the senior bowl so I don't know if they are playing again each other but aren't daymien hughes and leon hall both playing in this game?

if so, have they squared off against each other yet?
  22. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    They will only face each other during the game since they are on the opposite team.
  23. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0

The South CB roster includes David Irons, Fred Bennett ,Kevin Payne, Brandon Meriweather, Michael Griffin ,Jonathan Wade, and Aaron Ross all in all a pretty good group.

I also don't buy your 40 time for Bowe and in my book for the Chargers and our short/med passing game we need a guy who has the route running ablity to beat man press coverage who can get seperation and who can sale a double move and go long.

Nobody in this draft does that better than Bowe. He also blocks.

Brandon Myles 6-1 183 West Virginia is a 2nd or 3rd round kid who can beat the press as well. I don't see him blocking or running over people like Bowe but in a lower round wr he fits the short - med passing game.
  24. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0

If we landed both Griffin and Bowe that would be a outstanding draft.
  25. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0

You don't buy my 40 time?

Do you honestly think this guy can run sub 4.5? Ok I will stretch it out a bit more... anywhere from 4.53-4.61. I like Bowe don't get me wrong and I would be very happy with the Chargers drafting him but I have questions about how he will translate to the NFL. At worst he will be a #2 in the NFL but I think there are receivers with more potential in the draft. I have to wonder how he will match up with guys who have the speed+size combination at CB. The real question is do we want another guy who is just very solid all around or do we want a guy with a particular attribute that can create matchup problems. The Boldin comparison is ok but Bowe will not be the type of YAC machine that Boldin is and will have to really be a good route runner to be great in the NFL. I don't think a team like New England would pass on Bowe so if we want him we would probably have to move up.
  26. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    From NFL Drat Scout -

Name: Dwayne Bowe
    College: LSU Number: 80
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 222
    Position: WR Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
    40 Time: 4.52 40 Low: 4.49 40 High: 4.55
    Projected Round: 1
    • Like Like x 1
  27. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    His size is clearly a advantage he has on most CB . At 6-2 220 I don't know of a CB who does match up. Potential is a word that is used often with a lot of players tell me which WR do you like that have better Potential ?

The straight line 40 speed is not the be all end all when it comes to wr. What you want is a player who can get into his breaks and out of them while maintaining his speed and a player who does a good job of selling his routes.

Chad Johnson , Anquan Boldin , T.J. Houshmandzadeh , Larry Fitzgerald are all players who don't have blazing straight line speed but who are great wr because of their route running talents and speed along with their size.

Larry Fitzgerald
    Position: WR
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 226

T.J. Houshmandzadeh
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 199

Anquan Boldin
    Weight: 223

Chad Johnson
    Weight: 192

The Best player to ever play the wr position was Jerry Rice and he scored a lot of TD with his 4:55 speed .

Who knows where teams will pick players right now as the F.A. period will effect team needs big time and their are always surprises in every draft. All I know is that while I have been on the Bowe bandwagon for a while I see a lot of national media jumping on in a big way during Senior Bowl week and I expect a lot of you will join me on board as well.
    :lol:
    • Like Like x 1
  28. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Sidney Rice with two years more experience is miles ahead of Dwayne Bowe right now. Rice is only 20 and people are forgetting this. He catches everything thrown his way and you can see that in a few years he will fill out his frame and elevate his game. You were bashing Rice for putting up numbers against bad teams but look at Bowe and when he put up his numbers. Bowe has a chance to be great, Rice has a chance to be phenomenal. Bowe is a safer pick.

Chad Johnson and Housh have 'size' at 6'1 and under 200 pounds? Ok chief whatever you say :icon_rofl:

You don't know a CB that matches up well? Go tell that to guys like Rashean Mathis, Champ Bailey, Chris McAlister, Cro... etc etc etc....
  29. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Means nothing, it is just an estimation. Rarely do players run better than what people estimate, and like RMANCIL said, 40 times don't matter that much.