1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

1ST ROUND OF 3 PICKEM

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RMANCIL, Jan 21, 2007.

?

1ST ROUND PICK EM

Poll closed Jan 28, 2007.
  1. Sidney Rice WR 6-2, 200 South Carolina

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Patrick Willis LB 6-2, 230 Mississippi

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Robert Meacham WR 6-2, 205 Tennessee

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Paul Posluszny LB 6-1, 238 Penn State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dwayne Bowe WR 6-2. 220 LSU

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. Michael Griffin FS 6-0, 205 Texas

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  7. LaMarr Woodley DE 6-2, 270 Michigan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Justin Blalock OG 6-4, 330 Texas

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. Aaron Rouse SS 6-3, 220 Virginia Tech

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  10. Quinn Pitcock DT 6-3, 295 Ohio State

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that too. We've all seen guys that aren't particularly fast get behind everyone else on the field. Good routes and some muscle can do wonders! I'm sure there is some sort of time that would be just too slow - like me, I need 2.4 days to run the forty, but almost every WR in the league has enough speed to get deep if the can make to moves. I think the guys with the extreme speed have the advantage of being able to turn the short pass into a long TD more so that the advantage of getting deep. The very first thing to look for is "can the guy catch?". To me, you can have the guys with 4.25 speed if they can't catch - I'll take a 4.52 guy with soft hands every time.
  2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Hey I am impressed with your insight and that is what I look for too. I love the players who you can say are 'born to play' a certain position. A guy like Nick Mangold last year who has played center exclusively since he was like 7 years old in pop warner... these are the 'true' players. Proper receiving technique is essential to being a successful NFL receiver. This is why AJ loves receivers with size and basketball experience... they don't even need to be fast or quick in and out of their breaks, all they need to do is be able to shield the defender with their body and make the catch, and the rest is icing. Receivers with basketball experience also tend to adjust to poorly thrown balls very well. Sidney does just that... his receiving skills are VERY refined for a guy who will be 20 years old going into the preseason next year. The knock on him is that he is a product of the spurrier offense but I disagree. He had an incredible freshman season putting up insane numbers for a freshman wideout with almost no football experience. He looks so smooth running his routes. The guy is a gamer and will let out a scream here and there after a catch. What can I say I have loved this kid for a long time and I think he will be an outstanding receiver in the NFL if he sculpts his body in the weight room. He is still at such an age where you can call him a 'man-child'.
  3. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Just a reminder, we get a little excited over these players we see in the Senior bowl practice but we shouldn't overlook the guys like Rice that aren't invited because they aren't Seniors. My only gripe about Rice is he an awful lot of his catches are body catches. On the other hand, I loved Lance Alworth and he made an awful lot of his catches in the same way. Besides, I think I heard of a guy named rice somewhere before. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    A huge misconception about Rice is that he does not give effort as a blocker. This could not be further from the truth... he always goes at it and gives a very consistent effort as a blocker. He is not a slacker and will play from snap to whistle and do what it takes to win. This is encouraging from a guy with his frame... the dude is passionate about football and hates to lose.

Another thing that stands out about him is his double moves. He has flashed some outstanding double moves the past two years... I am talking Allen Iverson crossover style :kisskiss:
  5. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0

21 Chris McAlister Other Defensive Backs|Team Roster. Height: 6-1. Weight: 206

Champ Bailey. Position: CB Height: 6-0 Weight: 192

Rashean Mathis. Position: CB. Height: 6-1. Weight: 200

All three larger CB but they don't match up giving up 1 or 2 inchs and Apx 20 to 30 lbs .

I don't know of any CB that is 6-2 and weighs in at 222

Aaron Rouse SS 6-3, 220 Virginia Tech matchs up but he lacks strong cover skills , but man I would love to see him fall to us in the second round and we make him a Cover ILB.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I'm now in with the group that wants a better saftey. I wasn't sure until I checked out reggie nelson and texas's griffin. These guys are good. It would be hard to not have a good pass defense with either of these playing safteys with us. It would be best to get the best athelte with our first pick. And both these guys are that.

here's a video of nelson. Couldn't find one of griffin.
  7. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0

I saw Aaron Rouse when I went to BC and he was getting owned as a safety by Challenger and Gonzalez all game long. He is a good team player but he is like DFlo and will commit mental errors and do stupid things on the field. He is a project at linebacker. Don't know where he'll go but I would assume in the early 3rd round simply because of his measurables. If he REALLY puts on a show he might creep into the mid-late 2nd but I doubt it.

And just because a CB doesn't weigh as much as any given WR doesn't mean they don't match up. As long as they can go stride for stride and contest jumpballs, they match up. All the CBs I listed also have exceptionally long arms and great anticipation.
  8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    AJ says it year after year... they go by a big board and take the BPA, unless they have a need, in which case they will go for need so long as the need player doesn't waver in value on their value chart in relation to where they are drafting.
  9. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Size and weight never guarantee a dog will win in a fight but it is also wise to not ignore the bigger dog if he has a big heart as the odds are.....

Scouting players is all about size speed and talent and trying to project that to the next level and it is not a exact science and as such I enjoy it a great deal.

You take Rice and I will take Bowe and we will see in time who is the better player.

Avg CB is about 5-9 185 I like 6-2 220 and I will take 20 lbs plus advantage if the skill set is equal and say at the end of the day in most cases the big man wins.

Jump balls take the height and the vertical leap and if the 6-2 jumps 35 inch and if the 5-9 jumps 40 the taller man will win with body contact and longer wing span.
  10. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Nelson is the best safety in this draft imop.
  11. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Our obvious needs are..

A safety that can scare the receivers.
    A speedy receiver. Our receivers have size but we need some speed to complement them.
    OL backup.
    ILB's.
  12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    That dude looks tough and plays with an attitude. Coming from a winner too. He would look good back there. If Willis is gone he is my pick.