1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2007 HOLIDAY RECIPES--POST THEM HERE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carrie1219, Oct 30, 2007.

1. DefenseWins

DefenseWins New Member

Ratings Received:
    +246 / 0 / -0
    Save me a piece!! :yes:
    "Hello, my name is Kimmie and I admit I'm powerless against my addiction":lol:
    :icon_tease:
  2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    I'll post some healthy weight watchers appetizers that are pretty good... See whatcha think...

Spinach triangles I'm making these for the first time this year-double batch.

INGREDIENTS

10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed
    1 medium onion(s)
    1 medium garlic clove(s), minced, 1/2 tsp
    3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
    1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese, drained
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    3 sheet phyllo dough, (about 12 x 17 inches each)

INSTRUCTIONS

Squeeze excess liquid from the spinach and set aside.

Coat an unheated large skillet with cooking spray. Add the onions and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the spinach.

In a large bowl, combine the feta cheese, cottage cheese and oregano. Stir in the spinach mixture.

Preheat the oven to 375°F (175°C). Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a piece of wax paper; coat evenly with spray. Repeat layering and spraying the phyllo two more time (you'll use a total of 3 sheets).

Cut the stack of prepared phyllo dough horizontally into six strips, then vertically into 4 strips. You should end up with 24 squares. Place a teaspoon of spinach filling into the centre of each square and fold it in half so that your square is now a triangle.

Transfer the filled triangles to the prepared baking sheet. Coat with spray. Bake until golden brown, 15 minutes. Yields 2 triangles per serving.

***To ensure these appetizers are crispy, make sure to use fat-free cottage cheese drained of any excess water. Spray the phyllo well and work with it quickly, so it does not dry out.*****
  3. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    Wild Mushrooms on Polenta Rounds

Ingredients

17 oz cooked cornmeal, in the form of a prepared polenta log, sliced into 16 rounds. Oh hell, just buy the prepared polenta logs/rounds. Much easier :lol:
    2 sprays olive oil cooking spray.
    8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided (Parmigiano Reggiano recommended)
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 1/4 pound mushroom(s), shiitake caps and Baby Bellas, sliced
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp rosemary, fresh, chopped
    1/4 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    3 Tbsp 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
    1/4 cup water
    2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped (for garnish)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil (for easy clean-up) or coat pan with cooking spray.

Arrange polenta on pan in a single layer. Lightly coat polenta with cooking spray and sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoon of cheese; bake until cheese is lightly browned, about 15 to 18 minutes.

While polenta rounds bake, prepare mushroom topping. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Stir cream cheese and water into skillet; cook over low heat until cream cheese melts and mixture looks creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes.

To assemble, place about 2 tablespoons of mushroom mixture onto each polenta round. Sprinkle each round with 1/4 teaspoon cheese; sprinkle with parsley to garnish. Yields 2 polenta rounds per serving.

Notes

**You can make the polenta rounds and top them with the mushroom mixture a few hours before you plan to serve them. Just reheat them in a 350ºF oven for about 10 minutes. Then create a festive serving platter garnish using rosemary sprigs and some fresh or dried cranberries.**

**Upscale convenience foods like prepared polenta logs and sliced wild mushrooms make easy work of this fabulous party appetizer**
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,450 / 19 / -4
    you know what, if you guys will be down here in SD for the Chargers game Xmas Eve, why don't we make and bring these to the tailgate?
  5. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    ANT... After you taste the cooking of the BT women, no other woman will be good enough for you... You'll be ruined.

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:
  6. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    I sure hope more people add ideas to this thread... We can resurrect this thread every year with updates and new ideas.

I see Jasmine's fudge made it to the thread this year. :tup:

Chippie, I'm making your cranberries this year... :tup: :yes:
  7. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    I want to add some cocktail recipes to this thread this year for those of us that want to get our dates drunk... :icon_tease: :lol:

:icon_party:
  8. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Hey Carrie!
    Here are some cocktail recipes that were printed in the Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine. The recipes are from restaurant/bars in the city.

Blood Orange Champagne Cocktail
    Restaurant: Enclave
    Fashionable nightclub attracts celebrities and local hot shots for bottle service and deejays who rock.

Fill glass pitcher with 1 oz. Grand Marnier, 1/2 oz. Amaretto, 1 oz. fresh squeezed blood orange juice and one bottle of Champagne. Chill on ice, serve in champagne glasses, garnish with orange sprig.

Smooth Criminal
    Restaurant/Bar: Lakewiew Broadcasting Company
    Where the cool kids hang out is a throw-back to childhood-if you grew up in the 1970's-offering updated twists to cocktails, bar fare and even music

Mix 2 oz. Absolut Vanil, 2 oz. creme de cacao, 1 oz. half and half, and sprinkle with Oreo cookie crumbles in tin shaker, add to champagne glass, garnish with 3 Oreo cookies.

Lookingglass Martini
    Restaurant/NoMI
    Upgrade your nightlife routine at this upscale lounge overlooking Mag Mile. Tucked inside the Park Hyatt, NoMI is not your average hotel bar.

Mix 1/1/2 oz. Stoli Razberi, 1 oz. Triple Sec, 1/2 oz. white cranberry juice and top off with rose' champagne in a tin shaker over ice and shake well. Pour into martini glass and garnish with two fresh raspberries.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Chispa!
    I had four freaking POUNDS of salmon filet, plus a huge halibut steak for Ryan. I ended up making two batches of the marinade. I think I skimped on the peppers. I used one med/large jalapeno and one serrano per batch. I think I will kick it up a notch next time. The flavors are incredible! The sweet/hot thing was awesome! I really don't like salmon but this stuff was pretty good! LOL! Actually, Ryan's halibut was the BEST. I served it with steamed rice, steamed asparagus with lemon/butter, and a green salad with tomatoes, cukes, radishes, SNOW PEAS, scallions, avocado with this awesome salad dressing I found at my local "cool" store. Sunset Foods....yum! The dressing is made by "Girards" and is called "Wasabi Ginger". This stuff would also make a great marinade for prolly fish or the dreaded chicken.:yes:
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,450 / 19 / -4
    Hmmmmmm.......................let's test that :flag:
    seriously, i tink it'd be an awesome christmas eve dinner for us BT guys
  11. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Appetizer Recipe
    Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine

SEARED SCALLOPS ON CRISPY WONTONS
    servers 2 (HUH? I would think you could tweak this to serve more peoples)
    4 wonton wrappers
    Veg. oil for frying
    4 sea scallops (about 1/2 ounce each), trimmed and cleaned
    1 1/2 TBS butter
    1/2 twp finely grated lemon rind
    1 green onion, finely sliced lengthwise
    Sea salt
    Cracked black pepper

1. To make the crispy wontons, cut a circle from each wonton using a round 2 1/4 inch cookie cutter. Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a pan over high heat. Cook the wontons two at a time until golden and crisp, about 5 to 15 seconds. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

2. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add the butter and melt. Add the lemon rind (zest? I am confused) and stir. Sprinkle the scallops with salt and pepper, add to the pan and cook for 30 seconds on each side or until golden and just cooked through, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes total. Place a little of the green onion on each wonton crisp and top with a scallop. Spoon over a little of the pan juices and serve with pre-dinner drinks.
  12. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Okay Sweetie! Here we go........:yes:
    Read along and take notes damnit!:tup:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    I collect cookbooks whenever I travel. Here are some local recipes from Sedona, AZ.
    This one is an appetizer.
    Artichoke and Olive Dip
    1 14 oz. jar artichoke hearts,drained and chopped
    1 c. mayonnaise (regular or light)
    1 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 c. sliced ripe olives
    2 TBS. chopped tomato

Combine the artichoke hearts, mayo, parm, garlic, and 3/4 c. olives. Spread in a 9" pie plate. Sprinkle with tomato and remaining olives. Preheat oven ot 350 and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with crackers or toasted pita chips. Serves 8.

***For a southwester flavor, replace the olives with diced green chilies.
  14. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Expinaca con Queso
    2 oz. butter
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 bunch scallions, chopped
    2 large cloves garlic, chopped
    1 cup chopped cilantro
    1 1/2 tsp. cumin
    1 1/4 lb. fresh spinach
    1 1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 1/4 lb. jalapeno jack cheese, shredded

Melt butter in pan. Add onion, scallions, garlic, cilantro, and cumin;saute until soft. Clean and chop spinach (buy the bag stuff), and add to the onion mixture; stir until wilted. Add cream and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cheese and stir well until melted.
    Serve hot with tortilla chips.
  15. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Huevos de Diablo
    12 hard boiled eggs
    1 tsp. white vinegar
    1 tsp. honey
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    2 TBS. finely minced celery
    2 TBS. finely minced green onion (scallions)
    1/2 c. diced green chilies
    1 tsp. dijon mustard
    salt and cayenne pepper to taste
    mayo to moisten
    paprika
    fresh cilantro leaves

Cut eggs in half horizontally (so ends of "cups"will stand up, and remove egg yolks from whites. Combine egg yolks with vinegar, honey, cumin, celery, onion, chilies, mustard, paprika, salt, and cayene pepper. Add enough mayo to moistne and mix thoroughly. Scoop yolk mixture into egg-white cups. Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with cilantro leaves.
  16. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    One more Sedona Recipe!

Queso Log

2 cups Longhorn or medium cheddar cheese, grated
    2 cups Monterrey Jack Cheese, grated
    1/4 cup Mayo (No Miracle Whip!)
    1/4 cup sour mash Bourbon
    1/4 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
    1 cup Pecans, crushed

Combine all ingredients until smooth. Shape into log and chill untl set, about 2 hours.
  17. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Unbelievably awesome! My fave fish is Chilean Sea Bass. I can't wait to try the marinade on that bad boy!
  18. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Stuffed Rosemary Brie
    Yield: about 10 to 15 servings

2 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated, stemmed and chopped
    1/2 to 1 bunch green onions (scallions), white and green parts, chopped
    Fresh ground pepper to taste
    2 to 4 TBS. minced fresh rosemary
    1 1/2 cups almonds, toasted, and chopped
    2 pounds brie (wheel or wedge)

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Combine all the ingredients, except the brie, in a food prosessor fitted with the metal blade and process, or combine in a bow.

2. Slice the brie in half crosswise to form 2 circles or 2 wedges. Place the bottom half on an ovenproof platter or in a an ovenproof pan attractive enough to serve in.

3. Top that piece with half of the shiitake mixture. Place the other piece of brie on top and top with the remaining mixture.

4. Bake until hot and the cheese just starts to melt, about 15 mins.

You can also substitute the fresh rosemary with either minced roasted garlic added to the mushroom mix or your herb of choice.

Serve with either assorted crackers, Melba or Crostini, or Pita Chips
  19. Chelsea

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I shouldn't have de-seeded both the jalapeno and the serrano? I think it is recipe that you just need to play around with and eyeball stuff. The boys loved it!:icon_toast:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Sweet and sour sauce?

Or a Thia giner, green curry sauce... Mmmmm.... *smacking of lips*
  21. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
  22. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    Chippie, I looked at the sauces... I liked the cashew dipping sauce for shrimp and veggies... Could serve two purposes.. and not be too strong from some guests.

Wasabi dipping sauce sounds really really good for a time you're serving a totaly Asian theme.

Hay, I think I'm going to make your cranberry recipe...OR... do a brandied cranberry recipe..

Oh and I still have to go to the liquor store... which is generally packed in Utah, the day before Thanksgiving... Arrrrgghhh.
  23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Happy Thanksgiving Carrie. Hope you are feeling better.
  24. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0

I'm doing better, Conc. Hope you get feeling better too.