1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2007 HOLIDAY RECIPES--POST THEM HERE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carrie1219, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,725 / 39 / -8
    Thanks, today I am hacking up gobs of green gunk. But I think I am starting to get better... (probably more info than you wanted huh?)[​IMG]

Would anyone mind their recipes being published in the Bugle. If so just say so and we wont publish them...

2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0

:lol:

Believe me, I KNOW what you're going through.

I don't care if you post recipes in the Bugle. Does anyone want a brandied cranberry recipe... If I get lazy and don't make Chippie's cranberry recipe? I'll prolly make this one.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,725 / 39 / -8
    Yes please! Man I am starting to geel the codine...:icon_eek:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

:icon_toast::icon_toast::icon_toast::icon_toast:

5. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    My older daughter's boyfriend likes to cook (and eat! He's 6 '7" 250 lbs)...his favorite dish to make is Homemade Macaroni and Cheese :icon_eek: so I am going to get him the ingredients today so he can make it for tomorrow...

I love it :icon_eek: and never get to eat it ...plus my mom's homemade apple pie and mashed potatoes with homemade gravy and the broccoli with cheese casserole thing...I don't even care about the turkey!

It's gonna be payback on Friday...no eating nuthin.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,725 / 39 / -8
    Your making me hungry!!!!

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    How did everything turn out everyone? Let's hear some braggin!!!!! :icon_banana::icon_banana::icon_banana:

8. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    You should have your own magazine.

9. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Your spread sounded amazing. I am going to try that pickling method that you use. My Great Grama used to make pickles, so I have always loved different pickling methods.

EC's mac and cheese:

1 pound bag of dry large elbow macaroni cooked au dente, run under cool water to stop the noodles from cooking, and set aside to drain for a half hour or so.

Cook some bacon- I have no idea how much I actually used as many pieces were sacrificed to me and Bear (dogs and bacon, what can you do?), but I cooked a regular sized thing of bacon. Chop it up after it's cooked.

1 lb shrimp. I used raw 61-70's by Contessa and fried them in the bacon grease. Perfect little bite sized shrimp. Again, many of the little guys didn't make it due to me and Bear. Have I mentioned that Bear really loves Thanksgiving? :lol:

I will guess 1.5 lbs of meat (combined) is the target.

Set meats aside.

In a medium sauce pan:

1/2 cup of unsalted butter
    A few garlic cloves
    A medium onion
    Both finely chopped and sautéed in the butter until tansluscent. Be careful not to burn butter.

Pull it from the heat and slowly add a half cup of flour to make a nice roux.

Return to the burner at low heat while adding:
    1 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    Slowly add these in, stirring it to a nice smooth texture. Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring continually. This will break the flour down. Now it gets good...

Add in:
    1.5 cups sharp cheddar
    3/4 cup goat cheese
    1/2 cup swiss gruyere
    2 tablespoons of truffle oil (expensive but well worth it)
    Add in the meat
    Season to taste with white pepper and salt
    Stir stir stir making sure there is no burning.

Let all that cheesy goodness simmer together constantly stirring it, then when you are satisfied, mix it with the noodles (I use a stock pot to avoid spills). If you want a cheesier mac, don't use all the noodles. With the cool noodles this should be about room temp at this point. Pour it into a baking dish, top it with asiago cheese and bread crumbs. Bake at 375 for a half hour.

Serve it up and enjoy.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. :tup:

10. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    Nice job Chippie..

I saved dog's shrimp dip recipe... I'd love your wasabi dip recipe and the shrimp dip recipe that you used yesterday.

EC, your macaroni and cheese sounds soooo delicious. However, I'm going to have to lay off that kind of food for a while. I'm still trying to lose some weight. :icon_shrug:

11. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    If anyone has a really really good candied yam recipe, let me know... I'm mashing some yams up now and thinking I might make some candied yams tonight. How funny, just after mentioning that I'm on a diet... :eek:

12. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    Sounds delicious doesn't it....sans the bacon for me. Love the shrimp.

13. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    All tonight :icon_eek: lol

I also had some excellent but more basic southern-type Mac n Cheese yesterday (see post somewhere above)...I will get the recipe and post it...I'm making it to take for Christmas since it was a huge hit...it was polished off...

I wish I had it now!

14. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Mac and cheese rocks. Hanstly, the truffle oil is the key and most dominant flavor. It makes the dish extremely rich on the palette, which makes it better as a side (smaller portion).

I shudder to think of how many thousands of calories each scoop has. :lol:

15. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    Calories don't count on Holidays lol...and it sounds absolutely delicious! And pumpkin pie is technically a vegetable so it's good for you...

16. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    OK MrsLAsh and the other ladies made all the fancy stuff. But since we have thansgiving dinner out door under the patio I had the firepit going off to the side, and after dinner I made SMORES! big hit with all especially the kids.:icon_banana:

• Like Like x 1
  17. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    Yummy :)

Well yesterday I was still lethargic from the mac and cheese and not too much energy but I just got back from a 90 minutes 700+ calories burned on the treadmill/elliptical/cross ramp workout so I feel better...back on the wagon thing...

But I still have evil thoughts of that mac and cheese :icon_eek: It'll have to wait until Christmas...

I really really miss my black little video iPod and hope it turns up soon...:(

Have a nice pre-game Saturday evening everybody...

18. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    It is nice to stay home. I hope PR has a good day today...he needs it for his morale...

19. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0
    Or you're pregnant :icon_eek: