1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2007 NFL Draft grades

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Apr 28, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    You read it wrong. It is the grade below the team name, not above. The Chargers got a D, the Raiders got an F, Denver got a D, and KC got a D-
  4. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    :lol:

and I haven't started drinking
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    It definitely was not that good of a draft

I think Weddle gets known more for his mistakes then when he does something good. Naane was a development prospect who's played well. Siler could be a starter and Davis is FINALLY showing some signs of knowing what he's doing.

But yeah compared to others it wasn't good.

Not looking forward to grading 2008, FAIL
  6. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    really? c'mon really???
    please elucidate por favor.
  7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I'd give us a C- for that draft with Legedu and Siler picking it up towards the end.

I'll give Weddle some credit for earning a starting spot (not that hard to do with the safeties we've had on this team) but I'm not a fan of his. I can't believe some people on this message board call him a top 10 safety. He's in the bottom third at his position in the NFL. Racking up tackle stats because we have a soft front 7 doesn't impress me. Neither does getting abused repeatedly by a guy like Tony Scheffler or gettign run over by Shonn Greene in the most important tackle attempt of your career.

Davis is a complete bust. Just can't stay healthy. Naanee has clearly locked down the spot ahead of him on the depth chart. Could still turn it around...but I doubt it.
  8. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +93 / 2 / -0
    I would say a C also. The guys listed are still on the team and are making contributions tot he team. Buster Davis is bringing the entire grade down and he still may do something(i hope). But all in all a very average draft.
  9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 2 / -1
    There is the potential for alot of these players to have breakout years this year1

Weddle is only going to get better with more experience...Siler will no doubt be given more opportunities...Buster Davis could surprise a few people if he manages to make a few important plays in the passing game.

If we make the playoffs again and these players all manage to contribute, we could be looking back on that draft very differently.
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21

I give it a C-

Weddle- Solid starter but not great.
    Naanee- Solid #3, can't expect to get much more out of the 4th round.
    Siler- This was more luck than skill landing him in the 7th. He was a spark for us last year and has upside.
  11. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    what about our undrafted free agents that year?

they should count
  12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    For me I loved this draft for the most part. It wasnt great by any means. But I think Weddle is a good player and very capable of playing well for years.

Wasnt at all sure who the hell CBD was then but even then I wanted a diff receiver named D Bowe. But 3 picks ahead snatched by KC. Would also love to have the pick back for A Gonzalez. I will wait and see on CBD if he will be a contributor this year.

Then theres the later round picks Legs and Siler.

The names of these two had me as a fan from day one on the roster. With a nick like LEGS, and Siler being the lead baddie on Heroes I cant help it. They both went from who the hell is this guy to me to I hope this guy gets his shot to move up the depth chart. And albeit slowly they both did finaly get there. Oyea and was lookin for a new guy at ILB since we picked up Nick Roach in the 06 draft. But he got cut and CHI signed him and still has him. At that time there were practicaly zero holes on the team that gave us the chance to keep more project players.

For me this draft grades out in the high C+ low B-.
  13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I don't think our 07 draft was that bad, Davis hasn't done anything yet but missing on your 1st rounder doesn't mean much if you make up for it in the later rounds, and imo AJ did.

Weddle is a solid starter, Legs has leapfrogged Davis to play slot, and Siler looks to have a shot at the starter job.

Davis still has the potential, it's not like he's proven to be a failure, he's had injury problems early on, then really just fell behind. It'd be different if he was given a shot to start all 3 years and still hasn't produced. At best he can maybe squeeze into the slot spot.