1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2008 NFL Draft : The Chargers select...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by MasterOfPuppets, Dec 6, 2007.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -0
    Never too early for espn to preview the draft I guess, anyway, with the 23th pick in the 2008 draft the Chargers select...

23. San Diego Chargers
    Current record: 7-5
    Scouts Inc.'s three biggest needs: ILB, DL, RB
    Projected pick: Rey Maualuga*, ILB, USC
    Maualuga is finishing strong as a junior. He publicly stated he plans on returning to Southern California next fall, but Maualuga wouldn't be the first to renege on such a promise. A strong showing at the combine could catapult the 250-pound middle linebacker into the top-half of the first round.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,091 / 31 / -0
    That guy's a stud, but I don't see us spending a high draft pick on an ILB.

3. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -0
    on a related subject...

I'm not a huge college football watcher (watch whenever I can but spend saturdays with wifey), new years day and the rest of the BCS games I DO watch, with those games in mind, can anyone list the "players to watch" that are potential first rounders?

4. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I'd much rather address NT or safety. We have one good ILB in Cooper, one decent ILB in Wilhelm, and good depth/potential upgrades with Siler and Waters. At safety we have crap, crap, and Weddle. At NT we have Jamal on his last legs and nothing worthwhile beyond him.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Here we go again and just like a broken record, give me a fast fat boy. Give me a tackle either offense or defense and/or a guard. Trenches.

6. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    RT, NT or Safety. LB i'm not worried about with Waters, Dobbins and Siler. We needed to bolster the right side of the o-line and a young stud behind Jamal :yes: Our safety problems are well documented :yes:

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0

:tup::yes::tup:

We need size in the trenches. DE, T, OG, NT............

8. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -0
    I agree on a NT to backup/replace Jamal, for safety I rather look into FA for a veteran, I wouldn't be to happy with a second year player and a rookie at safety

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Our run defense is unacceptable and that **** starts up front. When that is corrected, the secondary gets better by sheer default.

"Line em up 3 deep and let them compete" is right.

A.J. is god.

Buddy Nix is his good old boy ninja assassin.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Gimme Howie Long's kid from Virginia. The D-line would dominate for years to come even after Jamal is gone.

11. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    yes Maualuga is going back to USC along with the other LB (not Rivers the other one)

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,091 / 31 / -0
    Cooper, Wilhelm, Waters and Siler. That's why not. I think Cooper and Waters are the long-term starters for this team. There are more pressing needs, like another safety and another o-linenman.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    he'll be long gone and he's a DE in a 3-4 not a NT. Want a NT go Frank Odom from Texas

14. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    I like Dorsey from LSU (before the injury) he's a BEAST!!

15. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    1. Frank Okam, DT, Texas

Why: Texas run defense ranked #10 in the nation and Okam was a big part of it. Can rush the passer better than any DT currently on our roster, finished '07 with 10 TFLs 5 sacks and 16 QB hurries. Great build, good character - could be had later if he doesn't impress at the combine but he looks good on film and if they reached for Buster they could reach for Frank.

3cmp. Titus Brown, DE/OLB, Miss St.

Why: Anchor of Mississippi State's very aggressive defense. Finished the season with 13.5 TFLs 8 sacks... a solid rush linebacker in a 3-4 system. Defensive leader and great guy to have. True insurance policy for our rush linebackers.

5. Peyton Hillis, FB, Arkansas

Why: Run, catch, block... he can do it all. He is an outstanding football player with surprising athleticism and a weapon we could shift in for Lorenzo to make our offense even more versatile. Can catch passes in the flat and take them for 15-20 yard+ gains unlike Lorenzo. Soft hands and can even line up at receiver. Team leader.

6. Eric Foster, DT, Rutgers

Why: Undersized defensive tackle suited for interior rush duties on 3rd down situations. We haven't been able to generate pressure up the middle on third downs, partially because we don't have any undersized defensive tackles. We are rushing guys like Bingham on 3rd down which is stupid. Foster can knife through the offensive line of scrimmage and get into the backfield which will force opposing QBs to succumb to sacks as the outside linebackers pinch the pocket. Coaches 1st team all big east for two years in a row.

7. Andrew Crummey, OG, Maryland

Why: Crummey could be the Olivea of this draft. Injury has sent his stock crashing but he is money. Good size, doesn't commit stupid penalties, knows who to block, athletically he is no worse than Goff - just a solid player through and through. He is just intelligent and reliable and a huge competitor. Played right guard position his entire career at Maryland.

16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0

Nice job MTL.

How much upside does Crummey have? OG is a big need position IMO. Goff has shown his age, and we need someone who can step in and compete right away for the starting job, and I don't know if we can get him with the last pick. I like Okam at tackle, and I also heard about some guy at A&M, I think his name is Red Bryant? Do you know anything about him? In regards to fullback, it is a need, but is it more of a need than a safety? Maybe AJ can find a safety in free agency.

I like Brown and Foster. Brown played well in the SEC, and we really need as much depth at OLB as we can get, I cringe every time Harris has to have significant playing time.

I'm also happy to see that you didn't have us taking an ILB. I really like Siler, and I think that he'll take a starting job from someone next year. We also need to see what Waters can do for us.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    I think Odom is the best possible pick up and I think its really, outside of S (and that CB/S from Oklahoma Reggie Smith could be something special) the only need we have.

I don't know if we need more LBs considering how heavy we've drafted them over the last few years and with Tucker coming on strong and Harris improving too.

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    Nothing but a fat boy will do.

19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Crummey doesn't have a lot of upside, what you see is what you get with him. He isn't a dominant physical force and will never be a pro-bowler but he is a solid "plug" who can start in the NFL and be successful. I also really like the tackle from Toledo, John Greco. IMO he is a much better prospect than Nick Kaczur was and he is a new england type of o-lineman as well. Rarely lets anything get by him has good size and fundamentals, uses positioning very well, doesn't commit drive killing false starts and holds a la Goff and Olivea. He is under the radar because he plays in the MAC but I think his game will translate very well to the NFL. Early 2nd round grade IMO but nobody will take him then.

As you said depth at rush linebacker is huge and with the physical nature of playing the position it is important to have depth. One or both of our rush linebackers have been inactive on gameday a couple times over the past few years and that trend will probably continue.

I highly doubt we will draft an ILB.

I can't say anything about Red Bryant because I haven't watched A&M a lot. Seems like a boom or bust type.

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    There you go again. Every godddamn year since I joined the internet, you start with your fringe *** players. :tdown:

When the fuc are you going to realize the trenches make **** happen? :icon_shrug:

Your lazy liquored up *** could even run through holes a real monster line can create. I am sick and tired of linemen who play like ****. Shane "T-Rex arms" Olivea was a classic example of a dude who needed to sit down a long effing time ago. Now his *** is on the bench and LT runs wild....albeit against a POS Chiefs team whose fearless leader in Donna Edwards pulled the little biiitch card and went to the lockerroom after getting his vulva ruptured.

TRENCHES GODDDAMMMIT !!!!!!!

21. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    my flavor of this month would be the other LSU doooood...
    DE T.Jackson, 6-5 292 4.85 to actually PLAY in lieu of Luis "China Doll" Castillo....:icon_eek:

shoudda got CANTY damnit...

22. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

23. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -0
    I'll subscribe to "The prophets" teachings and ask the gods (AJ and Buddy) for beef :yes:

I'd like to see Rivers with 4-5 seconds to scan the field like Brady has

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    here's a wild idea. If chris long falls to us we get him. HOwie would love that. And when Jamall has to retire we already have a tank on the d-line , IGOR. Put some beef on him and he should be able to do the job and have chris long go to IGOR's spot. Just an idea.

Definetly need one more very good saftey. But I don't think there will be one in this draft. HOpefully free agency will help us out. Harts reactions are just too slow.

Or if a very good o-lineman landed to us. I'd go defense first though.

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I stayed out of the Rivers can not feel the pocket or does not step up into the pocket threads.

Hey, the pocket has HOLES. The pocket is flabby *** like the jiggly **** you see hanging off old womens throats or biceps gone south of the Equator.

leisure can not wait for the season to be over before he spreads his demon draft seed amongst the unwary. He is a evil biitch. Not unlike Steve Ortmeyer who we all knew was still latched onto Al Davis' hips with his lips while playing GM as a Charger, leisure needs a good old fashioned Catholic exorcism. :yes:

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Castillo's gonna be the nose in a couple of years (if he doesn't break down completely before then). Long would be the perfect guy for depth behind him and Igor and then step in permanently.

And who cares if he's gonna be long gone. It's not like we're gonna land anyone mentioned in this thread anyways. Show me where anyone pegged Buster and Weddle for us last year. :icon_tease:

27. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    Jon Stewart.... :yes:

AJ wouldn't trade up for Landry, so no way in hell he goes up for K.Phillips and there ain't no one else with bling...

this draft suxx...