1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2009 Wish List

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheBeast, Nov 17, 2008.

1. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    2009 FA's I'm interested in.

DL-^^Dear santa for christmas this year i'd like call of duty 5, a mercedes 500, a promotion and JULIUS PEPPERS! Arguebly one of the best DE's in the game, he'll ask for the gold but he's worth it. Does not fit in to our scheme but has adjusted many times in carolina. With a high percent chance Olshanky leaving us, we can make room. If we sign this guy, i garuntee is a sb.

DL-^^ He's playing great in ATL, maybe be what we need once jamal runs out of gas.

Keep in mind these LB's below me are only if we don't draft Rey Mualaga

ILB- ^^A brick wall, still one of the best tackling lb's in the game, and with him having problems with JAX there is a high chance he'll be on a diff. team next year.
    LOLB-^^ Can move him into the inside, adjust very well. Has had great years in BUF next to schobel.

ILB- ^^ I saw this dude play in Miami, he plays with alot of intensity, also very underrated.

SS-^^ Brian Dawkins is intensity with a capital "I", he plays hard, average in coverage and can lay a very big hit. He's a vocal leader and would surely make our secondary scary.

FS-^^ Maybe one the smartest safeties to ever play the game, exceptional in coverage and can lay a mean one also.

The ones in bold are the ones i'm really interested in. Please AJ bring one of these in.

Here's the link for the 2009 FA's:
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Thoughts?

:icon_toast:
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    1. Find a trading partner for Matt Wilhelm and maybe Stephen Cooper
    2. Sign Merriman long term
    3. FA - Ray Lewis (you want leadership and intensity? How about him? Mentors Dobbins and, especially, Waters)
    4. FA - Brian Dawkins (secondary leadership, great addition with Weddle and mentor for Paul Oliver who I wanna move to SS)
    5. FA - Vernon Carey (great swingman and RT, could fit in nicely and move Clary to RG)
    6. Draft Rey Malagua/James Laurinitis and Terrance Taylor (NT Michigan) or Terrance Cody (NT Alabama if he comes out)
  3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 8 / -0
    I don't want Ray Lewis, the leadership will come from Merriman
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Jonathon Babineux isnt even 290 lbs.( 284) He isnt going to play NT in any 3-4 defense.

Dawkins is like 35. Think he'll sign for a 2 year deal? AJ isnt going to offer him anything.

Frankly you and Ant are dreaming and dreaming big. AJ isnt going to sacrafice his comp picks by signing players...especially costly ones.
  5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    1A. Marc Colombo OT- Immediate upgrade over Clary at RT...a driver as a run blocker...something we desperately need to upgrade the line. Dallas has spent a lot of money on their line already and added more huge contracts with Roy Williams, etc....He might be expendable for them.

1B. James Farrior ILB- Tough hard nosed ILB who is excellent against the run. Price should be right at his age. Can come in and start immediately and be a great presence in the middle of the defense.

2. Brian Dawkins FS- I'm pretty convinced that Weddle isn't going to cut it. This guy...even at his age...is a difference maker. 2 year contract.

These are two least feasible scenarios at positions of need.

Peppers? Seriously...We aren't signing those bank breaking FA's...won't happen. Plus...I don't know about the rest of you, but I would dump several of our current defensive "stars" to sign Merriman long-term...Overpaying for a FA who isn't the same level of differnce maker at the cost of losing Merriman isn't worth it.
  6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Oh well sorry for making some possible suggestion to improve our team. I mean the way we're playing there is no room for improvement and that reflects on our EXCELLENT record this year. :icon_evil:

I mean mr. draft guru AJ smith has been doing SO well during the past 2 years in the draft hasn't he?

We need to make our move now because this team won't last for 2 more years. LT is getting old, so is Jamal. We don't have the oppurtunity to be signing scrubs in the offseason, that barely make the PS and than drafting people that take wayyy to long to develop.
  7. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0

Ohh no, I wasn't saying sign all of those people, I am aware that this isn't madden 09, but 1 would be nice.
  8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    If you have been paying attention the past 4 years you would know this isnt realistic.
    You should also know that AJ likes his comp picks and isnt going to sign a bunch of guys and let them go and he certainly isnt going to try and sign Juluis Peppers. That isnt an AJ type of FA that he goes after.
    Neither is Dawkins who is 35. Sure he can still play but he may have one more year left and AJ isnt going to spend on a guy like that.

Now the Marc Columbo suggestion i could possibly see ( boltergeist idea) and he has played well in Dallas which is a surprise after a injury riddled career in Chicago.

As for AJ's drafts.....they werent awful either. Cason is going to be a solid CB. Hester will get his chance and it is too early to say he is a bust and anyone that does at this stage is an idiot.

Michael Turner didnt start as a rookie and played one game in our last one when all the starters sat out. I dont know why he isnt playing but none of us know why either and im not going to call him a bust because it is foolish.

We only had 5 picks in this last draft and 3 were from rounds 5, 6 & 7 on a team with not many spots to fill.
    The 2007 draft is going to produce some good players for us so i dont know what you want.

It isnt like this is 2003 and we need everything. We can dump Wilhelm and his contract and insert Waters who should be a good one. Siler looks promising too.

The only disapointment i can say we have right now is Buster Davis who seems to be a china doll.
    We do need beef on both sides, that is for sure but Babineax is far too light to be playing NT for this team and i agree we have holes, but it isnt AJ's style to go out and spend when we have to sign some of our own who will be costly.

I would like to see us sign a couple of decent FA's that could help immediately like a OT to take Clary's place over waiting to get comp picks but AJ hasnt shown he is willing to let those go. Maybe he feels he got something for letting guys like Turner and Brees go that way.
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but Merriman is still young and it wouldn't hurt having a guy who's been in the business for over 10 years, who's been to the big one and won it, got Super Bowl MVP, who is also a natural born leader and has been with one team for his entire career. Not to mention, he was the team leader of possibly the best defense ever.

I agree that the leadership will come from Merriman but you never stop learning!!!
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    I want at least another person (or two with Dawkins) who can step up into the leadership spot if Merriman goes down. We've seen just how devoid we can be without our 'one leader' so I'd rather have some contingency plans in place then put all the eggs in one basket again.

And dude this is "WISH LIST" thread, yeah I doubt either Lewis or Dawkins would either want to come here after so many years in one city or even that AJ would make such moves. But it is a 'wish list' so I'm making some semi wishful thinking. I do think lewis and carey are plausible and possible options and both would provide some upgrades (especially lewis if we are flushing out some of our LBs like Cooper and wilhelm).
  11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0

I agree 100%!!! The Patriots have made a living off of signing older veterans, who were LEADERS throughout their careers and got cast off due to old age. The Patriots always managed to sign them to a discount, and they always produced. They weren't rookies, and they weren't question marks. They're players that can play football, and they know what it means to go out and work during the week, and show up come game time. We need players like that on this team, and the philosophy of ignoring free agency entirely hasn't worked.
  12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    What we need is for AJ to do exactly what he did when he began. Draft what we need in the appropriate round and trade or sign FA's who fill the needed gaps. Wish lists are nice, but they don't represent what we can actually obtain. Getting Merriman back will help enormously. We really, really need to enforce the trenches. We have not controlled the line of scrimmage like we did last year.
  13. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Yes i know AJ isn't too big on FA's and I know he get's the majority of our talent through the draft but don't you think the lack important FA signings is one of the reason why we haven't won the superbowl?

Randy Moss went to the Patriots (along with a couple of other FA's) and provided instant production, maybe this is the boost that we need.

I almost sure that we'll draft Mualaga, but we'll maybe draft brian orakpo from texas leaving us with a need at ILB. Sure we can give the starting job to Waters, but I still don't think cooper is a starting caliber player. This is where we can bring an experienced vet. in (not derek smith) at MLB to give a short contract, like mike peterson or ray lewis.

I made this list, so we could get an idea of what we need, that we can't get in draft. I did not make the list so we can sign ALL of these players, all i'm asking is to maybe sign one and be more active in the market.

This team is far from perfect and we've learned that this year. As I said, signing undrated rookies won't get us a sb. We need a big signing and the only one we gotten is CC (traded). Our off. is not a problem. Probowl TE, porbowl rb, probowl qb, probowl wr and a probowl line. We need some help at the defensive area mostly at safety, interior linebackers and at the line.

I hate our absence on the market.
  14. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Peppers would be really nice to replace Igor.

Too bad AJ never signs big free agents.
  15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Terrance Taylor - NT Michigan is the ONE bright spot on an otherwise absolutely dismal season for Michigan

:icon_sad: :icon_sad: :icon_sad:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    I don’t think we need to make too many changes in personnel. A head coach who could get the team to play up to it’s talent level, that is all we would need to be leading our division. And that’s without Shawne Merriman.

If we bring Merriman back, and kick Norv’s *** to the curb, that would be a nice start. Next, I would look to replace Hardwick and Goff, they are terrible in the running game. All we need are average players at those spots, and it would make a huge difference.

Finally, I’d seriously explore a switch to a 4-3. Nose tackles are too hard to find, and I think we have the personnel to make our defense middle of the pack, which is all we really need to contend for a Lombardi. It also helps that Rivera is comfortable with that formation.

That really isn’t a huge list of things we need to get better, we can do all that in one offseason pretty easily.
  17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    He's a big body and would help immeasurably. I like Terrance Cody alot more but no guarantee he comes out and if he does he'll probably shoot up the draft board.

I don't want to just hand the starting role to Waters because he's still inexperienced. I don't want Cooper or Wilhelm to be on this team any longer. As such I think Ray Lewis, maybe Bart Scott, would be good additions to the LB corps and would mentor both Waters and Malagua (Laurinitis) to allow both of them to take over eventually at ILB. I also don't have much faith with Dobbins/Siler as more then a role player/ST guys.

And frankly I think Vernon Carey is a better and more steady choice then Marc Colombo
    • Like Like x 1
  18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings Received:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    A lexus, the sexus, from Long Beach to Texas.

Oh, we're talking Chargers? New hc.
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Playah. :icon_tease:

I want to be looking in the rear view mirror of '09 Camaro. Barring that .....

A switch to the 3-4 may be in order - or at least a variant. As someone just said, good NTs are a tough breed to find. I'm convinced that Igor could be a 4-3 tackle. A good pass-rushing end & another tackle - we could rock. We have some possible big thumpers for the middle. The Shawne/Shaun's remain the same.

With Cro's performance, Merriman is the must sign. If he rehabs fully, SIGN HIM. AJ - this could be a big part of your legacy, which I know you're oh so aware of. :tdown:

We need some quality beef up front. A center & a RT. Buy, steal, or cheat, but get 'em.

Oh yeah - and I wanna come back out next year. :tup:
  20. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    When did you go back into the closet?
  21. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 1 / -0

Amen to that, we are still getting a good look at how good these "stars" on defense can do without Merrimonster, it seems many of them are replaceable.
  22. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Add Eugene Amano to the list of players that I'd like to see us look at. Mauler who is a starting guard for the Titans right now, and handled Jamal last year when he started at center for Mawae.