1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"2010 NFL Draft: LeGarrette Blount Perfect Fit For San Diego Chargers"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Feb 23, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    "2010 NFL Draft: LeGarrette Blount Perfect Fit For San Diego Chargers
    Cole Salmon by
    Cole Salmon
    Cole Salmon
    Cole Salmon

Correspondent

42 articles written
    437 comments written
    25 fans

View Profile
    Correspondent Written on February 10, 2010
    Blountbaby_feature
    Results - Author Poll

Should San Diego draft Blount?

Yes
    56.1%
    No
    23.1%
    Maybe
    20.8%
    * Total votes: 221

Share with your friends

With the departure of the great LaDainian Tomlinson eminent, the need to draft an every-down running back will be critical for the San Diego Chargers.

Of course this year's draft will be full of talent at the running back position with the likes of C.J. Spiller, Jonathan Dwyer, and Jahvid Best who are all expected to be drafted in the first and second rounds.

However, the Chargers do not need to use a first round pick to get a quality back that fits into their system. A.J. Smith has always been great at finding NFL-level talent in the later rounds, and if he has the foresight that I believe he does, he will not have to look any farther than Oregon's LeGarrette Blount.

Blount rushed for 1,002 yards in his junior season at Oregon while sharing carries with running back Jeremiah Johnson. In addition, Blount broke the school record for rushing touchdowns in a season with 17. The senior out of Florida was expected to do great things this season and was on the watch list for the Doak Walker Award.

Unfortunately, many people know Blount as the running back that went "postal" after an opening game loss to Boise State, and the suspension that resulted. If this event had not occurred, Blount could have easily been a first round pick come May.

While A.J. Smith has made it clear that he prefers to draft players of high character, he would be a fool to believe that Blount did not learn from his mistakes.

In a letter to the Oregon Daily Emerald , Blount stated, "I believe that I also will demonstrate that I am a better man and a better human being for having lived through this unfortunate experience."

Coach Chip Kelly did not take the situation lightly, and forced Blount to meet a series of criteria before he even considered allowing him to return to the team. When Blount finally did return, Kelly implied that Blount went above and beyond his demands and has used the experience as a way to become a better person.

Also, there is no reason whatsoever that Smith should be deterred from drafting a player such as LeGarrette Blount when he vouches for players like receiver Vincent Jackson; as talented as he is, his criminal record is anything but clean.

Additionally, Blount would fit perfectly into San Diego's offensive system.

While Blount does not have breakaway speed by any means (4.6 40-time) his long strides allow him to produce yardage quickly. He also has the body size (6'1", 240 lbs) to be a terrific blocker in Norv Turner's pass-happy offense. Blount has the power and burst to get through the line of scrimmage and into the secondary (something that LT has lacked recently).

Blount would compliment the running style of Darren Sproles quite nicely, and may provide the one-two punch that San Diego is missing on offense.

The Chargers need to overlook the past and acknowledge that Blount is a different man. He may be the future of San Diego's running game, and if the Chargers do decide to draft Blount, look for him to go in the late second or early third rounds of the draft."

Thats what bleacher report has to say about the matter:popcorn:
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    Yes this is just what AJ looks for in a player. :tdown:

[​IMG]
  3. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +82 / 1 / -0
    True, but the players with "character" haven't really been getting it done now have they?

I'm not saying that AJ needs to bring in a bunch of thugs. All I'm saying is that he could at least take a look at the young man.

I will say that I'm not too happy with his 40 time though. I want a guy with breakaway speed.
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Everyone can make a bad decision in a split second. I would rather have a guy like him who had one mistake, and worked his way back onto the team after being told he was suspended for the whole year, over a fat cow like Cody who is about 30lbs over what he will need to be playing at in the NFL as you don't gain 20-30lbs by making one split second mistake, you do that by by being lazy over an extended period of time.
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    That "fat cow" Cody will do much more to stabilize this defense than Blount will do to improve our offense.

I'd be more than willing to give the guy a second chance, but if you believe AJ will, pass that ****, mmmkay? :icon_tease:
  6. NORV4LIFE

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Maybe not but I know this is what he looks 4...

[​IMG]
  7. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with this. And because of one split second decision he will fall in the draft. He can be a bargain in the 2nd round. I dont think anyone is projecting him before that.

:abq1:
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Not if he is only on the field for 2 downs and if he can't keep the weight off. He will not last in the NFL at 380.
  9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    True, most are projecting him in the 3rd or 4th, but it will really depend on how he does at the combine, during his interviews, and pro day.

Those of you who missed it, Darren Smith had Blount on his show last week. Here is the interview
  10. NORV4LIFE

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Yeh if we get him in the 3rd and keep sproles that would be a really good bargain!:icon_shrug:
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    That will depend on how much Sproles wants. Last year he wanted Micheal Turner type money. If he doesn't lower his expectations significantly (like in half) then he will not be here long term either
  12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Just do the right thing and draft Ryan Matthews! :tup:
  13. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    Just do the right thing and draft Jonathan Dwyer! :tup:
  14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Just do the right thing and replace Kaeding! :lol:
  15. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +65 / 2 / -0
    Just do the right thing and draft Jahvid Best! :tup:
  16. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 0 / -0

:tup: agreed
  17. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    Or better yet draft Javarris James in the later round this year and draft RB Damien Berry (from The "U" Miami) in the early rounds next year. . :tup:

And draft Kicker Matt Bosher next year!
  18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    I'd be happy with either Matthews or Dwyer. I'm leery about Best's concussion right now. I can see doing Blount in the fourth round even if we get Matthew or Dwyer earlier. We need to draft fat boys in 2 and 3. I got no plan B if we trade for a good back, except another fat boy.
  19. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    Looks like Sproles is gone. I say Mathews/McCluster!!
  20. NORV4LIFE

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    WHat about Mattews Gearheart 1-2 Punch?
  21. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +65 / 2 / -0
    How can you say the word Punch without mentioning LeGarrette Blount? :lol:

Blount-Punch! I don't think he's going to drop to the fourth round. He might even get taken in the second round. Lets see how he does at the combine.
  22. NORV4LIFE

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Ok. How about Blount 1-2 pucn hout in tha face. That better?

I like Blount alot. He is like a stronger faster version of Lendale White plus his 240 isn't half from being a lard ***!

If bettis was a greyhound bus blount is an amtrac train!!

ANyway though. WHy is gearheart rated so low in the draft prospect lists by scouts? Is it just me or is it BC he's white? Here a doak walker winner who could easily be the next mike alstott and No one really cares.
  23. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +65 / 2 / -0
    It's because he's slow. If he runs a 4.5 in the combine, his draft status will skyrocket. Gerhart might not even run a 4.6 in the 40. If he drops to us in the third round we shouldn't pass him up, even if we've already drafted Blount. Now hows that for a 1-2 punch? Gerhart-Blount? Ouch! That's non-stop power running all day.
  24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0
    Why would we do any of the above?

We don't run the ball anymore

:icon_huh:
  25. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +65 / 2 / -0
    So we can run the ball again and force defenses to respect our run game so more long passes open up for Rivers and Co.:icon_shrug:

Where's that stat that says Rivers throws the best long-ball in the NFL? That should be reason enough.
  26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Bad A S S

Ratings Received:
    +1,035 / 0 / -0

We don't run the ball because of scheme, not talent

:icon_shrug:
  27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    WE need a rb that can do "norvs" famous up the gut runs against a stacked d-line. LIke marty used to do that got 0 yardage.

There are several good rb's in this draft that we can get. Just hope they learn to just say no to those useless gut runs and swing it outside a bit and find a crease.

Will someone give a tape to norv showing lombardis power sweeps. Thats what we need to do not the gut runs on 1st down.
  28. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 0 / -0
    Lmao!! Thank god someone else sees the light. :tup:
  29. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 0 / -0
    The main reason why we don't run the ball as much, and as effectively anymore is because of Norv's system. If you really think that even at LT's age and losing a step you don't think he could have avg atleast 4.5 YPC in Marty's systems your fooling yourself.

Norv is a "air it out" type of guy. And he made that when he got rid of Lorenzo Neal and brought in his 2 TE singleback sets.

Sproles if he stays on 3rd downs, and Gerhart or Dwyer type of back for first and second downs, and we will be fine.