1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2011 1st quarter of the season Chargers progress report

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Cheapseats, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -0
    Here's my 1st quarter of the 2011 Chargers season progress report, based on what I saw from the "cheap seats" at "the Q" and what I saw on the big screen at home. Enjoy! (..or not, your call)

4 games in and here is how the AFC West "grades out":
    Chargers : B - 3 wins, but didn't look good doing it
    Raiders: C+ 2 wins, but looked good in spots
    Broncos: D 1 win, couldn't pick "looks good" out of a line up
    Chiefs: D 1 win, an early qualifier for "designated pinata" status, except they don't
    spew candy when you beat the crud out of them.

On to the Chargers:
    Offense - Played their best game so far against the Dolphins. A lot of work still needs to be done but they are making fewer mistakes and the running game is looking respectable.
    Rivers looked good against Miami, 300+ yards passing, no turnovers (...and a 1st down scramble that could be timed with a calendar) Without Gates, the other tight ends, the receivers and the backs have started to step up. Blocking is improving, but there are still a couple of cringe worthy moments each game. Clock management is better than last season so far...fewer wasted time outs and less confusion getting plays called and executed before the play clock run out.
    ....and, please pay Vincent Jackson long term.

Defense - Takeo Spikes is looking like an awesome pickup, too bad the Bob Sanders experiment didn't work out, but at least the team didn't have to mortgage the future to get him. Weddle has come up big in a couple of games so far. (Yes, we probably "overpaid" for him...but without him and with Sanders gone, who are the starting safeties?) The defense is pretty banged up and Manusky's scheme hasn't exactly knocked my socks off, but the run defense appears to be improved and the pass coverage hasn't given up a lot of big plays. I am starting to see signs of a pass rush developing, let's see how they do against some of the stronger teams on our schedule.

The defense is still struggling to get off of the field, but they have been able to close out games. Admittedly, 3/4 of the schedule so far has been against "bottom-feeders" but the thing to keep in mind that with all of the issues the Chargers have...they have beaten the inferior teams and were in the game with the Patriots until they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot, stopping only to reload.

Special Teams - I would say they are slightly above average...which is a huge jump from last season. Novak has solid since Kaeding was injured, Scifres did his best Superman impression in week 1 and continues to be a weapon. Except for the very first kickoff (for a touchdown...arrggghhh!) the coverage has been good.

Penalties - Although, I'm pretty sure we can't keep up with Oakland in this catagory, the team is still making too many stupid, drive killing penalties. I am working on the assumption that this will get fixed.

Overall - So far, so good. 3 and 1 with a one game lead in the division over Oakland is not a bad place to be in early October. The schedule gets a lot tougher after the bye week and my hope is that the Chargers solve some of there more glaring problems and get most of the team healthy before wading into the meat of the schedule.

Your thoughts, Bolt-Talkers?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    Agree on a lot of points. Some of my opinions...

Offense - B-. Our redzone offense is pathetic, Rivers has made some bad decisions in crucial moments, but we're moving the ball as well as any team in the league. This offense has A+ potential if it can get healthy and start coming away with TDs. Mathews is quickly becoming the most reliable player we have...go figure.

Defense - C+. I should give it an incomplete. Solid at times, inconsistant at others. Today for example we made some great stops, but also got away with COLD BLOODED MURDER when Marshall dropped the would be TD, and a couple other balls on 3rd downs. In 3 of our 4 games we've played bad offenses, and when we played the Patriots we came out with the most childish, ignorant, and flat out fuc*ing stupid game plan the league has ever seen. I do have high hopes for the rest of this season though.

Special Teams - B. Better, not great. Still if it would have been this good last year we may have finished 12-4.
  3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Schedule: F
    Aside from the Pats, no idea how the Bolts stack up against playoff competition.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    I agree. And whats funny is I think we were 1 or 2 mistakes away from BEATING the Patriots.

Rivers had 2 uncharacteristic Ints, and Tolbert........there are no words.
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Still not convinced of that. Pats were burning time but might could have put more pts on the board if they needed to.
  6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Let me ask you this, if we win the SB but it's not pretty, do you still complain about the way they played?
  7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 8 / -0
    I'd say 92.7% of this forum will
    • Like Like x 4
  8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 19 / -5
    Is Norv coaching it? Then possibly.
  9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Dude. You used to be one of the best posters here. When did you become a cheap knock off of B4L? Seriously, you have nothing to talk about that does not involve Norv?