1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2012; Your SoCal Chargers... maybe...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    T.J. Simers: Chargers returning to L.A.? - latimes.com

T.J. SIMERS

Coming in 2012 — the once and future Los Angeles Chargers?

The way the political winds are blowing, the Chargers figure to be looking to move back to L.A. in 2012, where they could play in the Coliseum (their original home in 1960) until a new downtown stadium is ready. This could happen. Really.

If Tim Leiweke does his job over the next year in laying the groundwork for a downtown events center, expect the Chargers to announce shortly after Feb. 1, 2012, they will be here to start the 2012 season, probably playing in the Coliseum.

Talk to anyone who has spent time with Chargers owner Dean Spanos — and Spanos already has a pretty good idea of the endgame. Ordinarily, that's a loss in the playoffs, but now it's all about moving to L.A.

The Chargers probably will announce soon they will not be exercising their Feb. 1-May 1 escape clause from their stadium lease next year because they really have nowhere to go.

San Diego's last shot, and probably its only chance to keep the Chargers, rests on a November 2012 ballot measure that probably will never materialize.

City officials and the Chargers would have to agree on the language for such a ballot measure sometime during 2011 and probably no later than early 2012.

If they could find common ground, such a measure authorizing the spending of public money on a new stadium would need strong political backing. Most observers believe politicians will not show such support, instead leaving it up to voters.

If local politicians don't line up strongly behind such a ballot measure, there would be little incentive for the Chargers to spend money on campaigning for such a losing measure.

San Diego has never really embraced the Spanos family, more affectionately known in this space as the Spanos Goofs. The Chargers have failed to sell out home games, leading to local TV blackouts, and management more often than not comes across as a dictatorship exhibiting poor judgment than as a community asset.

In the meantime, Leiweke has to get beyond all the yackety-yak to date.

His interest in an events center featuring a downtown stadium suggests he already has Philip Anschutz's approval to commit $1 billion to such a project. Or Leiweke has more money than anyone might think.

Leiweke will need to start schmoozing with Sacramento to make the environmental impact process easier, while at the same time working local politicians to avoid any roadblocks.

There are some who believe Leiweke has no choice but to make this happen, calling facets of L.A Live — such as condo sales — challenging. An AEG spokesman said all area businesses showed an increase this year and hotel occupancy has exceeded expectations.

All are in agreement, though, an events center would only maximize L.A. Live's effectiveness and lead to further development.

"The Microsoft convention this July will be the largest to date — 45,000 hotel-room nights total, and that would not have happened without building this hotel in L.A. Live," said an AEG spokesman. "An event center would provide for more convention space and more hotels built downtown."

Any time anyone mentions a new stadium around here, the uneducated become alarmed, figuring public money would be spent on such a playpen.

No public money was used in the building of Staples Center. It's true more than $70 million was committed to the area surrounding the arena, where L.A. Live now sits — $58 million in bonds currently being repaid. Another $12 million in redevelopment money was committed to the project.

When the bonds are paid in full, it's expected the interest paid will match or exceed the $70-million contribution, allowing AEG to say the city essentially paid nothing for the downtown facelift.

Leiweke has told folks in public gab fests no public money will be used on the events center. He's counting on Anschutz and a contribution from the NFL.

AEG will need $300 million in city bonds to tear down the West Hall of the Convention Center and then rebuild it in another Convention Center location. Since it is not AEG-owned property, it would have to be a city-financed project.

Leiweke has said if for some reason those bonds are not repaid, AEG will do so — once again the city losing nothing in public money spent on the project.

Leiweke has only talked to date, which is why it's on him now to take advantage of the Chargers' 2012 escape clause.

If he's on his game, the Chargers will be calling the Coliseum their temporary home — a return to their roots, having spent the first season of their existence playing there as the Los Angeles Chargers in 1960.

Leiweke's attention span, or lack of it, will be his biggest hurdle. It might help if he's constantly reminded he's playing with $1 billion of his boss' money.

I don't mind reminding him on behalf of Anschutz because it would make for great sport bringing the Spanos Goofs here. We'll need someone to replace the McCourts.

IN RETROSPECT, the brawl before the USC- UCLA game the other night was probably a decent dress rehearsal for the Oakland Raiders-Los Angeles Chargers game to be played here two years from now.

THERE WAS only one good reason to attend the Clippers' game Monday night —- the chance to bump into Sacramento broadcaster Bill Walton.

IN HIS USC-UCLA postgame comments, UCLA Coach Rick Neuheisel offered this telling remark: "I'm sick about Kai [Forbath] not getting a chance to kick a field goal. He came up and said, 'I need one more.' How can I kick a field goal at the end of the game when you're down 21 points? Kai understood. He's a great Bruin."

Forbath needed one field goal to tie a school record, but make that a great selfish Bruin, who required an explanation from his coach before he understood the game wasn't all about him.

UCLA passed out printed copies of Neuheisel's postgame remarks, but did not include Forbath's comment, "I need one more," as quoted by Neuheisel.

Funny that Neuheisel needs to be censored and apparently Lane Kiffin does not.
  2. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +93 / 2 / -0
    T J Simers can go to hell. He loves to rip San Diego, ever since Jim McMahon blew his snots on him at a golf tourney years ago. He went and cried to the Chargers ownership and they basically laughed at him. Simers has made his personal goal to hate and write about hating San Dieog ever since then. I will not read the LA Times or listen to him when he is Scooter and BR.
  3. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    For the LA fans that don't understand why we hate LA, TJ is a prime example of the douchebag LA attitude towards SD. Screw TJ and LA.
  4. lgregg

lgregg BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would hope they don't move back to LA. I will have hard time rooting for a team with LA in its name. My dads been a fan since they were LA Chargers but I wasn't born yet and only been a fan since they have been SD Chargers. Being from SD that is the home team not one based in LA.

But along the same lines I think the team needs to chip in some if they want a new stadium especially at the prices they charge for seats. Though hard to picture them playing anywhere but Jack Murphy Stadium (AKA Qualcomm)
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    Slimers is a second rate hack with little to back his fantasies of Charger ruination
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    the mayans were right, the world is going to end in 2012.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Please, Do not disgrace this fine board with the posting of anything that bears this hacks name.
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,548 / 44 / -6
    It's a shame to see the political structure tear down what Jack Murphy work so hard to put together.
  9. Eric

Eric BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Simers is a douche. I've seen him in action interacting with the Angels Mike Scioscia. But he's not wrong regarding the Chargers moving. SD city council has put off building a new stadium for years and the end game is approaching.

I also know NEW ERA finished designing a variety of Los Angeles Chargers logos over a month ago for the team to approve for their merchandise.

I think the deal is done unless the fans in SD save your team at the ballot box.
  10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Oh man. Are you kidding ? Wow.

But we have fans who think Underdog will save the day to buy and keep the team here.
  11. Eric

Eric BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It's the stadium. Even if someone from San Diego bought the team how much longer would they want to play at the Murph? I can't speak for Los Angeles, but the Chargers have a strong following in Orange County. If you go to Disneyland on a Sunday you will see thousands of people wearing their gear. IMO it's hard to gauge how they'd be received here, people remember the Raiders being the LA team more than the Chargers.

Ideally the stadium issue gets worked out in SD and the Rams return so the area has NFC & AFC teams.

But there is no doubt the team and league is preparing for a change. I would imagine vendors would be doing the same for all the teams mentioned like the Vikings, Jags, etc.
  12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
  13. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Well, it's been 50 years, and the 1960 demographic of Los Angeles wasn't the Tijuana skew it is today. Very different "customer base". Don't see L.A. as a powder blue fan base. Besides, the Bloods might really resent the Crips colors on the team. :)
  14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    A nightmare in East LA. There will be literally Blood in the streets and deaths to go along with it because of a persons color they are wearing.
  15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The NFL is also expecting there to eventually be 2 teams in LA. That way they have the income from 2 teams to pay for the stadium, just like they did with the Jets/Giants new stadium
  16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

And we have a bunch of fans who prefer to sit around with their thumbs up their butts complaining about blackouts and how the team is moving YET they FAIL to go to a game to show ANY form of support!

Then they will sit around and tell you how much of a fan they are! Because they went to some games SEVERAL years ago.

WE need fans in the stands NOW, not tomorrow, not yesterday, TODAY!

But then that’s why they are moving, we have fans who FAIL to support them.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SDRaiderH8er again.
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    I don't trust TJ Simers at all, I wouldn't take this beyond face value at that
  19. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Man, I said this before, I'll say it again. Not ONCE has ticket sales or support been cited as a relocation motivation, it's 100% about getting a new stadium.

This game is sold out and the blackout lifted. Let go of your fantasy.
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Who do you think gets them that new stadium?

I'll concede it has to get on the ballot before the citizens can vote for it, though.
  21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    You keep dodging the question I have asked 6 times nw.

How are you going to feel paying full boat for season tickets when and if the team leaves ?

Answer the question you have dodged instead of pretending to be superfan.
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I can't speak for him but I know it wouldn't bother me.

They're still the San Diego Chargers that he's bought tickets for and I take it he's enjoying the team while they're still here.
  23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Hell, it would help the locals to have the stands empty so that no one wants to buy the team forcing Dean to keep the team here.

Fill the stands and the buyers see revenue.

What a conundrum !!!
  24. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    For myself if the Chargers were to stay in San Diego I would pay Full Boat as it were.
  25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Shouldn't you be putting your name in line for PSAs at Gillette Stadium by now?
  26. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I can and I should start to find real estate in the Boston Massachusetts area as well.
  27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    This is where you would have to LIVE here - understand the LA thing 100% - and be a season ticket holder otherwise; it is not a really fair now is it ?

I understand for those who are not here can stomach the move without any relative pain. Just about every fan says this from my reads.

The locals who live here - well - that is another story. H8er is already on record saying why be loyal to someone who is not going to be loyal to me and will not support a team in LA however; he is not answering my question. I'd like to know. If he is going to be angry he spent the money or not says something to me. I have tailgaters who will go to the end and not be mad when the team moves. Others will be pissed they paid full boat to the end and are adamant the team is not leaving..... Others have already started the "root from the couch and lets see" like me.

If he is going to be angry, well, he has been warned. Staying to the bitter end as though it will make a difference when the team has no real intention to stay may be the ultimate fan sacrifice for some but not me. This is about principle and loyalty. When Alex said the team was for sale that cemented for me at least what I suspected all along.
  28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    i've lived in San Diego half my life, Tony. Take your condescending act elsewhere.
  29. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    For me it is simple. IF the Chargers become the Los Angeles Chargers I am a New England Patriots Fan. IF they stay the San Diego Chargers then my fanship is still for the San Diego Chargers.
  30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    It is not condesending.

Were you at least born here ?