1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2012; Your SoCal Chargers... maybe...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 7, 2010.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Everyone is jealous of San Diego weather. That's only natural.
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Nope. I am not sure how you get two fans because TT is pissed and my other buddy is pissed that he would have paid all that money if he was certain the team was leaving. He is not as sure as me so he is justifying paying because he believes the Spanos' will stay. I have yet to meet anyone who says they would be happy paying to the end knowing or even suspecting this team was out of here.

Keep looking.
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Yeah and now add it to everything and pile it on and on and on .... You have to live here so next time ... LIVE man. Get that tentacle into the bloodstream and feel the pulse.
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    What's wrong with being jealous of great weather?

That's not limited to just LA.
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    There is nothing wrong with that in and of it self.

Add it to the jig-saw puzzle of why you are trying to understand why ....

It adds up to a big FU LA Leo. As much as you try to analyze and dissect, dude "it is what it is"

I used to drop a lot of coin at the "Pike" at the peep shows and being a Long Beach brat, you know what I mean.
  6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    OK brat is not cool....Long Beach biatch
  7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    Like Trumpy has said I am like a Loyal Dog. I am right now as well smelling something like a dog again that I am being fed the Cheap food instead of the Expensive food. The cheap food is The City not helping the Spanos get the Stadium Built on the Q site, it should have been done already to start building it there, The Downtown site is not a done deal to build the Stadium there as well, again it should have been a done deal, Alex Spanos selling the team and the other is Stupid but important one to me is the San Diego name being dropped from the Chargers.

I will keep on giving out my $$$ to the Local economy for the San Diego Chargers until they become the Los Angeles Chargers then I will start to give my $$$ to the Boston Massachusetts economy. It is my way of giving my Middle Finger to SD for loosing the chargers and LA for receiving the Chargers.

I know Stupid but it is the way I am. Stupid is as Stupid does.
  8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Long Live Turbo Turtle !!!!!!! :helm1:

:guns:

:tup:
  9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    Because two teams in LA worked out so well last time. I still can't figure out why the NFL has such a hard on for this to happen. Failed before, and have no teams in LA for over a decade has not hurt the NFL one bit. F*ck LA!
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549 / 44 / -6
    I remember Dego before I-8 and I-5, what a fantastic place to grow up. Yeah, LA had it all except when a few big stars wanted to have a bit of fun they came south. If I'm not mistaken it was Desi Arnez and Jimmy Deranti (sp) that built or helped get Del Mar race track / fair gorunds built. The Bolt's moved to Dego in 1960 and found a home now the want of money is forcing them to leave. I won't support the LA Bolt's, like I said, I'll cast an eye their way but try and find another team to follow as I love the game.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    That would make two of us (hence my handle...), Leo.

Trumpet_Man is ignorant well beyond his years... or about as disaffected as my grandparents were. I didn't approve of my grandparents' somewhat overt racism, but at the same time I grasped that they grew up in a different time than I did. There may well have been blatant ethnicity differences and issues between Angelinos and San Diegans in the past, but speaking as someone who lives here (LA; I live in Hermosa Beach) now, it's a very ignorant statement to make.

Furthermore, so far as the league and the new ownership is concerned it's LA so far as the Los Angeles MEDIA MARKET. Yes, this includes Orange County which is a predominantly white (though honestly not by much considering that the Asian and Latino populations combined nearly outnumber the Caucasian populace), but also includes Riverside (heavily Hispanic), San Bernadino (about 2/3 Caucasian to 1/3 other), and Los Angeles (um... whites are by and large a heavy minority in this county, outnumbered by African Americans, Hispanics, and - based on current projections - in another 2-3 years Asians as well) counties.

Trumpy's welcome to look back where I said that I do sympathize with him about losing a team that has 50+ years of tradition in the city/area he grew up in, because I too went through it. As a CHARGER fan living in the LA area, I would personally prefer they stay in San Diego and LA get another team (I've always stood by the fact that unless it was the Chargers, the Rams coming home, or an expansion team I wouldn't support another team that moved here simply because they were coming to a near market).

And Turtle - you're talking out your *** about LA not supporting it's teams and that being why they left, particularly when it comes to the Rams. I'll be glad to provide reference material too, if you'd like. It goes well beyond the gates, which were still proportionately equal to what our Chargers are producing right now.
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Do some research Lizard. Georgia Fontiere pulled a "Major League" on the Rams over the course of 10 years. We're talking quite literally what Al Davis has done to the Raiders (taking them from a conference championship competitive team and doing nearly everything possible to self-destruct every positive thing about that team that had brought them success in the past - including trading away the franchise QB and outright releasing Kevin Greene, you know the same one that's going to end up enshrined in Canton soon, when he was coming off an All-Pro campaign). She tried to move them twice, first to Baltimore then finally to St. Louis before she was successful, the league didn't want her to move the team in the first place (most of the old school owners told her she was full of **** for claiming "poverty" as her excuse because she was completely mishandling the team and blaming the front office that she continued to employ for a number of years... and that she maintained into her years in St. Louis), and the only way they ever signed off on the move was because she literally bribed the other NFL owners with shares of the PSL's from the Edward Jones Arena.
  13. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    I hear all of that. But if L.A. is the land of milk and honey according to the NFL, why did TWO teams choose to leave the market? And if I remember correctly, my friends from LA were always b*tching about blacked out games. Add in the fact that the NFL doesn't seem to be hurting from no L.A. teams, I still wonder why it's such a big damn deal to have a team there.
  14. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    The answer to my own question is that L.A. is the NFL's answer to Tampa Bay in baseball. Back in the day several teams leveraged new stadiums by threatening to move to Tampa Bay. Eventually Tampa got an expansion team, and though the team has had flashes of success, nobody really cares that they are there. Perhaps after the Vikings and hopefully the Chargers have used the L.A. threat to get their stadiums, they will end up with the Jags.
  15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    This is not an attack but you will see it as such.

Why did not the City of LA not not its fans fight to force the POS at the time Owner Fontiere from wanting to move the Rams from LA? The Fans of the Rams tried to fight to the bitter end to keep the Rams in LA but they failed due to the City, they the City should have fought all the way to a lawsuits to keep the Rams in LA but they did not.

The City of LA did the same thing with the Raiders as well. The Fans tried to fight to keep the Raiders there in LA but again the City did not want to fight to keep the Raiders there.

I am not talking out of my posterior.
  16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    the Raiders would have stayed in LA, Al Davis wanted a new stadium and could not get one. So he left like the spoiled little biatch that he is. The City could do nothing as Al Davis did what he wanted to do, and he could careless about anything else.
  17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The ignorance appears to be yours.

Your grandparents lived through and were admitted racists however; since you live in Hemosa Beach you find my comment ignorant ?

Use your power of deductive reasoning for christs sakes. The forum is not all idiots.

Uhhh, this is the kind of logic I expected from someone such as yourself.

You use demographics in a blind attempt to sound credible and prove a thinly veiled point.

Then you do not understand Turbo Turtle or his logic which is spot on.

The Rams left due to lack of support and more $$$ and yes the games were blacked out. Trying to claim that lack of support for the Rams as a factor is freaking laughable. Drop your pedastle of excuses for the team. When the local high school teams out draws a professional team, it sucks. We had attendance numbers in the low 20 thousands in the 70's. The Rams were no different. LA nor San Diego had a history of selling out their football venues. The Frontiere story is well documented. You do not need to educate the forum with revisionist history as well. I suspect that Georgia Frontiere went so far as to have her husband Carol Rosembloom deliberately drowned. I never trusted that witch or what she did to the Rams fans of LA. Your fans could have SOLD out every game and it would not have mattered to Georgia because she was going to get the best deal she could and the fans of LA were fuc't from the get go.
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Simple reason... money. At least that's why the NFL wants back in LA. It's the second largest media market outside of New York. That's a massive untapped resource. The Rams struggled with blackouts in their final years in LA, that was at the end of a 10 year long stretch (that started following the 1989 NFC Championship game loss to the Niners) where Georgia and her front office goons began utterly raping the team of anything positive that it had going for it. All this while raising ticket prices following the move to Anaheim; some of us diehards still attended, but it's truly difficult to sellout stadiums (mind you the Coliseum when they were playing there was 130% the capacity of the average NFL stadium and by the time hit Anaheim - which was still a 65K seat venue - the fan base was well aware of what she was doing and it's pretty difficult to sell a consistently BAD product, no matter the tradition... just look at what the Raiders have gone through in recent years.

Al Davis... who really knows. He wanted luxury boxes at the Coliseum. The Coliseum commission wasn't going to go for that because that would have lowered capacity for future bids on the Olympics. And the city continued to tell Al that they weren't going to shell out wholly to build him a new stadium because there were in excess of 4 usable venues available to him, so Al used Georgia's moving of the Rams as precedent to move the team back to Oakland... where he still hasn't managed to get a new stadium built and is playing in a dellapidated baseball stadium.
  19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549 / 44 / -6
    It will never be the same with the LA Chargers, simple as that. No way would it work if the Dodgers were to move to San Diego, it just wouldn't be the same.
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    2 teams left LA before because neither could get a stadium. That problem would no longer exist
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The same reason the City of San Diego won't fight to keep the Chargers, the elected officials don't care
  22. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 1 / -4
    I've been a fan since the 60's, when my father used to take me to the games at Balboa Stadium, and I'd hate to see the team leave San Diego. However, I can't understand why the people of San Diego are unwilling to build them a new stadium. Is it due to the city's political conservatism?

I've been in Europe for the past twenty years, so I've lost touch with the public mood in my home town. Why the opposition to a new home for the Chargers?
  23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    a couple reasons, a large % of San Diego city residents couldn't care less about the Chargers because they still support their hometown team, or they just don't care about sports in general. The other reason is that the city is totally broke and people think that to build a stadium, the City would have to take money out of schools, police, and fire departments to pay for it (Totally uneducated reasoning). And 3rd, many residents think the stadium would be paid for by the city and then they would hand over ownership of it to the Chargers, when in fact it would be owned by the city and would come with a 25-30 years lease (Stead stream of income).

What it comes down to is that the Chargers PR dept has done a terrible job at clearing up the false propaganda that has been spread, so they are not getting the support they need from within the city.

I still think if this was a county wide vote, with all cities and the county paying for it, rather than just the City of SD paying for it, it would win by a land slide. That is how Denver got Invesco built. It was a vote of residents throughout like 8 different counties (Counties are much smaller in Colorado)
  24. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    As I have said before. I will always be a Chargers fan no matter what and/or where they go..

CHGR4LF.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    Picture 089.jpg
  25. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Donna Frye is a Liberal, and has been hampering a stadium deal for a while now. The politician that got the development cap raised (which could lead to money for a stadium) is a conservative. I don't think it fully breaks down along political lines, but it's definitely not "conservatism" causing the problem.
  26. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Stadium...

Who's holding up the possibility of a county wide vote/deal for a new stadium? Is mission valley in the city? I'm really confused now. If a stadium was built in the city next to Petco park is it the city that's paying for it? Who paid for Petco?:confused:
  27. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    A county wide vote would be great. There are many of us Charger fans that don't live within the city limits, but we are huge Bolts fans. I actually think you might get more support outside the actual city limits if it came down to a county wide vote.
  28. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68 / 3 / -1
    Dude you really have to enhance your signature picture is too dark to reed.