1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 cap space

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Jan 5, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
    Alright I went to Spotrac.com, I went to every player's individual page to see their cap hit for 2013. Our estimated cap number heading into free agency (give or take future releases) will be roughly $102,271,000

This cap number includes 2 cuts/retirements, Spikes and Garay, who I believe have zero chance of returning in 2013. Note that it also does not include guys we are sure to re-sign, like Alexander, Vasquez, Novak etc...

I should also mention this includes the base salary + bonuses of guys like Gaither, Clary, and Meachem as if they won't get cut.
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    So we will have roughly 15 to 20 million for FA?
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
    A little less if we cut Gaither.
    Maybe $2M more after we cut English, and another 1.6 if we cut McMichael
    And I think we're stuck with Meachem.

Also worth mentioning that the cap limit was $120.6M last year, and will probably go up a bit this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    What did the 11th pick count against the cap last year? I think that we're looking at 14-17 mil depending on cuts, which makes me wonder, who the F are all of these cap dollars tied into? PS, you can forget about Jake Long if this is actually our cap situation. Tackle is now a guaranteed draft selection.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
    Yup. Jake Long was the entire purpose of me doing this. Thanks to a couple meaningless wins, Matthews returning to A&M, Lewan sucking, and Fisher dominating, I have little confidence anymore that we're going to find our LT in the draft at 11. Especially with the Dolphins behind us at 12, they're going to be just as desperate as we are for a LT, and probably more than willing to jump up 2 spots.

After we tag Alexander, sign Vasquez, and a few other guys like maybe Cason, Barnes, Spurlock, Lynch, Haslam, Franklin etc... as well as the cap hit for releasing Gaither, you can forget FA this year.

I would suggest the Chargers look into pawning off Meachem or Gaither or Clary onto another team for a 7th round pick....but realistically that will never happen. They are cap drains.
  6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Possibly restructure some contracts?
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I think that the only contract big enough to restructure, who is worth keeping, would be Rivers. Everyone else would be someone we'd want to cut, or who we've signed recently enough that a restructure would not be helpful. Basically, we could extend Rivers for 8 years and make some cap room, but other than his, I don't think there's a restructurable contract on the roster. (Possibly Weddle?)
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,137 / 36 / -21
    Those are the only 2 I can think of. We could also cut McMichael and save $1.6, and Bigby another $1.6 but I think he will contribute.

Looking at the list I made there are 3 guys; Gaither, Meachem, and Clary who are the 4th, 5th, and 6th highest paid players on the roster (a total of $19M cap hit)....obviously they stand out.
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

[​IMG]
  10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    The Chargers need a roster overhaul. Watching the Seattle/Washington game Troy Aikman said, since 2010 there have been 285 roster transactions made by Pete Carroll and John Schneider (Seahawks GM). That is crazy! We might be needing something like this, and building through the draft.

Look how many rookies started and played for Seattle today, and really all season, all their rookies have played exceptionally well. Russell Wilson, Robert Turbin, JR Sweezy, Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, and even Jeremy Lane stepped up for them. Never mind their 2010 and 2011 draft class. Seahawks will be a very good team for years to come.
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    It's amazing what a team looks like when they don't repeatedly mortgage draft picks to reach on players and actually hit on their picks in their draft slot instead.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    And also, very good coaching. Pete Carroll deserves a lot of credit, and so do the Seahawks' front office for taking a shot on Carroll who was considered a failure at the NFL level.
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    http://forums.utsandiego.com/showthread.php?p=4873106

don't know if it's legit or not. But I think Gates should definitely restructure his contract. And also, the release of Bigby.

I think we're in decent shape. I think $42M is a little outrageous but I think it might be at $30M or so.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    The current number I've got right now (depending on whether they applied the signing bonus for Floyd's extension against the 2012 cap or prorated it over the years of the extension) is $27.2 million in available cap space.

I ran the numbers and turns out that with a lot of guys getting injured and ending up on IR that there were savings here and there from LTBE's that we're earned because the players weren't actually playing or active on the roster. It looks like we'll carry over $17.7 million in unused cap space to 2013 - which we're going to need because we have (pre-cuts) around $112 million committed through contracts for 2013, with an expected league salary cap of $121.3 million.

Now mind you, that's $27.2 million while still having to budget to pay rookies and budget for LTBE's for our players already under contract.

And for anyone suggesting renegotiating or reworking any current contracts, be prepared for that player to receive an extension because that's typically the caveat/benefit gained by the player for restructuring. So if we restructure River's contract - for instance - we might gain some leeway for this year, but we're likely tacking on at least another 2 years or more to his contract and doing so at Matt Ryan pay-grade.
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    So say, Spikes and McMichael retire, and Bigby and English are cut, that leaves us with $5M+ more right?

So what's the number we'll have exactly for FA?