1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 Charger awards

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 12, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Let's hear it...

MVP - Phillip Rivers
    DMVP - Eric Weddle
    ROY - Keenan Allen
    Most improved - Ryan Mathews
    Surprise player - Jalil Addae
    Mr. Reliable - Danny Woodhead
    Best coach - Joe D'Allessandris (O-line)
    Free Agent Steal - King Dunlap
    Biggest disappointment - Derek Cox

And if you can think of anymore categories let me know.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Wish I could find one for Fluker, he's deserves some recognition.
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Couldn't agree more..
  4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +119 / 19 / -5
    Dunlap is a nice pick up but I think Woodhead was greater steal of F.A. I mean we practically took a good player from N.E instead of giving them one. I agree with everything else.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I would suggest 2 way tie between Rivers and Mathews for MVP as today it showed

Defensive MVP: Weddle, Butler, and Liuget

ROY: Allen, Fluker with a close 2nd

Most Improved: I would suggest Wright, Mathews always had the talent but just couldn't stay on the field where as Wright struggled mightily but really came on late in the season.

I agree with Addae as biggest surprise, he could lock up that SS with another year of experience

Coach of the year: Coach D although I believe Pags needs a little love. He truly did great things given with what he had to work with. This season had a ton of "WTF?!?!?!" moments but his defense did a lot of great things when you look at the big picture.

Mr Reliable Im going to give it to Woodhead. Although Allens 71 receptions are the most any receiver not named Gates has caught from Rivers in his entire NFL career.

Free Agent steal: King Dunlap, he really held his own especially when Philly fans basically laughed and cheered when we signed him. I would love to eventually draft a franchise LT given Dunlaps concussions he sustained this year but he's only 28 and if he can continue to do what he did for us this year I'd be happy to keep him as our LT for as long as we can

Biggest FA bust: I'd have to say Cox as well, I really hope he gets it together, he went from my favorite signing to my most hated. Especially when guys like DRC were still on the open market
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    Agree with most everything huge credit goes to Telesco for bringing in the likes of Woodhead, Dunlap and the likes of Addae/Lissemore. He gets a mulligan on Cox his only big swing and miss.

Thought Shareece Wright came on a ton this year too, can only get better.
  7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    Best rookie with a shoe size over 20?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    I'm really excited by Wright, too. In the preseason, he looked like he was set to have a breakout year. He was very aggressive and was attacking the ball. Then, his play slipped during the season. I'm sure our less than stellar pass rush had something to do with that. But he picked it up late in the year, and he was a big reason for our improved defensive performance over the last 7 weeks.
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Yeah I'm willing to give him a pass on Cox to, really the guy is a great athlete and has great character, there's no way we could have predicted how bad he'd be.

John Phillips was underrated as well, and Thomas Keiser also had a decent year.
  10. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    MVP-PR
    DMVP-Butler
    ROY-Allen
    Most improved- Royal
    Come Back- Mathews
    Mr. Reliable- Scifres
    Best Coach- Joe
    Free agent steal- Woodhead
    Biggest disappointment- Cox
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    Off MVP - Phillip Rivers - Real comeback player of the year type of season. Found a scheme that suits his strengths, and the results really showed.

Def MVP - Eric Weddle - As much as he's performed on the field, I give this to him because he seems like a real leader of this defense, and a good guy too.

ROY - Keenan Allen - Possibly the steal of the draft. This kid is a playmaker.

Most improved - Ryan Mathews - I've always believed in him, always thought the O-line and his bad luck with injuries was making his talent get overlooked. Very happy for him to get his chance to shine this season.

Surprise player - Ladarius Green - I knew he had talent, but this dude could be bigtime. Didn't think he'd have such a big role yet, looks like our TE of the future.

Mr. Reliable - Mike Scifres - Never seems to let us down.

Best coach - Joe D - 16 starting combinations, and still showed a tremendous improvement over last year.

Free Agent Steal - Danny Woodhead - Maybe in the entire league this season, he's been a great pickup.

Biggest disappointment
    - Derek Cox - Only real swing and a miss for us last summer, he's been very poor, especially when you consider 4 years 20m puts him on the same pay grade as the likes of DRC, Talib, etc..
    • Like Like x 1
  12. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    I'm still baffled by what happened to Cox. His only problem in J'ville seemed to be that he couldn't stay on the field. He was just awful this year. Terrance Shaw awful.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
  15. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    There's still a part of me that wonders if Cox was partly a victim of the ripple effect from poor pass rushing up front leading to WRs having a little too much time to get open.

In a perfect world, he'd have the off-season to workout, regain his confidence, and then regain his spot in the lineup next season alongside an improved pass-rush.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    So I'm seen as a "troll" by the easily confused and poisoned but here is some humor that is very "trollish" (based on the bastardized definition of the term) so please lighten up and laugh after kicking your cat. The fact is though I'm not trolling (by its original def) because I really don't think Weddle is that great at all; he has tackles funneled to him- but those should have donnie edwards asterisks next to them, his hips suck, he hesitates on blitzes and pusses out. BUT! I don't blame him because he tries his *** off (even on the puss outs, it's in order to be a safety valve because a speed bump is a speed bump) and in fact has come up with some original ways of bringing ball carriers down. He has the "Speed Bump" shoulder attempt, the leg hump and the patented lesbian scissors tackle (in fairness, I only saw this once but it was hilarious... he went feet first in a game i forgot and ended up in the position). So credit to IAD...here is the pic exactly as it happened:abq1:

[​IMG]
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Nice Shmackle Tackle!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778 / 54 / -41

Oh this is good ............................ no, make that very very good !!!

I too like Weddle, simply because he DOES give you everything he's got, week in, week out, but he's NOT the superstar a shipload of Charger fans make him out to be ......

He gets "Mack-Trucked" a least once a game and I cringe when it happens because I seriously worry for his health he gets hit that hard, I'd be putting one of those Nascar HANS device/helmets on this dood, seriously, its only a matter of time before he ends up with a severe case of Whiplash !!!

Love the pic also BBB, awesome stuff. :tup:
    • Like Like x 1