1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 Chargers Draft....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 1 / -0
    All freak'n O-line all day.....I don't wanna see anything else.
    We get a solid front, everything else will fall into place... and Philip will feel comfy again...to throw those "down-field" passes.
    I just hope Philip can stay alive through these last 4 games. :confused:
    Maybe we need to just throw in the Whitehurst sacrificial lamb to get us to the end of this nightmare.....:speechless::poop:

Well..., ok....maybe a couple of DB's later on in the draft to replace Cason and Jammer. :cool:
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    Agree. Wouldn't mind seeing Vazquez get re-signed too.
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I wanna see one of these names in the first 3 rounds

OT Taylor Lewan, OT Jake Mathews
    DB Xavier Rhodes, OT DJ Fluker, OT Dallas Thomas
    DE Brandon Jenkins, DB Tyriann Mathieu
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Draft these guys...

[​IMG]
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I think going with a bunch of rookies on the line is not a good idea. A couple rookies mixed in with a couple quality free agent veterans, that is the key. We did that in 2004 when we traded for Oben and signed Goff, then drafted Olivea and Harwick. We need to repeat the 2004 offseason!!!!
  6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    I am not sure I quite understand people wanting this guy to be a Charger. I understand he is a playmaker when it comes to creating turnovers.

However, this guy has off the field issues, would only be worth being on the field in nickle situations because he is terrible in coverage, he is extremely small, and hasn't played in what a year and half? I'll pass.
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF BEEF
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    My main reason was in fact that he was fun to watch play, But once upon a time this guy was graded as a 1st level talent. I'll take a gamble on that anyday, we could also use him as a Safety
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    I want at least a guard, a right tackle and a cornerback out of this draft
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    and not in the 5th 6th and 7th
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. X-01

X-01 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Kicker anyone ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    LT Jake Joeckel (R) Texas A&M
    LG Johnnie Troutman
    C Nick Hardwick
    RG Louis Vasquez
    RT Mike Harris

if Geithers can give them a few games to start the season (before he starts to break down and is subsequently traded/cut/IRed) it would give a rookie LT time to settle down
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    LUKE Joeckel at this point may be available when we're picking if we continue to go down the path we are on.
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    I'd file suit against Gaither to gain back the money they pissed away on him and from there

LT: Either free agent (Brandon Albert? Jake Long?), Luke Joeckel or Oday Aboushi
    LG: Troutman gets first shot, I'd consider Dombrowski here too
    C: Nick Hardwick but get Molk ready
    RG: Either a free agent or I'd look in the third round at Larry Warford OG Kentucky
    RT: Anyone but Clary. I'd look in the third/fourth at DJ Fluker or Brennan Williams, don't see any real FAs outside of Vollmer

If the Eagles snatch Joeckel I'd likely take Milliner, Lewan or BPA in the first round, I'd go either cornerback (Trufant, Proyer) or maybe Jon Cooper if he falls to the second and go guard/tackle in the third (Williams/Fluker)
  15. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    D.J. Fluker was actually really good at RT in 2011. Would be a good fit here.
  16. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Once upon a time is right. I would definitely not put him at safety if we took a flyer on him. We just drafted a safety we have yet to see anything from.

All I am saying is that there are character concerns, he hasn't played in quite sometime, he is extremely small, and has coverage problems. I mean a guy that lacks the prototypical size to contend with 6'5" receivers needs to make up for it in supreme ball, and coverage skills.

I would take a flyer on this dude if it were like the 6th or later.
  17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    My ideal draft would be akin to

1st: Luke Joeckel
    2nd: Jordan Pryor (pair the trojan CB with a beaver CB)
    3rd DJ Fluker
    4th Larry Warford or Travis Bond
    5th A QB prospect
    6th A WR prospect
    7th BPA

LT: Joeckel
    LG: Troutman/Dombroswki
    C: Hardwick
    RG Warford/Bond/Fluker
    RT Fluker/FA

Drooooooll
  18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    you don't think Mike Harris can become a good RT?
  19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    I don't know how much of it is that he's overmatched or he's just young, but I'm not very certain in him
  20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Sure, I can totally understand where your coming from.

But, we can get a valuable CB1 in FA, on a 1-2 year deal. The "real deal(s)" come out at corner next year IF they forgo. Quandre Diggs & Bradley Roby are so talented. I'm talking close to Darelle Revis talent here, and their's 2 of them in next year's draft. This will be an area of need, after a 2 year vet deal is done. So this year you can take a gamble on a guy like Tyrann Mathieu, have you seen the kid play?

He brings another dimension to the game. His speed and vision in the return game, his speed as a nickel blitzer and for a defensive back he has great awareness of the strip sack. He did it repeatedly at LSU.

Look at New England with Alfonzo Dennard, he had character issues, but is a rookie starting at corner really looking like a 1st round pick rather than a 7th round pick, yes 7th!

And since when is having too many defensive backs/playmakers a bad thing?!

There are plenty of 5'9-5'10 guys that can compete with 6'5 receivers. And Mathieu has a great skill assets when it comes to being physical. A better ball skills Cortland Finnegan comes to mind when I watch Mathieu play.
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah I wouldn't get my hopes up on him. He still is RAW, he's an UDFA, you can't expect him to be that GOOD just yet. I give him another year of good progression after a very experienced year like this, and he can be a real steal.

He needs to improve his strength and footwork though, so that's up to him to do that in the off-season.

Clary must be traded/cut, and Vasquez must be re-signed. Like someone said, we should file grievance or something against Gaither to get our cap money back. That would be huge.

We can sign vets like, Geoff Schwartz or Jason Smith at T, and Brandon Moore at G. But if we do get that cap money back from Gaither, I'd go break the bank for Branden Albert, Jake Long or Ryan Clady, doubt those teams don't franchise them. Or if he just decides to play, I'd like to see an experienced back up plan. Patriots I don't think will franchise Vollmer, he's just hurt too much. That tag might land on Chung or Welker (again). But I'd be hesitant to sign Vollmer to a deal he is looking for. So I'd like to see this..

LT- Gaither/FA, Rookie
    LG- Brandon Moore, Johnnie Troutman
    C- Nick Hardwick, David Molk
    RG- Louis Vasquez, Johnnie Troutman
    RT- Rookie, Mike Harris

To me, since there are valuable Guards in FA, I feel like if we can get a Guard in FA, keep either Schilling, Haslam, or Green and still have Troutman and re-sign Vasquez, Both LT and RT should be addressed in the top 3 picks.
  22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    All this Clary must be traded or cut... and I'm not defending Clary, nor saying he should be starting, but it's flat out dumb to trade or release him when it's costlier to do so than to actually just keep him on the roster and on the bench.

Unless we get out from under Gaither's contract, he's going to be penciled in as the starting LT next season, whether we like it or not. Too much money invested and tied to the guy next year (again, more expensive to get rid of than to keep) for him to not start camp out as the starter. Too much invested in him to give up on him after one crap year Again, this is fan kneejerk (and maybe justified, but from a business model it makes squat for sense). And you don't spent 1st round picks drafting RT's that don't show the capacity to eventually play LT - you just don't.

Also, Ant... sorry, but I see little sense in using a draft pick on a QB. Rivers' contract has us stuck with him, for better or worse, for the next 2 years at least. If he continues to regress then we're very likely to remain picking in the Top 10, at which point you just rinse and repeat what we did with him and a, to that point, underachieving Brees... and spend that Top 5-10 pick on a QB. Very, very rarely do "developmental" QB's who were taken after the 2nd round pan out on the more modern era - and while those mid-round guys make for good back-ups, they're not the guys that are going to get you to dump your franchise signal-caller or even legitimately push them for the job.
  23. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    It's the fact he still has a starting job protecting Philip Rivers. Get rid of him, honestly. Cause I doubt anyone has the balls to bench him, and I don't know why. He doesn't deserve to be out there, period. He sucks, Von Miller took him to school and it's been like that all year and ever since he signed his damn contract.
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Again... bench him. He deserves it. But I'll be damned if I'm going to advocate the team taking a loss and putting themselves with less available cap to actually re-up and extend the players worth keeping just for the "moral victory" of sticking Jeromey Clary on the unemployment line. Clary's a quitter, you put him in any kind of open competition with someone who isn't a reject-Raider or an out-of-position 6th round (or later-selected) rookie and he's going to fold like origami.
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I agree no need for a QB, especially one late. I'd like to see the Chargers bring in Phil's brother as his replacement down the road, secondly ( and I hate to sound like a broken record) as the years went by so did the talent. I'm not going to re name the names but we know who was here and now gone and who is penciled in as a replacement. Just not acceptable, That would be like if Minnesota were to one day feel they could get more with AP not there and replaced him with that garbage of a back field happening in Green Bay. What I'm saying is, although some was on PR the INT's, bad throws, and losses, without the talent (or close to) what he had around him, its hard to be the same guy he once was
  26. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
  27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I like "the idea" of where they're going (though they've got the order skewed up in terms of strength of schedule faced). However, the author's hubris is a little suspect. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the same guy who was touting the greatness of Stanford's Jonathan Martin, saying that "the naysayers" may think he's not a Top 15 pick or a natural LT, but he (the author) has supreme confidence to not doubt.

I bring up Martin because, like him, the suspect issues with Matthews right now are lack of high-level footwork (that's coachable to an extent; if - like Martin - his lateral agility/foot speed are less than impressive, that's not) and athleticism are what are going to limit his stock until he proves otherwise. Matthews should be a fantastic RT at the next level (but spending a Top 10 pick on a pure RT is dumb strategy, unless the guy is capable of eventually moving to the left), but people tend to overrate "bloodlines" quite a bit; they tend to speak a bit more to work ethic and drive for the sport (along with football intelligence, if for no other reason than the guy grew up immersed in the sport). Bloodlines tend to yield cleaner technique at an earlier stage than they necessarily do "comparable athleticism" to the father, brother, uncle, etc. Just because the later is/was capable of something doesn't mean that by virtue of sharing similar genes the former automatically is
  28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Warmack's technique is actually cleaner than DeCastro's, he's just not quite the physical specimen (though not far off from it) that DDC was/is.
  30. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Maybe your not quite understanding, or didn't exactly read my post prior. So let me shed some light for you. First of all, I said I would take a flyer on this dude if it were the 6th or later! Nothing that you stated above I disagree with. But bringing up Alfonzo Dennard just basically confirms what I said in my post above. He was drafted in the 7th round because of those issues. And trust me guys like Dennard who clean their act up, and perform at the level they are capable of are few and far between. There are 20 guys to every 1 who have the same issues listed above who never grow up and become that.

All I am simply saying is I wouldn't touch this guy before the later rounds. And the reason for that is that there are more glaring needs on this team, than to draft a guy who has character issues, is very small, hasn't played in over a year, and has marginal coverage skills. There is no doubt he has ball skills.

I am not saying he will not be a good, or even great player at this level, but guys like this are a HUGE risk taken any earlier than the 4th round. And im not sure right now where this team is, if that's a smart gamble or not. Just an opinion.