1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 Draft Review: TT year 1.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by FCBolt, Dec 30, 2013.

?

What rating do you give Telesco's first draft after 1 year?

Poll closed Jun 30, 2014.
  1. A+

10.0%
  2. A

30.0%
  3. A-

40.0%
  4. B+

10.0%
  5. B

10.0%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    I've never been one to wait 4 years. For the vast majority of players, you pretty much have them pegged after year 1, for sure by year 2. So a quick review of TT's first year and poll to go with it.
    Round 1: Fluker. Improved as season went along. Showed ability to move over to LT when needed. Run blocking as advertised. Solid first round pick.
    Round 2: Te'o. Obviously risky with the bizarre girlfriend issue. Kid ends up being well-spoken, seems like he's smart, and picked it up as the season went along.
    Round 3: Allen. Steal of the draft.
    Round 5: S. Williams. IR'd.
    Round 6: T. Williams. What can you say, made team and saw some time due to injuries. Didn't stand out but appeared to be improving--good value for a 6th rounder so far.
    Round 7: Sorenson. Certainly kicked *** in the preseason. He was inactive every game, but so far it looks to me like TT found a damn good 3rd string QB in the last round.

All in all, a ******* good draft from TT. Kid keeps this up, and the Bolts will be rolling into 2014 season with a solid roster.
  2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,374 / 36 / -16
    I thought it was "3 years."

I don't usually jump the gun by two full years, but for you, FC, I'll make an exception.

Round 1: Fluker. Plenty of rookie mistakes, but yes, a good pick. Honestly, I love the guy even more than the player.
    Round 2: Te'o. Telescopo ruined many possible jokes. Slow start. Strong finish. Big ego, almost mandatory at LB.
    Round 3: Allen. Steal of the draft? Duh! And another wonderful Cal Golden Bear. Future All Pro.
    Round 5: S. Williams. IR'd. But also another Cal Golden Bear…so…we'll see...
    Round 6: T. Williams. Meh. 6 starts for a 6th rounder isn't bad, though. Should not be named after a VW.
    Round 7: Sorenson. Rivers is an iron man…so lots of B.S. questions still…we need to see more, man ;)

All in all, a solid draft from Telescopo. But an injury or two could change the entire equation. I'm sayin' "B" for now.

p.s. I love the grade inflation that doesn't even allow "D-" or "F." Where the Hell was that when I was in school?!?
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    1. Fluker: While I did not like the amount of pressure he allowed at LT, he's going to be a mainstay at RT. And by season's end he basically wasn't allowing anything on that side.

2. Te'o: Has really come on down the stretch, answering some of the aggression/power questions that his play raised over his first few starts.

3. Allen: Just the 3rd rookie since 2000 to finish with over 1,000 yards and 8 touchdowns.

5. Williams: Looked good on tape and in preseason, so we'll see.

6. Williams: Probably just a reserve long-term, which is fine in the 6th. And at one point he strip sacked PeyPey... so he was my #1 pass rusher of all time for a minute.

7. Sorensen: Looked good during his chances. Hopefully he's good enough that we can let Charlie walk without having to sign another veteran.

Solid "A." Trading up cost TT the "+."
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Fluker: Rock solid RT improving every game. Fixture at RT and future OL leader
    Te'o: Needed/Needs more development but you can definitely see the talent TT saw in him. Will at LEAST be a solid ILB
    Allen: Maybe Chargers biggest draft steal of the last 10 years. If he doesn't win OROY it's a crime
    S. Williams: IR so Incomplete. Really intrigued by him though
    T. Williams: Contributed a decent amount for 6th rounder, not wildly impressed and w Freeney/Ingram/Johnson/Keiser plus maybe a draft pick, might be a number crunch for him
    Sorensen: Looked good in preseason and that's the only time I wanna see him out there
    Addae: Has real potential to be answer at SS - keeps getting better and better every game
    Geathers: Potential is there but couldn't really see it. Not sure what happens next year but would be a shame to dump him
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I love what we ended up with in the draft. But as much as I like Fluker, I still wonder what could have been with Star in the 1st.
    A- from me.
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,374 / 36 / -16
    A free volleyball, judging by BoltsNHoes' avatar...
  7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Hard to say but I think Fluker would have had more immediate impact given how bad our OL was in 2013. We'll see in future though. Gotta think keeping PR upright is goal #1.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    B+ for me, but it's still early so I'm flexible on all these.

Fluker (A-) At first I hated it, but he's a better pass blocker than I gave him credit for, we're running a lot more than I expected so he's become very important, and he just seems to be one of those guys who has a heart of gold. My only knock comes in positional value, other than that he's gonna be here for the next 10 years I expect. Though if he moves to OG that will lower my grade of the pick, as for now I'm ecstatic to say he proved me wrong.

Te'o (B-) We shouldn't have given up the pick for him with Brown, Alonso, and himself still on the board. He's had a rough rookie season for all the reasons predicted by many of us on this board, but long term I find it hard to believe he won't work out as a solid player for years.

Allen (A) Always loved this guy in college, hell he made Brad Maynard look like a productive passer. No need to start gushing, I'll move on.

S. Williams (INC) After a great preseason he got hurt, but immediately he looks like he belongs. I expect he'll compete for a starting job next year, and I hope he does because I'm eager for another short CB to show why height is overrated.

T. Williams (F) He's not a great athlete, he was never super successful against the lower level of completion, and he had a disastrous combine as far as his workouts went. I hated the pick on draft day, I hate it more now because I doubt he makes the roster next year if we draft or sign an OLB.

Sorenson (B) Looks like our backup of the future. He shows good poise in the pocket, and a good NFL arm.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    It seems that the wage scale has taken a lot of the positional value considerations out of the equation for NFL teams. We don't have a very big sample size yet, but so far it looks like they're willing to go BPA even if that means RT or G, because you don't have to sink so much money into these kids.
  10. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    I think an F is a little harsh. I definitely don't think he's ever going to be a starter in this league, but that would be very atypical in the 6th round anyways. His level of competition wasn't great, but he did have a monster game against the best OL that he saw in college (1 sack, 1 hurry, 1 FF, 4 TFL against UCF in 2012). I know his 40 was bad, but that was basically the only workout measure where he underperformed. His 10 yd split, vertical, and bench were solid. Not amazing, but hey, he's a 6th round pick.

As for his work as a rookie, I haven't been overly impressed (outside of the strip sack of Peyton) but a 6th rounder should never have to play that much anyways. Injuries forced him into a starting role during a season where he shouldn't have been doing anything but playing ST and developing in practice and in the film room.

I still think he has the upside of a competent backup.