1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 Free agents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +668 / 17 / -2
    Unless we fill needs (not just bodies) in FA which is not likely given our cap space, not sure how much it'll be but we have 25 FA walking plus holes in the 2nd-ary and O line.

Only player in this draft I'd trade up for would be Damontre Moore and I don't think we're getting him so I'd sit patiently for Fisher or Milliner TBH
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    Quandre Diggs, Bradley Roby, and David Amerson (if he stays; has a bounce back year) will be top 20 picks. Bradley Roby will probably be the top 10 pick, because he plays at Ohio State, and Quandre Diggs and David Amerson will be in the middle of the pack picks in the draft.

We will be picking from 16 (8-8) to 26 (11-5) based on this years records. I think next years Chargers will be in that range maybe even lower than 16, we don't know until next year.

Bottom line is, we fix a glaring problem. I want a CB who will be dominant for 7+ years to come, ex. Champ Bailey, Darelle Revis, etc. And we can get that with Bradley Roby and Quandre Diggs in this draft. This team needs a dominant CB to lean on for years to come. We have a young, gritty defense, and its clear all signs point to a young dominant CB to be chosen next. I don't care if we give up a 2nd round pick, its what will have to be done.

We moved up 16 spots in 2010 and lost our 2nd round pick, and a swapped 4th round picks and Tim Dobbins. If were moving up 5-10 spots we'll give up a 2nd for sure, but I think that will be it.
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Sorry, but we NEED an offensive tackle WAY more than we need a CB. We have $90mil invested in a QB, unless we address both OT spots in FA, OT needs to be the #1 need on our list. Now if there isn't an OT available at 11, then we need to either trade back or get best player available, but no chance should we trade up to get a CB
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Agreed. O-line rebuilding has to be the #1 priority. We can get a FA CB if necessary, but we need several lineman, and some will have to come through the draft.
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    I'm talking about the 2014 draft, not 2013. Yes we need to draft 2 OL this year, one must have a future starting at LT. And whether we go LG/RG will be assessed during the draft.
  6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    You act like a 2nd round pick isn't a huge price to pay, especially when this team, even next season (2014 draft), is likely going to need shoring up at multiple positions (OLB, TE, SS, CB, C, WR) all come to mind. If we get a stud corner, but Rivers has no one to throw the ball to, or have no pass rush, how does that help us?
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    We can talk about 2014 when it comes around. If we have 7-8 needs going into that offseason like we have this year, then no chance do we give away extra picks. But if we only have a couple, like we did in the mid to late 2000's, then it is possible. We will have to look at it when it comes around
  8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Throw in that trading up to the 5th pick will be WAY more expensive than trading up the same number of picks to get to #12
  9. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    Rivers will be a FA in 2014, who knows if he's still here? I'll tell you if he has another turnover prone year, the next HC and GM will be looking elsewhere.

The CB is a premium position. Look at the league, its pass happy, we know this. If we can get a stud at CB, I don't mind giving up a 2nd rounder. We need a playmaker, and Bradley Roby or Quandre Diggs is that guy.
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    The trouble with that is that the purpose of the draft isn't just to pull players for the season immediately following the draft but also for the future. NT, C, WR, TE, CB, SS are all very likely to be huge needs in 2014/15 for this team. Trading a 2014 2nd or a 2015 1st to move up 10 spots to grab one of these elite CBs is madness. Even Revis can only eliminate one WR at a time, and that's only relevant if the team you're defending has 1 #1 receiver and no other targets.
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    QB, LT, and Pass-rusher are premium positions. CB is not on the same level. It's a passing league, which means that the number of targets going out in the patterns have multiplied, reducing the value of an individual CB. That doesn't mean that having one isn't an incredible boon to your team, but it isn't a position where the ROI from an above-average player is significantly less than that of an exceptional player.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    C - David Molk
    WR - Danario Alexander, Vincent Brown - then Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem still under contract
    TE - Ladarius Green
    SS - Brandon Taylor

I mean its tough to predict what we will and will not need a year from now, but I promise you CB and QB will be needs. We have to draft a future replacement for Rivers. He'll be turning 33 in 2014, and if he is resigned for the 2014 season, he still has to prove that the last 2 years of his career have been flukes.
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +482 / 13 / -3
    How is corner not a premium position? If you can eliminate an offenses number 1 target, thats one less target to throw to. Not every offense in the NFL uses the spread like the Patriots.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,018 / 33 / -20
    CBs are a little bit like goalies in soccer, one mistake and the game could be over.

The 4 most important positions in football.
    QB
    LT
    Pass rushers
    CB
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    Read the last sentence in the post I quoted. QB, LT, and pass-rusher are all positions where the drop off from an exceptional player to an above-average player is significant in terms of the ROI to your team. CB simply is not.
    • Agree Agree x 1