1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 25, 2013.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    And I KNEW I recognized the name when I read it (said I didn't know him earlier, now I feel stupid).

The Cornell WR we've signed, Luke Tasker... well his name should sound familiar... he's the son of 7-time Bills Pro Bowler Steve Tasker.
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Apparently all our (and everyone else's) RB's belong to Texans...
    James Christensen@NEPatriotsDraft
    1m

The Texans want all of the RB's. Just added Cierre Wood, RB, Notre Dame.

At least when they start cutting guys and our coaches realize Fozzy Whitaker and Edwin Baker are cutting the mustard we should have options on waivers.
  3. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    Marcus cromartie aigned with us
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Glad we got Kwame Gathers first and foremost
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Actually like Jerideau's chances of making the roster over him. Both played in SEC, but Jerideau is a freaking rock in the middle. Not much in the way of pass-rush, but he's really tough to move off the POA.
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well, they waited until the draft was technically over, but they're sure going after the fatties now.

Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    5m
    More competition added to D-line: Fomer Texas tackle Brandon Moore (6-foot-5, 317) has agreed to terms with Chargers.

Worth noting, Moore was originally recruited and started out at Bama, where he redshirted, then transferred to Texas and played 3 years. His last season ended on a pretty gruesome neck injury, but the guy was a BIG penetrator with experience in a 3-4 alignment. Could surprise.
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    42s
    Frank Beltre, an outside linebacker from Towson, has agreed to terms with Chargers. Had 36 tackles, five sacks in 11 starts last year.

Metrics are interesting on this one. Sub 7.0s 3-cone which projects well for move to OLB. 1.56s 10-yard split (that's good!), 4.67s 40 at 6'2" and 240 lbs. Looks like more of a speed rusher than an speed-to-power guy, but could get stronger yet.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    Well I'll take anyone we can get at this point, I hated the Tourek Williams pick, strikes me as a guy who will really struggle to get around NFL OTs.
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I ran Beltre's workout numbers through the formula and metrics. Not bad. Speaks nothing to his technique or level of comp faced (I'll dive into the tape later tonight or tomorrow), but the numbers show him comparable to a less agile, only-slightly-less explosive version of Brooks Reed. At worst, he projects favorably to Barnes and could be a sleeper to assume that role.
  10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Ray Ray Armstrong now in St. Louis..

What a squad they could be, Jeff Fisher could have one hell of a young defense. It's kind of scary, If both TJ McDonald and Ray Ray Armstrong iron out a few wrinkles in their game, those two are HUGE safeties, then you add in Cortland Finnegan and Janoris Jenkins, you have one hell of a defensive back unit, with swagger, ball skills and guys who love to HIT. Big fan of what Les Snead and Jeff Fisher are trying to do there.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    If I was Telesco,

CHARGERS GET: Rodger Saffold, 2014 7th round pick
    RAMS GET: 2014 4th rounder (Could be 3rd rounder, If Saffold plays atleast 12 games), Jeromey Clary
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Only amazing to you. :laugh:
  14. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Well after lurking on this forum all off season, Ive decided to post!

Anyways, I was pretty down on this pick at first as well. Then I watched some tape on him.

In the first vid vs Flordia Atlantic he shows good pass rush all game(couple sacks and maybe 10+ hurries), not as much in the second game vs Arkansas State, but in both he shows really good pursuit and never seems to give up and stop going. He seems to always take a good angle on the ball carrier and close in(no more 4th29 plays please!!!), he shows great awareness with where the ball is at, and going, in pretty much every play. I really agree with the high motor assessment. He seems to try a lot of different moves when pass rushing(spins and what not), not all the time it working out lol.

One of the on going themes of this draft for Telesco and every pick, seems to be character and work ethic. Hes seems to be prioritizing that over other attributes.

In a couple years I could see us developing him into our new Shaun Phillips.
  15. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    It was Florida Atlantic, and Arkansas State. :cautious:
  16. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. Some that stuff was ridiculous. Defenders falling all around him. He was obviously on a completely different level, and we wont know what hes capable of until hes matched up against some better competition. He made the other teams look like were in Pop Warner. Wasn't fair. In fact it was sad...
  17. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Oops yea. Meant to put Atlantic, got it mixed up.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    HAHAHA The funniest about this post is I guarantee you couldn't name 5 players in this draft as of the 24th of April, and now you're trying to be a smart *** about it.
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    I'm sorry....... are you done "backpedaling" already? :roflmao:
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    What was there to backpedal on? Are you stoned right now :confused:? Or is this more of you trying to too hard to be funny?

I was just reminiscing in past drafts, and stating that in general an overwhelming number of day 3 picks are washouts. Players I liked, players I didn't like, it doesn't matter, most end up becoming irrelevant.
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    You're so petrified of the thought of being wrong...... lighten up, will you. I've rarely come across a more defensive person than you.

Don't you get it?......... it's all just a big waste of time. Oh, the NFL has done a great job selling the draft to the fans, making it into a "must see" event. All the Mel Kipers and Mike Mayocks of the world don't change the fact that the NFL draft is much more a crap shoot than a science.

I've seen way too many college studs who were "can't miss" players, but turned out to be busts at the pro level. And I've seen unheralded and undrafted players go on to great careers. So, I don't obsess over the draft like you..... what's the point? I'm not a deluded armchair GM, thinking I have a better take on the prospects than the guys who are studying these players full-time and are getting well paid to do it.
    • Old Old x 1
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    Thing is I'm not, I've admitted being wrong about many things here including most recently Corey Liuget. (I was steadfast against the pick) and I'm close to throwing in the towel on Ryan Mathews as well, thats just the risk you take when you throw your opinion out into the world like I DO.

And I wasn't getting defensive, I said you're post was ironic, because I find it ironic when people like you who don't care about a topic (like the draft or anything else) or simply don't have the accumulated knowledge to form and voice an opinion of their own, yet actually have enough arrogance to rip the people who do for being wrong about something.

I find the draft fun, I like to study it, the fact that you don't does not make you better or WISER than everyone who does. So stick to what you're good at, which is copy and pasting UT articles for us so we can form opinions that you find so pointless.
  23. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    take that ....... [​IMG] ......and that.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    John, Paul, George, Mingo and Pete ?????? [​IMG]
  25. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    Its a highlight of my day seeing you two go to town ........

Funny as all farg.......

[​IMG]
  26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Jahleel Addae, DB, Central Michigan
    Nick Becton, T, Virginia Tech
    Frank Beltre, LB , Towson
    Greg Brown, DB, Kansas
    Ben Cotton, TE, Nebraska
    Marcus Cromartie, DB, Wisconsin
    Courtney Gardner, WR, Sierra College
    Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia
    Michael Hill, RB, Missouri Western
    Byron Jerideau, NT, South Carolina
    Josh Johnson, DB, Purdue
    Richard Kent, P, Vanderbilt
    Jamarkus McFarland, DE, Oklahoma
    Daniel Molls, LB, Toledo
    Brandon Moore, DE, Texas
    Kenny Okoro, DB, Wake Forest
    Randy Richards, T, Missouri State
    David Rolf, TE, Utah
    Luke Tasker, WR, Cornell
    Devan Walker, LB, Southeastern Louisiana

Some guys I really like: Especially Byron Jerideau, Fat boy is a BEAST!!!!

27. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Ray Ray is a St Louis Ram. :tup:
  28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Hey Matty... The last few months I have seen you toss this line at anyone who disagrees with you. You might want to climb down off your high horse for a bit. No one here is a NFL scout, an ESPN analyst, or anything close to it. Everyone has an opinion, and most are based on an extraordinary lack of information. To sell your opinion as anything other than an opinion is just idiotic IMHO.

So why not try and play nice. You have the same lack of ability of forming an educated opinion on a player, team, front office, game preparation, scheme and halftime show as the rest of us.

I know.. I know... You will now call me' bub' and explain why your right and I am wrong, and play the big guy behind the screen. The sad thing is, I think you would be really cool to post with, with some great incite if you got that damn chip off your shoulders.
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    So, you base your opinion off articles in the U-T...... that explains a lot, actually. :laugh:
  30. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,291 / 12 / -5
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1