1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2014 free agents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Nov 25, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Equally as interesting, these are guys who will be on their final year of their deal next year....(w/ '14 cap hit)

Freeney $5.12M
    Clary $6.2M
    Royal $6M
    Hardwick $5.6M
    McClain $3.33M
    Liuget $2.6M
    Dunlap $2.17M
    Woodhead $2.25M
    Gilchrist $1.2M
    V.Brown $.8M
    Wright $.8M

Lots of starters in contract years, and some dead weight that could be cut to free up a lot of space. Clary's $ is sickening.

Also of note, our cap hit for Gaither will be $4M and for Meachem $3.75M. Ouch.
  2. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    I heard Jacob Hester is available. :broncossuck:
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Don't forget Jarrett Johnson getting $5.5M as well. I'd rather pay the $5M to Freeney, who will get to the QB, when healthy, and have a guy like Ingram who can play Johnson's role for a lot less. Draft a pure pass rusher.

Royal, Clary, McClain, and Johnson or Freeney could be gone. That's about $20M cleared in cap space. Restructure Weddle, possibly Rivers again with an extension.

Also, I know its a long shot, but with TJ Ward hitting FA, I would love for the Chargers to make a run at him and pair him with Weddle. He'll probably look for Dashon Goldson money, but he would add another dynamic to this defense, letting Weddle make even more plays.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Johnson signed a 4 year $19M deal, so he's through 2015.
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah I was just adding JJ because of his cap hit in 2014. Quite ridiculous for a guy who has struggled to stay on the field with us, in Baltimore he played in 160 straight games. But, he has made a great impact since returning, I just don't think it's worth $5.5M+.
  6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 8 / -3
    I think Royal will restructure to stick around in this offense. Yeah hes been hurt. He also has 7 TDs.
  7. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Would love to see it, but I don't know if he truly wants to. I would love to JJ restructure too because he is a key piece to the defense, but I think we have a viable replacement.

Restructuring JJ, Weddle, and Royal and maybe extend Rivers as well is a lot to do, don't know if they work on everybody.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Cutting Clary is item #1. I would've cut him this year and just given the job to Troutman and signed a backup off the street.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Would of taken a dead $ hit, in 2014 there is no more guaranteed money going his way.
  10. AusCharged

AusCharged BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How will that go with their choice of drafting Te'o. Can he play ILB on 4-3?
  11. AusCharged

AusCharged BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think DA's got the desire to play at the next level. Personally I think he relished the attention he got for booming for us when he did. To do that opposite another WR threat would, IMO, suit him. All injury issues, and dollar concerns aside of course.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    This was pre-Lissemore. Thomas was getting washed out in the run game, but Lissemore has done a pretty good job holding his own in the run game.

I said this because Liuget and Reyes are pretty good run stoppers, more Liuget than Reyes.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    I would say...

• Ajirotutu: ST value as a 5th WR.
    • Stuckey: ST value as a 4th S.
    • Walker: ST value and ILB/OLB versatility.
    • Butler: As long as he's not asking for the moon.
    • Guy: He's been a great rotational option.
    • Rinehart: Good backup and camp competition for LG.
    • Alexander: Offer a non-guaranteed, vet minimum and let him compete in camp.
    • Keiser: More depth as a true OLB.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I'd give Hawkins and Crezdon Butler another look too, more a competition in camp, and Rinehart is a starter at LG, would love to see either Troutman at RG or draft/sign a true RG. Clary has been bad at RG this year.
  15. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    As far as guys I'd let go
    I'd be fine with giving them and DA a look in camp.

I think Rinehart is fine at LG, but in a perfect world he's a backup. Partially because his health hasn't been reliable over the course of his career.

Because Dunlap has been playing so well, I've been kicking around the idea of drafting a tackle and sticking them at LG for a year. Someone like Greg Robinson, Cedric Ogbuehi, or La'el Collins.

That way we upgrade at LG, and have a better backup plan if Dunlap continues to deal with concussions. And it would sew up the LT position for the future when King's contract expires. Because it looks like BPA could well end up being an offensive lineman, as much as I'd love a premier pass rusher.
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    If we still have Joe D at the end of this year, and we should, look for guys like Chris Hairston, who might of lost his spot on the Bills after being placed on the IR, to be released going into a contract year. Bills seem to fine without him, and he is actually an as good LT as RT. He swings.

Joe D makes the best of what he has. Even Michael Harris coming back, and Nick Becton getting another year under his belt. Bring in a FA, keep King Dunlap, because man has he been something this year when he is healthy, and continue forward with that group of 3-4 possible LT's and let them compete in camp.

I'm eyeing a guy like Cornelius Lucas (6'8-6'9), fits the mold of what Joe D likes, long and tall OT prospects in the later rounds, and also Matt Hall (6'9). We don't need premium OL in this offensive line scheme Joe D is running, we have a great group of guys now and it will continue to get stronger, quite astonished what this group has accomplished with all the injuries that have taken its course. Testament to great coaching by Joe D.
  17. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    I recognize Coach D's ability to elevate talent, but that didn't stop our FO from drafting a lineman at #11 because they viewed him as BPA (or so they claim). And that's what I'm saying-- this draft seems to be setting up for a similar scenario.
  18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +178 / 2 / -1
    Regarding the basic question do we use our first draft pick to improve our offense or defense, defense has the greatest need BUT the offense has been the defense's best friend this year (especially early in the season) because of outstanding time of possession. Almost like a 2fer deal if the BPA that falls to us is indeed a franchise tackle.
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I believe that as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if we take on low end FA's like we did this past year and draft BPA. I would like to see at least 1 big name FA though, making the playoffs will help attracting a name.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    As long as they cut the right guys, they'll have room to bring in at least one higher priced FA. And I would prefer it be a nose tackle, as there is really only one decent NT prospect in the draft. That or a corner.

Just looking at the board now, it seems like OT could end up being BPA. Especially if the juniors declare. And if that player can sew up LG while being the future at LT, so much the better.
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I'd like to take a stab at SS, a guy like Jarius Byrd, or my favorite, TJ Ward. Eric Weddle would be allowed to do so much more.

But, it will be interesting who we decide to cut, and who we decide to restructure. Woohead might need an extension as long as Rivers is here.
  22. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    I understand signing a safety given how bad the draft class is at that position. But with Gilchrist, Addae, and Stuckey getting better every week I feel like we could have a greater net effect by spending FA$ elsewhere.
  23. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Definitely agree, but Stuckey is a FA after this year. Will be interesting what we do there, and if the front office has the patience for Brandon Taylor given he wasn't Telesco's pick. Also, I'm okay with Addae being a rotation guy, however he is limited. I believe he can only play in the box, his coverage skills are limited.

I think it would be best to move Gilchrist back to CB. As we saw on TNF in Denver, the guy is best as a nickel CB. He can do everything there, though I don't mind him staying at SS. I just think he's a better nickel CB or CB #2. Even Wright has turned the corner the last few games here as we've gotten to the QB. Still think Cox deserves a shot with a pass rush.
  24. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    in the draft I'd be happy with BPA in any of these positions : LT, NT, OLB or CB (in no particular order), hey, I'd even take the WR from Texas A&M (Evans)
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I have as similar thought, but I'm looking at it more from the prospective of getting utility out of someone who would be drafted with the aim of him eventually succeeding Big Nick at center. This is a center-rich class, or is turning out to be with the underclassman declares that have been coming out (4-5 guys that I can safely project to have starter potential at the center position at the pro level: Swanson, Richburg, Stork, Steen, and Martin). Give that guy a year or two to cut his teeth, bridge the strength/size gap from college to the pro's in terms of competition faced, as well as having the benefit of having Hardwick playing next to him for additional aid in double-teams (plus to mentor). That's an ideal situation, and preferable to signing any "name" free agent guard (outside of maybe Jon Asamoah if he doesn't resign with KC because when I scouted him as a prospect I felt he had potential to play center as well).
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Don't forget Rudy Biehrr from Texas A&W
  27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Except that both of those guys are going to command Weddle type money and if we were to have two safeties getting paid like that, we'd have absolutely no prayer on earth of retaining both Liuget and Reyes when extension time comes for the two of them (in successive years, mind you).

Rough run of numbers, the two guys most likely to be approached about restructuring are Rivers (likely restructured via an extension... fingers crossed it would be a Brady-esque extension - look at the numbers compared to what Flacco got, they're incredibly reasonable) and Weddle (more of a help us keep the guys helping you bit - we've got a TON of cap room in 2015, to the tune of like $45m if all current contracts were to hold - so I can see us shifting the cap-hit of some of his 2014 money to 2015 and '16 to re-up Butler or extend Liuget a year early in an attempt to get a better deal). But even with some fairly heavy cuts (JJ as a June 1st cut to minimize immediate dead-money hit, Clary, McClain, Patrick, Mouton, English) and the above mentioned Rivers extension and Weddle restructure, we're only going to be sitting at around a shade over $20 million in cap-space, with it likely to cost roughly $5 million of that to sign our draft class and another roughly $2-3 million needing to be kept for the wiggle room to cover any signings made necessary by injuries.

Just to put it into perspective for folks.

A neat tool to be able to play with can be found here: http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Chargers
  28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    ?
  29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    MasterOfPuppets said: "...hey, I'd even take the WR from Texas A&M (Evans)"

Lance19 said: "Don't forget Rudy Biehrr from Texas A&W"

Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?

Rudy Biehrr.jpg
  30. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    I really like the idea of grooming Steen as our center of the future. Otherwise, I'm pretty fond of Richburg.