1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2014 free agents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Nov 25, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 13 / -3
    What about a Goldson type deal for one of them? I don't know his cap number this year (first year of his contract) but it wasn't about $5M I believe, if we we can push that cap hit to 2014-15 where we do have that cap $ to play with to pay him a decent amount of money.

TJ Ward is more ideal to me, he might come a little cheaper than Byrd, and Byrd has that foot injury that scares me off.

EDIT: Just saw Goldson's cap #'s, never mind their quite scary lol
  2. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    And even if you get creative with cap figures, sooner or later you're still committing a huge chunk of the budget to safeties. I get the desire to find the final answer next to E-Dubs, but I just don't see it. But I do agree that, if we were gonna spend the dough, Ward would be great.
  3. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Who's your preference at NT Kemp? I've heard people mention Solai, Linval Joseph and Cody. Who would you be targeting and what type of contract do you expect it would take?
  4. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    Soliai is the safe pick. He's played the position at a high level in the past and he's only 30.

Joseph is the upside option, but he's only played the shade in a 4-3 so you'd have to project him to our scheme. I think he can do it, but it's less certain and there could be growing pains.

Pat Sims is another interesting guy. He's definitely got the body type. As of late he's been playing out of his mind. But you have to be careful with a guy who only seems to play with a lot of effort when he smells a new contract.

I will be interested to see what happens with Wilfork given his age, cap figure, and injury.