1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

3 weeks left until the CBA expires

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    March 3rd, 2011.

Twitter was awash with rumors and speculations that the talks taking place yesterday were hostile and got no where.

There are conflicting reports, but if both sides chooses now to dig in their heels, we will see a lockout in 2011.

Let's hope for the best.

In the long run, Norv hater, Charger despressee, Raider fan, blind backer or what ever lable applies, we want to watch the game and team we love. That cant happen if the Rich boys cant get along.
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Screw it. There's plenty of college ball to watch.
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I maintain hope that both sides will see that the priority is to ensure that business continues but in a fight between millionaires and billionaires the fans and the employees of the teams will be the only ones who lose out.
  4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I am sorry to say that if there is a lockout, I will not renew my seats.

I hope they find away to avoid a lockout, I would love to come back for the 2011 season!!!!
  5. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    I cant balme you.
  6. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I am not the only one who feels this way.

It will be very interesting now with regards to the Chargers. They have all ready commited to playing here in San Diego in 2011. Now if there is no season, do they start moving in a direction to move to LA? The amount they would owe because of the stadium expansion from what I can remember is in the 5 million dollar range next year.

All of this could work out to the Chargers adavantage.
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am actually surprised they aren't demanding ticket payments before the lockout goes into affect
  8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    first payment is due Feb 18th!!!!
  9. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    T minus 17 days and counting.

No word on any further scheduled talks.

However the Union did not ask players, agents and hopefuls to boycot the combine. A step in the right directions perhaps.
  10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Isn't the league suing the Players Union now for "negotiating in bad-faith"?
  11. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    I have not heard that one. I know some had talked like the League should, but I took it as simple press foder...
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

NFL.com news: NFL says players' union is 'surface bargaining' so it can file suit

The NFL confirmed that it filed an unfair labor practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board against the NFL Players Association on Monday.

The charge states that the players' union has failed to bargain in good faith as a result of its strategy to "disclaim interest" (or "decertify") and file antitrust litigation against the NFL following expiration of the collective bargaining agreement March 3.

The NLRB is an independent federal agency, based in Washington D.C., that enforces the nation's labor laws and referees labor-management disputes.
  13. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    That is stupid, there is nothing that I know of that could prevent decertification.... Missed that one though, thanks. I am willing to say that the CBA will expire.

UNLESS, both sides vote to extend the deadline as they did in.... what was it... '07?
  14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    if they have that much $$$$$$ they will not miss my $1,200.00 for tickets, $250.00 for parking, $1,000.00 for Jerseys, Shirts, Hats, Beer, Hot Dogs, Soda, Water, Pop Corn, Pizza, Cotton Candy, and what ever else the kid wants during the game for the whole season.
  15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    There will be a lockout. Until the owners open their books the players should not negotiate.
  16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    The owners should tell the players to get screwed. If there is no NFL, these players aren't making dick. Let them start their own league as they like to talk about doing, it will fare as well as every other upstart league. The NFL owners can then fill their teams with replacement players. The NFL will suck for a little while since the big names will be elsewhere. But within a couple years, nobody will even notice. New stars will emerge, many of the old players will crawl back after their new league fizzles and they realize the NFL is the reason they were making so much money. Because when it comes down to it, the NFL has history and rivalries, and that's what every upstart league doesn't have. Even with replacements, Dallas Cowboys vs Philadelphia Eagles will always be more popular than Newark Nitros vs Orlando Ocelots. Players come and go, but the teams will always be there.
  17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    The owners want another Billion off the top and to adjust the percentage of sharing. All the players are asking is that the owners prove to them that they have been taking this huge loss (that is what they are screaming) and they are willing to adjust it. All the owners have to do is open their books and all will be fine. You know why they wont open their books? Because they are liars.
  18. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    Do you get to ask your boss to open his books to you?
  19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Where they stand

Where They Stand - 02.21.11 - SI Vault

As the expiration of the current bargaining agreement approaches—March 3 is D day—the two sides remain far apart on the major issues

At his State of the League address in Dallas before the Super Bowl, commissioner Roger Goodell said of the NFL's labor arrangement, "the status quo is unacceptable." In 2010 the $9.3 billion revenue pie was sliced like this: $1.3 billion to the league for expenses associated with growing the game (i.e., stadium construction, the NFL Network, overseas initiatives); $4.65 billion (or 57% of remaining revenues) to the players; and approximately $3.35 billion to the owners. In simple math: the owners received about $4.75 billion, the players $4.65 billion. These are the key issues in the negotiation.

Revenue distribution Owners say they want to balance financial risks and rewards by taking an additional $1 billion in expense credits out of the revenue pool. Players have proposed a straight 50-50 split of all monies; the union also want the owners to show the risks by opening their books, a concession owners have steadfastly refused.

18-game season To grow revenues, the league wants to eliminate two exhibition games and add two regular-season games. Players contend that 16 games is enough; if the season were longer, they'd want to address the added toll on their bodies by limiting hitting in off-season workouts and in-season practices and improving postcareer health care.

Rookie wage scale The sides agree on the idea of a new rookie pay system, but the union believes the owners' recent proposal, which includes lower minimum salaries and more years of service before filing for free agency, amounts to a veteran wage scale.

Forfeiture language If players violate the law or the personal-conduct policy, owners want to be able to recoup bonus monies more easily. The NFLPA contends that signing bonuses represent the players' only real guaranteed money, and therefore should be theirs to keep.

Both sides say the biggest loser in any work stoppage would be the fans, and that they will work feverishly to reach an agreement before the CBA expires. Yet at week's end, prospects for a deal seemed as dim as ever.
  20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I am in the Civil Service. I work for the Navy.

They can’t even find his Birth Certificate
  21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    If it is a publically traded company, then, HELL YES you get to see the books.

Green Bay is a public owned entity. AFAIK, their books have ALWAYS been open. What are the other owners afraid of?
  22. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
  23. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    oh H8er, why'd you have to go there
  24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I could understand the owners not wanting the players (or the public) to see the details of the books. I juts wonder why it can't be done by an independent auditor. That way the players can get some of the info they are looking for, while the owners can prevent the players from seeing all the details.

With that said, I don't blame the owners for not wanting to just give the owners an extra $1 Bil +. The players union has said over and over that they are willing to give money back if it is in the best interest of the league, but juts putting an extra $40 mil/yr in each owners pocket won't necessarily make the league better
  25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

if you dont want the answer, dont ask the question
  26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
  27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4

[​IMG]
  28. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    There are those people who would still find some reason to question his birth if they were standing in the delivery room when he was born. It's just ridiculous, and I find it interesting that no other President has EVER had his birth questioned this vigorously, if at all. Of course they were all white and didn't have names that might sound a bit Muslim.
  29. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
  30. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    :lol: