1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

3 weeks left until the CBA expires

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    One week after walkout, silence
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2011, 1:18 PM EST

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell believes that the time has come to make a deal. Unless he and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith have mastered the gift of ESP, getting a deal done will be difficult because the two sides simply aren’t talking.

Judy Battista of the New York Times reports that there have been no conversations since the league walked out of last Wednesday’s bargaining session.

“It was not the meeting we expected when we went there,” NFL general counsel Jeff Pash told Battista regarding the league’s decision to short-circuit the two-day meeting less than one day into it. “A lot of groundwork had been laid for what we hoped would be a very productive session. It became clear over the course of hours of discussion that we had a pretty fundamental disagreement, that there was not a meeting of minds.”

Battista also reports that the talks broke down after the league concluded that the union had backtracked on a willingness to reduce its cut of the post-$1-billion-off-the-top revenue from 59.6 cents per dollar to 52. The owners had proposed cutting the number to 48 percent. When the league inquired as to possibilities for bridging the gap, the union said that the 52-cent model was merely an illustration, not a proposal.

(This conflicts with Chris Mortensen’s report from last week that the union asked for roughly 50 cents of all dollars, and that in response the league left the meeting.)

Putting that into total dollars, if we assume $9 billion in revenue and $1 billion off the top, a move from 59.6 cents to 52 represents a reduction from $4.768 billion to $4.16 billion. That’s a drop of $608 million per year, based on current numbers.

The league’s offer of 48 cents takes it down to $3.84 billion, more than $900 million less the cut the players get under the current formula.

It’s no surprise that, instead of taking another $1 billion off the top, the league wants to tweak the formula in a way that translates to roughly $1 billion now, since as the pie continues to grow that number will grow.

Still, it’s unfortunate that, with 16 days until the labor deal expires, nothing is happening.
  2. angle45media

angle45media BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Are you serious? Where did you hear that Green Bay is a publicly owned company?
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    The Packers? Since what, the 60's?
  4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    Practically since their inception. Google is your friend on this one.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    its all good, I could care less one way or another. I am not politically motivated at all. But I do get caught up in the emails that get sent around by some good friends. Some I read and some I delete. They understand that. They don’t like some of the stuff I send out so it goes both ways.

Right now he is the President and whether I like it or not, I must follow his orders. I have one more President to go after this one, and then I get to retire as I am going out in 5 more years with 40 years in Service.
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549 / 44 / -6
    Old Willey was right, lets take them all out and hang them tonight.