1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

3rd Seed vs. 4th Seed: Which is better?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Dec 14, 2007.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    With Pittsburgh's loss last weekend, the 3rd playoff seed is within reach for the Chargers. All they have to do is win out, and the Steelers need to lose to either Jacksonville or Baltimore.

Some (myself included) think that it would be a great opportunity for the Chargers to grab ahold of the third seed, for several reasons. First, there would be a chance of having the AFC Championship game at home, should we make it there and another team upsets the Patriots in the divisional round. Second, we would face Cleveland in the Wild Card Round as opposed to Jacksonville again. Cleveland is ranked 28th against the run, while Jax is ranked 5th. It seems like it would be a lot easier and we would be in for a much less physical game against Cleveland than against Jacksonville. Lastly, we wouldn't have to face the Patriots until the AFC Championship game, increasing our chances of making it that far and giving them only one week as opposed to two to prepare for us.

Others would prefer us to get the 4th seed. This includes Kevin Acee at the UT. They argue that it is unlikely the Chargers would get the conference championship game at home because it is highly unlikely the Patriots would lose in the divisional round, so it doesn't really matter when we play them. They also argue that we would have a better chance of beating NE than Indianapolis, as NE's passing attack would be grounded in the snowy winds of Foxborough, while Peyton Manning would be able to pass with ease inside the calm, warm RCA Dome. Lastly, They would argue that Cleveland is not such a pushover, and their pass-happy spread offense is the kind San Diego has struggled with all season, while we could win a slugmatch with Jacksonville, because this time it would in California instead of Florida.

So there are, as far as I can see, the pros and cons of each. What is everyone else's opinion?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I would much rather get the third seed.

I would be much more confident facing Cleveland or Buffalo over Jacksonville. As you pointed out, Jacksonville has a much better run defense, and I like our chances offensively against Cleveland much more. A game against Cleveland would also be much less physically demanding than a game versus Jacksonville, not to mention that Cleveland has virtually no playoff experience. Also, there are always upsets come playoff time. If we can stay alive, who knows what might happen to the Patriots. If they get taken out before the Championship round, all the better. I think that our team would fare much better getting Cleveland at home, then Indy on the road, over Jacksonville at home, then New England on the road.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    3rd. I much prefer playing the lower seed in the WC game and then going into the climate controled environment of Indy where we have had success before. The less games we have to play in the snow or otherwise ****** weather the better.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Just ..... because. You always want to be the highest seed possible. You want the most chances at hosting games further into the playoffs.

But, it all comes down to beating whoever you have to face. Bring 'em on. Pats, Colts, Browns, Jags, Bills, Steelers, whoever. Just beat their ***.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Damn straight. I like the sound of 3rd seed vs. 4th, but the reality is that we need to beat the best to get to the SB. And that's where I want to be. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    It sure is fun to think about. :yes:

I don't really care, but I know that Belicheats playoff teams that have had two weeks to prepare, be it in the Divisional Round or the Super Bowl, have a pretty astounding record. Even when he was the DC under Parcells, giving Belicheat two weeks to prepare is a death wish.

I want the third seed.

7. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    3rd so we can have a chance at playing in SD for the Championship, albeit a small chance, I dont see NE being knocked off early...

However, we have had The Colts number for quite a while... you know whomever is calling the game is gonna bring up the statistic how we beat them the last ~4 games in a row to only jinx us... kinda like Roulette, you get that red 5x, then you know it's gonna be black at some point... :lol:

I agree with others though, a temperature controlled environment is better than snow.. although it is gonna be LOUD in that dome... Then again, cold snowy day, would stall the Patriots passing game, making them rely on the run... which they do not have... Advantage BOLTS!

Reluctantly, I say 4th seed...

FOUTS

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    I'd rather play Jacksonville @ home and see if this team really is up to the level they should be. If they beat Jax in the playoffs we'll know they're ready.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    wouldn't Indy AND NE have to lose for us to host a AFC title game??

:icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Yes.

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

well, fuk it

lets make the playoffs and kick *** wherever we end up!!!

:abq2::abq1: :abq2::abq1: :abq2::abq1:

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,757 / 39 / -8
    6 of one half a dozen of the others.

We have to win the first game which we would host. Usually by then the seeding is shot.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Play the mental masterbation game ALL YOU WANT and there is only one word or result I want.

I do not care who, when, how OR what if. Fuk that.

If I do not hear this one word, this season is a failure.

The word is:

:bolt:LOMBARDI:bolt:

14. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    I would prefer the third seed, but as others have stated....there is only one goal. Lombardi Trophy! :abq2::bolt::abq1:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    Advantages of 3rd Seed
    Play an easier wildcard team
    Better chance of hosting the AFC Championship
    Will go to Indianapolis instead of New England

Disadvantages of 3rd seed

Requires Pittsburgh to lose two of its next three AFC games
    Will require us to play and push our starters when they're banged up

Advantages of 4th Seed
    Its ours right now
    We can rest our starters now

Disadvantages of 4th seed

We will probably face Jacksonville home
    If we beat Jax then we'd have to go to New England
    No real chance to host another playoff game

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,304 / 12 / -5
    I thought if we end up in a tie with Pittsburgh (both at 11-5), we'd get the third seed? :icon_huh:

17. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    We do. Ant must have got that from his source.

Conference record would be the #1 tie breaker, and we would be 9-3 if we win out, Pitt would be 8-4 if they lose to either Jax or Balt.

18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,123 / 32 / -0
    You are wrong so often you should be an NFL pundit.

:icon_tease:

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    But I'm right and make enough interesting statements that they'd never hire me.
    I got it wrong, sorry

20. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yes...We would have to win our first game and then play NE if we're the 4th seed and Indy if we're the 3rd seed at thier fields.

I think he was stating earlier that it would be implied that Indy lost in that we would have had to beat them the previous week prior to us hosting the Championship game...Again, if we were to become the third seed.

TBF

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    As banged up as we are I think I'd rather face Cleveland than Jax, but when it comes down to it, we just have to nut up and beat whoever the hell it is we play. So I actually don't care. Trumpy called it right on this. Bring 'em on, the long the short and the tall.

22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

to damn confusing for an old guy

lets just take care of business

doesn't matter who or where

I'm still stinging from last year, 2004, 1994, and the 1980's

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

23. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    3rd all the way. Jacksonville matches up too well against us and it's not like we historically struggle against Indy.

24. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    We ' ll have to face Indy and NE at home anyway, when we
    win the Wildcard game at home.
    I prefer Cleveland over Jaxonville, so that means Cleveland tops
    Steelers or we get 3rd seed.
    I'll bet on 4th seed and a snowgame @ Boston. Tomlinson will rush us through the cold and Cromartie will get 2 INTs to stop Brady.

25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    You can count on cold, but you can't count on snow or sleet or any other meteorological equalizer in New England. A snow or any lousy weather game would be good. We could wind up with 20ยบ and clear skies. That would suck. A Nor'Easter would be great.

26. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Something else to ponder. Last year we all saw how old and tired the Patriots looked in the second half of the AFC Championship game. Much of this had to do with physicality of our matchup in the divisional round. A potential matchup between the Patriots and Pittsburgh/Jacksonville would undoubtedly sap their energy and their strength, and might serve beneficial to us if we made it to the AFC Championship game. If we played the Patriots in the divisional round, they would be coming off of two weeks rest.

• Like Like x 1
  27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 49 / -6
    I don't really give a flip what seed we are, the fact is that no matter where we land we will HAVE to win. We will have to play and win three games to get into the big show but we still have three to go in the regular season. Let's get through those games first.:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Word. Get there or be square. Living well is the best revenge, no matter who we play.

29. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    We could host the AFC Championship as the fourth seed if we beat the #5 seed (most likely Jacksonville), then beat New England in New England and if the #6 seed (most likely Cleveland) beats the Steelers, then beats the Colts in Indy.

Ok, it's a very unlikely scenario, but it is mathematically possible.