1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

5 Good Reasons San Diego Chargers Fans Hate A.J. Smith

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by Pumpkin Bolt, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    I would switch #2 with #5.

My only issue with firing Marty was the timing of it way to late in the off-season

link

2. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    I think they are all #1 but #1 a, #1b, #1c,...
  3. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    If he had called it "5 Reasons" instead of "5 Good Reasons" , I could laugh at dumb fans with him instead of laugh at him.

This is just terrible

Schottenheimer was one boneheaded play away from seeing his best team have a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl berth.
  4. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    Good Lord! :roflmao:

Tomlinson was the ultimate example of class as a Charger.
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    WOW!!!!!! someone has issues and football isn't one of them.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I agree with your modification regarding the timing of Marty being fired, I will also add that it shouldn't be Hardball negotiations when referring to McNeil and VJ, I would say it was the outright refusal to negotiate that pissed me off
  7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    #3 wasn't even AJ

I refuse to take anything seriously when it can't even comprehend the basic concept of a boss-employee relationship. Deano could have just as easily chosen Marty over AJ in that scuffle.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    you are right. I think it was the right choice because who would have Dean hired that was/is better than the AJ/Nix combo?
  10. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    No mention of the infamous "A.J. ego"???... This list is incomplete! haha
    • Old Old x 1
  11. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259 / 4 / -0
  12. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +110 / 4 / -0
    This all I needed to see to ignore this:

Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    It's #5. No "I want to sound like I know something, so I'll parrot the ego thing" rant is complete without it. The Steelers didn't bend over for Mike Wallace's agent, so I guess their GM is an egomaniac too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    I knew the author was an idiot as soon as he went with the "Lord of No Rings" thing. That normally goes with the butt hurt of A.J. not talking to you (Jay Paris) or the butt hurt of A.J. not giving you the money you want for your client (Neil Schwartz). Other than those two, it's normally used by dipsh*ts trying to sound clever. There have been 46 NFL Champions, 10 AFL Champions, and 46 Super Bowl Champions, and some GMs have won more than one. There are WAY MORE, by a wide margin, who have never won a ring, yet dipsh*ts like to pretend that A.J. is the only one.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    The bottom line for me is I believe we've had a talented enough roster to win a playoff game or two for the last 7 seasons, and that is due to AJ Smith. I don't have any love for the guy as a person, but thats not why he gets paid the big bucks to build teams. Its clear that once again this offseason he's done good to keep his job and eventually finish out his contract here (2014).

I just worry about when September rolls around we end up saying..."oh yeah, I remember these guys" as we come out flat, sloppy, and underwhelming.
  16. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    Let's be realistic about AJ. I for one is thrilled with the way he keeps control of the organisation. He is running it and not allowing the players or agents dictate how he is going to run the team from a money perspective. He hasn't stopped being true to his philosophy.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +93 / 2 / -0
    Each one of those idiotic points haven't been discussed at all have they? I mean for Gods sake it's 2012. AJ and Norv are back deal with it or go follow who ever floats your freaking boat!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Did you just read the thread title and excitedly jump to the reply section so you can brazenly complain about AJ's ego through a rhetorical question without actually reading the content?

I mean, it's not as though #5 is listed in bold print blatantly titled "Ego" or anything, so I guess it's easy to miss.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Except that the Steelers actually did negotiate with Wallace, just couldn't come to an agreement. That is where they differ
  20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    And I thought I had some issues
  21. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    Will you ever get it through your skull teams are not REQUIRED to negotiate with anybody, and that choosing that option does not make someone an egomaniac, it just means they have no desire to negotiate at that point. If you want to call him foolish for not negotiating, that might be a valid point. But ego thing is just a lazy statement thrown out there by people who don't like A.J. (you). NOBODY knows the motivations behind the moves made by the team because none of us are in the building.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    I love it, the more folks complain, b1tch and hate on AJ and Norv the better it gets for me. Knowing that no matter how much hate and vile is spewed forth brings absolutely no recompense of satisfaction is bewildering. I do get a kick out of reading through it though, there is some funny shyte attached so keep it up!
  23. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1

I had a glance, and actually made the comment as a joke, hence the "haha" on the end. Lighten up bro... I wasn't "brazenly complaining" as you put it, I could care less about the man's so called ego, it just seems to come up a lot when people criticize the guy. Forgive me, bad joke.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +222 / 1 / -1
    I agree with you, but in the case of the Steelers I do wonder what has gone on there. The curious part is they go and extend Antonio Brown, so if they'll extend Brown, what is up with Mike Wallace? Is he asking for too much? Do they not wanna keep him long term? Not really sure what they are up to, I don't think it's a case of "ego", but either way i'm probably straying from the topic of AJ Smith lol.
  25. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    AJ has the balls to draft injured dudes and trade up on a thin team. :tup:
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Being required has zero to do with it. When the teams publicly state the want a player on the team, then refuse to even try and negotiate, they will always be viewed in a negative light. No one says they must actually come to an agreement, or give the player what they want. But if you want a guy, put forth an effort to show it
  27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    You keep bringing up the Stillers and they are the original hard nosed "cheap" teams in the league. Why folks will complain when AJ does they exact same thing as other teams that are proven winners is beyond me. It takes several years to change the face of a franchise and it's coming along nicely. Hell, even Gates has eluded to the fact that the "prima donnas" are gone and it took a few years. I'd rather stay this course than go back to the way it was.
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    When did I bring up the steelers? I only commented on the Mike Wallace situation where the Steelers DID attempt to negotiate, failed to get a deal done, they cut off negotiations which is totally understandable.

I am glad those prima donnas are gone, which is why I wanted VJ to be traded from day one. My point is and always has been if they want him, which they said they did, then work out a deal. If not, trade his *** and get something in return. We ended up neither getting him re-signed nor getting anything for him.

By the way, nearly all the prima donnas that you, me, and everyone else complain about, were guys that AJ brought in
  29. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    Fine. But you, and people like you, like to throw "ego" and "power play" around instead of just saying you wished the team would negotiate with the player. That's all. Leave the stupid "ego" bullsh*t out and I might see your point.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Savage Lizard

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    No, your "point" often includes digs at A.J. and comments about ego and power plays. When you become a "one issue guy" like B4L when he was here, any valid point you might make gets lost in your incessant whining about the guy you don't like.

So were the good players, drafting guys in their early 20's is an inexact science. You have no way of knowing who will end up busting their as* or have a sense of entitlement. You can do all of your homework, but ultimately there are dudes on EVERY team who end up not panning out in some way.