1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

5 Good Reasons San Diego Chargers Fans Hate A.J. Smith

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by Pumpkin Bolt, Jul 30, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Except that they refused to negotiate was a power play, and was demonstrated when McNeil finally showed up and was rewarded with a contract. It had nothing to do with not wanting to work out a deal, it was all about proving who was in charge, which is the definition of a power play. Whether you view it that way or not, I don't really care. That was exactly what happened

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am not saying that it is bad or good that AJ drafted these guys because I understand there is an inherent risk (which the top notch GM's tend to do a better job at) of not knowing how people will act when they get money and fame. But it doesn't make it any less of a fact taht he drafted them, while also constantly taking about only targeting character guys.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    By the way, when you can't handle criticism of your man crush and have to come to his defense with everyone who questions his greatness, your message also gets old and stale

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    Until AJ was put on watch the Chargers were always a push over to players and agents, not anymore and if it butt hurts you that's just to damn bad. No one has to like AJ or agree with all that he does and I have worked for GM's like him and even though they may be hated, they are definitely respected.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9

There have been way more GMs than SB winning GMs, by a ratio of 30:1 or so if not 40:1. Of the non-winners, I don't think very many of them have had the job for 9 seasons with the same team. Is the Lord of No Rings title a bit overblown, sure, but at some point, you start to wonder when his personality will start costing the team opportunities, especially if his decision-making doesn't get this team a ring soon. Bill B can act however he pleases because he's been to the Superbowl 5 of the last 11 years, and won 3 of them, along with missing the playoffs 1 time, and that only when his QB went down with an injury in week 1. Since taking over Smitty's teams have been to the postseason 5 times in 9 seasons, with a total of 3 wins.

I think his attitude will be vindicated if he wins, otherwise he's just like all of these other ringless GMs, except that he got more chances than they did.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I agree, which is why I use to have a "In AJ I trust" bumper stick on my cubicle at work. At that time his draft were good, he was re-signing players to team friendly contracts early in their career, which eliminated the drama later on, and he was using free agency to fill out his roster with a starter or 2 here and there (Which he has done again this season). But prior to this year, the AJ that was running the team between 2007 and 2011, was not the same guy we saw in 2004-2006(Even o6 was a bad draft)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    You tell players you won't be held hostage, then you stick to that. You can't have different sets of rules for different players. It's not a power play, it's setting an organizational tone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    I don't have any kind of man-crush on A.J., I just get weary of the people bitching about the guy who has presided over the most successful stretch in Chargers history. I have been paying attention since 1975 and I want this team to win a Super Bowl as much as anyone. But I can also remember all the years we didn't even have a prayer of making the playoffs, and I can appreciate that even though we have fallen short, we have had a shot for most of the past decade. I think the people who want A.J. fired are short sighted, because they seem to think anyone else on the planet would be better. If there is a better plan in place, or the Chargers have a line on a guy they think will be better, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't want to see A.J. fired for the sake of firing him, just so all of the headline readers will be happy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    I seem to be the only one here who thinks AJ sucks and Norv rules. take the last two years and name by name go down the roster. Some starters like Hester and Cason wouldn't even make another roster. Team is super thin too and one of the best Special teams coaches in the league was fired because of how thin the team is. No joke, Norv going 8-8 with these guys was incredible

But as I outlined elsewhere, the talent isn't the only thing to judge this guy on. His trade ups were all awful - including Mathews - and as tough as he likes to look, he gets worked in contract negotiations by other teams fuching with him. The Esquire article about Weddle's agent proves no one else was in the bidding when the Chargers called back to offer MORE. When he says yes to Weddle's money he has to say no to someone else and we get stuck with clipboard jesus as back-up. And if trading up on a thin team isn't bad enough, does he have to draft injured players too? Terrible

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +356 / 11 / -6
    I agree 100% with AJ sucks, if Dean had any balls AJ should have been gone!
    We were only a player or two away in 2006, 2007. 2008 and AJ failed to get key players to get us over the top.

I would have been OK with Norv staying and AJ hitting the highway.

Hester a great example of wasted picks :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    Pumpkin Bolt has a job in my cabinet

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    I fear for the country. :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,622 / 29 / -2
    By the way, when you equate a favorable opinion of AJ with a "man-crush" it's impossible to have a rational discussion of the guy and his job as GM.

Oh wait, here we are talking about rational thought again. :roflmao:

14. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    Unless after having said rational discussion with a rational human it's revealed that a favorable opinion IS a man-crush. To be fair, most people turning their bellies or butts up to alpha males do not have a "crush" but are simply trying to survive in the pack and rationalizing their embarrassing capitulation

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,622 / 29 / -2
    But the problem is, more often than not, the "man-crush" is determined to exist simply because the person with the favorable opinion chooses to argue said opinion instead of just saying he disagrees.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    I think it's great! all this made up trash and hearsay about a person no one really knows or has dealt with on either a personal or professional level. Love him or hate him, his paychecks are imprinted with the Charger logo and until that changes you can just keep the diarrhea of your mouth flowing.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    Sorry everyone, it was GQ, not Esquire

Hey Hexed! Here's some diarrhea you can swallow after you're done with AJ's bodily fluids
    http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201107/eric-weddle-free-agent-signing

I removed the non-weddle stuff of his day...the article isn't just about weddle. It's clear that to all other teams, the price was too high when "Ed" called back to offer MORE! What's hard to tell is if "Ed" actually did that twice after the price was too high for the other teams (see the part where he was to fax numbers)

10:22 AM:

Canter receives his first...Weddle e-mail, a request from a Minnesota reporter asking about which teams were interested in his client. Canter confirms that a dozen teams had inquired about Weddle, including the San Diego Chargers.
    1:00 PM-6:00 PM:

Canter speaks to several teams about his clients, including Weddle, but there's...radio silence from McGuire and the Chargers. He has a firm number in mind for Weddle and is sharing that figure with teams. Many of them—San Francisco, Carolina, Minnesota, Philadelphia, and Cleveland included—bow out of the sweepstakes.
    6:15 PM: Canter goes on a Houston radio station to discuss Weddle's availability. Minutes later, he hears from the Houston Texans for the first time. They're now in the hunt, too.
    9:24 PM: The Chargers send their first e-mail in regards to Weddle and Canter's not thrilled with their numbers. He goes back and forth with McGuire for the next several hours.
    Wednesday
    12:14 AM: Canter and Weddle speak at length and decide to narrow the list of suitors down to two teams. The Chargers are...Team A and the other suitor—an AFC rival—is...Team B. The offers are somewhat similar and the two want to sleep on the decision. They inform San Diego and Team B that they're shutting down the communications for the night and they'll pick things up in the morning.
    1:35 AM:

A front office executive from a third AFC team, one that hadn't shown any interest in Weddle up to this point, calls:...We're in the mix. Call us back when you can. We have a...Team C.
    2:00 AM:

Canter calls back the executive from Team C and shares the salary numbers he's discussing with San Diego and Team B. Team C listens to the numbers and confirms that they're...still in the game.
    3:25 AM: Team C's front office executive sends Canter a text message that reads,...We can match the numbers. We're in it to win it. He's going to love playing here!
    3:35 AM: Canter calls Weddle again and they agree that letting San Diego know that there's a third team in play is the right thing to do.
    8:00 AM: Canter emails McGuire the following,...I know you're asleep, but I have a third team that's seriously in play that can change these discussions. I'll need your latest proposal soon.
    8:15 AM: Canter sends a text message to check in with Team C and confirm that they're still hot on his client.
    8:35 AM: Team C responds to the text message with,...Working on these big *** numbers! Hopeful! Don't know if I can make the numbers work. I'll be back to you within the hour. Cool?
    11:05 AM:

Ed McGuire of the Chargers calls Canter with what he says is a good offer; numbers that are significantly higher than the ones discussed on Tuesday night. Canter requests that McGuire writes the numbers out in an email so he can share with Weddle.
    11:24 AM: Canter sends a text to Team C that reads,...Hey, this is getting done in the next hour. Wanted to check in.
    11:37 AM: Canter calls his contact from Team B's cell phone, a number the executive...always, always picks up, and the call goes to voicemail. For as hot as the team was on his client on Tuesday, the sudden silence on Wednesday concerns Canter....They must be out. The numbers could have gotten too high.
    11:45 AM: The executive from Team C responds to Canter's earlier text:...Hey, my bad. We can't go as high as we'll have to. We're out. Canter and Weddle cross Team C—a squad that hours earlier were very real possibilities—off their list.
    12:05 PM: Ed McGuire calls with an updated offer and contract proposal from the Chargers. While on the phone, Canter tells McGuire that he'd been arguing with his wife earlier. McGuire, in a moment of levity, asks Canter to put her on the phone:...I think I'd like dealing with her more. Canter's wife gets on the line and says,...Hi Ed. Eric wants $50 million over 5 years. McGuire laughs and responds,...Put your husband back on the phone, please. After a few more minutes, Canter and the Chargers' longtime front office executive come to a meeting point on the numbers. They're exactly what the agent and his client were looking for. Canter writes the numbers out on a scrap piece of paper and shakes his head in amazement. The final figures are five years, $40 million, with $19 million guaranteed. His client is due $14 million this year, including a $13 million signing bonus. Canter hangs up the phone and falls to knees in tears....I had my entire company and client list stolen from me in 2001, he says....Eric's stood by me every step of the way since I signed him in 2007. This contract—what it does for him and his wife, what it does for my family...it's incredible.
    It sure is incredible, Canter! Thank your lucky stars you were dealing with the "tough guy" GM

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    [quote="_Oz
    12:05 PM: Ed McGuire calls with an updated offer and contract proposal from the Chargers. While on the phone, Canter tells McGuire that he'd been arguing with his wife earlier. McGuire, in a moment of levity, asks Canter to put her on the phone:...I think I'd like dealing with her more. Canter's wife gets on the line and says,...Hi Ed. Eric wants $50 million over 5 years. McGuire laughs and responds,...Put your husband back on the phone, please. After a few more minutes, Canter and the Chargers' longtime front office executive come to a meeting point on the numbers. They're exactly what the agent and his client were looking for. Canter writes the numbers out on a scrap piece of paper and shakes his head in amazement. The final figures are five years, $40 million, with $19 million guaranteed. His client is due $14 million this year, including a $13 million signing bonus. Canter hangs up the phone and falls to knees in tears....I had my entire company and client list stolen from me in 2001, he says....Eric's stood by me every step of the way since I signed him in 2007. This contract—what it does for him and his wife, what it does for my family...it's incredible.
    It sure is incredible, Canter! Thank your lucky stars you were dealing with the "tough guy" GM
    [/quote]

I didn't know AJ's last name was McGuire? By the way, I'm neither am AJ lover nor hater. One way or another something will happen, he either produces a championship or he gets fired. I don't have to deal with the man so it is of no consequence to me.

19. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    So it's Ed's fault then?:roflmao:

You may not love him (respect I think is how you view your relationship?) but you seem to have strong emotions regarding anybody not loving or respecting him. I think the article is lame and most people's problems with AJ poorly reasoned, but that doesn't mean there are not objectively stupid things he has done. Maybe people can point to other GM's this way, but until someone can show me facts, I'll maintain this guy is the biggest clown in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    Just my way of stirring the pot and it works!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    We know next to nothing about Ed. How do we know he isn't the power behind the throne...... pulling AJ's strings? ;)

22. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    Then someone needs to tell Ed to stop drafting injured players!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Two things about the Chargers' organization:

A) I've said this in another thread already, but I'm drunk, so **** it. Smitty is a "top-15" GM. We could do a lot worse. Sadly, "Top-15" talent in this league puts you on the bubble for the playoffs.

B) Whether Smitty is a good GM or not is irrelevant. It's not necessary for him to crack jokes about current/former players as it relates to contract negotiations. GMs are like turn of the 19th century children. They should be seen and not heard.

I like that he sticks to his guns, because that at least makes him predictable. I don't see a reason for him to have these relationships with players/agents which are so absurdly overloaded with animosity.

24. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    The teams who send him intelligence about wanting guys like English, Weddle and Hester like him being predictable too!

25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Weddle is a good player, stop hating. It's wildly inappropriate to put him in the same lot with English and Hester.

26. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -4
    good or not isn't the point....AJ cited the reason he traded three picks for him was because a spy told him another team wanted him. He said the same thing about the other guys I mentioned too (no trades for English but he had to answer a LOT of questions about that pick!). Can't prove it but were I another GM, I'd have pretended to be in the Weddle Sweepstakes too. AJ is the guy no one likes but he gets invited to every poker party

27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Smitty should've just drafted Weddle with our 1st.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4

• Like Like x 1
  29. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +315 / 11 / -6
    Is there a hole in it?

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Ya think Jay is still a little pissed? :roflmao:

"I saw Chargers general manager A.J. Smith at the workout, greeting him with a handshake, best wishes for the coming season and a chance to start fresh. Smith, who said he has moved from Rancho Santa Fe to Del Mar, didn't decline an interview request. Instead, he pointed me toward Bill Johnston, the team's director of public relations, as he makes the decisions, according to Smith, about which media members are granted an audience.
    When asked face-to-face outside the Chargers' locker room why he can't have a conversation with this North County Times scribe, Smith again played the "call Billy" card. We'll give Johnston a ring, with no expectations that this year will be any different regarding Smith's availability to those who don't blindly chug the Chargers' Kool-Aid. ..."

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/footb...cle_acbffcbd-a97b-5676-9049-4ee7d9fe85cf.html