1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

5 Reasons LT should NOT return to the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, May 22, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    1. He won't be able to accept the role of a third down back HERE
    I say this not to suggest that he will become a diva or that he'll throw a temper tantrum. It's more along the line that when a player who had a hall of fame career returns to the location of so much of his past success, that he might not be able to handle becoming merely a role player. How could he walk into the Q where he used to get 20+ carries a game and take the team on his back to will it to victory, and instead of that end up with 3-4 carries a game and a few snaps?
    2. It will create a fan based controversy
    I'm not suggesting that would happen here with us, or the fans at Bolts from the Blue or GTP or other Charger fans that are knowledgable about the team and about LT. This is for the casual fan who will think that LT returning to the team brings back his glory days. Can you imagine how much fun it will be if Mathews has a bad game with fumbles or injuries, how much clamoring there will be to make LT the immediate starter? And how will that influence #1? That's much more a basis again that at LT's age, he can't be the bellcow that he used to be. Not that won't stop the less knowledgable fans from screaming for LT to become the feature back.
    3. It creates a leadership controversy
    When LT was here, LT was the man. He was the heart, the soul, the leader. Around late 2007 the torch was passed (likely it wasn't intentional) from LT to Rivers and it stayed that way in 2008-2009. Now its Rivers as the unquestioned leader, heart and soul of the team with maybe Hardwick as a secondary team leader. Is LT going to handle or tolerate becoming just a veteran team member in a location he used to run? Granted LT has never been, IMHO, a leader in the same way as Rivers is, but I wonder if it wouldn't sting quite a bit to now just be a cog in a place where you used to be the top dog.
    4. Is he willing to help/mentor his replacement?
    The starting RB is the guy the Chargers released LT for - Ryan Mathews was brought in to replace LT shortly after a contenious divorce. Is LT going to be able to mentor or work with his replacement? Can he handle that? Again it's not a solely LT thing - how many of us could tolerate being brought back into an office you used to work so hard in as a role player and mentor for the person who took your job?
    5. Can he handle that the Chargers are a throw first team?
    Even with good WRs and a QB who showed a few flashes of good play, no one could confuse the Jets with the Chargers. The Jets throughout the Rex Ryan era has been a ground pounding team, much in the style of the Ravens that Ryan used to play for. The Chargers are nearly the polar opposite, even with Mathews healthy and running. They throw the ball alot more than the Jets. LT had some experience in that as the transformation from run first to pass first happened under his last two years, but will he tolerate that?

These are my own reasons as to why I think LT shouldn't return. I would like him back to retire, I think it'd be a pleasure to see LT back in lightning bolts, but what I have to keep reminding myself is that the LT of 2012 is not the LT I watched for the past decade. He won't come here and take over games like he did in his prime. I say this not to insult him, love LT and think the world of him. All of these are issues I'd probably have as well if I was in his position. It's my own opinion of the issues, besides his talent, that could torpedo an LT return

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    But he already has the tat!

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 11 / -0
    I can already here the "LT! LT! LT!" chants if Mathews makes any kind of mistake. Ugh... that would totally kill what used to be a fun thing.

I wouldn't be sad if LT had the chance to come back for a year and end things in a Bolts uni but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work out as well as I'd like to hope it would.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    There's also that tiny detail that he doesn't have anything left in the tank. ;)

5. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0
    One of my favorite players of all time but I would never say that he was a "Leader". This IMHO was his weakest area.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +901 / 5 / -0
    We already had a Ronnie Harmon and a Darren Sproles...

7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +864 / 56 / -42
    Still to wordy BLEW ............. a simple "DONE" would have covered it. :p

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    6) He is a whiny little bitch that talked crap after he left.
    Sign him as long as he removes his Jets tattoo and then cut him in camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I don't think there's a need to be nasty towards Tomlinson. He made this team stop being a joke after the Leaf nightmare. He was frustrated at being released, which I think is a normal reaction considering that he gave the team his career, and his best friend, Brees, won the Superbowl the year LT was released, 4 years after being cut by the Chargers.

I think if you aren't a fan of Tomlinson anymore, then that's your business. I don't think it's necesary to deride him, however.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The biggest reason is that he simply isn't very good anymore

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I still believe that the 1 day contract, retire as a Charger is the way to go. Just my 2 cents. I'll let the folks that he supposedly insulted handle the butt-hurt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    That's what I would prefer as well but the noise about bringing LT back is growing louder and louder. I thought we were fine with Hester/Brinkley, I think that's even more so with Baker. But I think LT coming back could be an absolute disaster for the chemistry of the team.

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    Okay, I HATE being agreeable, so let's take a look at the other side:

A) LT smoothed over much of the awkwardness by delivering big time at the Seau tribute.
    B) Anyone who saw him in 2011 knows he still has some burst, especially if limited in snaps.
    C) Even at his age he's still a better pass catcher than Mathews...and fumbles less.
    D) Has been unbelievably healthy (by RB standards)...valuable, since Mathews has been injury-prone
    E) LT seems to realize that he's not a #1 anymore, and may like to finish out here.
    F'n cheap) He should be affordable (more welcome in San Diego than anywhere, and a chance to pad stats)

Now, I was totally on board with the Chargers releasing LT when they did. My biggest issue
    was how much his balance seemed to have deteriorated, and (thus) how little he was accomplishing
    after first contact. But in the Fall of 2010, he looked unbelievably rejuvenated by a change of scenery
    and some fresh Brian Schottenheimer schemes. While he's obviously not the LT of 2006,
    if he came in with the right attitude, he might be able to contribute in (and provide insurance for)
    an offense he already knows, that relies on a talented young guy who--so far--has missed substantial
    carries due to injury (and Tolbert's gone).
    Yes, my first reaction was "That would be crazy!" but on deeper reflection...maybe not so crazy.
    And wouldn't that be a great "feel good" story, if he could finish out here in a productive way?

p.s. And, as a wise man once said: "...he already has the tat!"

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    You had me until you threw out the word Hester. I am OK with going into the season with Matthews, McClain, Brinkley and Baker. IMO, Hester is a waste of a roster spot since he is only good at special teams

15. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +864 / 56 / -42
    Lance, no one loves a feelgood story more than myself and you've compiled some reasonable points above, but the bottom line here and always has been, LT is finished as a capable NFL player worthy of a roster spot on this or any other team.
    Yes he played a "role" for the Jets in his first season there, less than stellar last year though, that "role" doesn't exist in Norf's playbook, so why would we bother ?

It comes down to this in my books.............. do we use a roster spot on someone who offers nothing more than sentimental value or use it towards fielding a legitimate contender ?

I know which one I'd choose in 2012 ......

Sign a 1 day contract and retire a Charger, everyone's happy, a legend goes out the way he should and we get on with the business of winning football games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    Well, Jack, I totally agree about the roster spot (Wait...did I just write that?!?) but the fact that
    I think that it's the very best argument against bringing LT back, is precisely why I omitted it:
    I was saying "here's the other side" of the "don't bring LT back" argument.
    If roster spots are as tight as they've been in recent years...no chance...but if not...

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,614 / 49 / -6
    They could sign Tomlinson like any other free agent at the min. then he would have to earn his spot just like any of the other guys. If he doesn't make the cut, he can then retire as a Bolt and all is done.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I'd just like to see him retire a Charger. I have no hard feelings - what the **** justification does ANYONE outside of teammates possibly have?

'Nuf said from my side.

• Agree Agree x 1