1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

5 Reasons Why The New York Giants Won't Repeat

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    5 Reasons Why The New York Giants Won't Repeat

Samuel Bell Jr
    LINK

The New York Giants shocked the world last season when they defeated the almighty, undefeated New England Patriots 17-14 in Super Bowl XLII.

Don't expect it to happen again.

This season, the New York Giants are facing a myriad of issues that may very well hang over into the 2008 season. As we've come to expect with those pesky Giants, every summer some type of media circus makes a stop in New York.

Last season it was Strahan's absence at mini-camp and his possibility of retirement, Jeremy Shockey's unhappiness and Tom Coughlin's job.

This off-season has been nearly a carbon-copy.

Trade talks and arguments with high-ranking team officials for Jeremy Shockey, not knowing what to expect from Eli Manning and the official retirement of star defensive lineman Michael Strahan.

Although the Giants had many issues throughout last season, they were still able to persevere and shock the world in February.

I have hand-picked five reasons why the New York Giants won't be shocking the world in 2008- at least not the way they would like to.

5. Plaxico Burress Contract Distraction

One of the biggest nightmares for a coaching staff and front office is a big name holdout. The resulting media frenzy and attention is very distracting and can cause all types of problems in the locker room. This off-season Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin and Plaxico Burress are lobbying for extensions on their deals and becoming huge distractions. Who else knew that after Plaxico caught that faithful winning TD against the Patriots that he would ask for a new deal? I saw it coming, and it's taking a toll on an already burdened team. Plaxico had a good but not great year last year, and should honor his contract. He played injured most of the year, and the Giants probably want to see a full year of healthy football from him. Nevertheless, his whining and lack of participation will hurt his team.

4. Michael Strahan's Retirement and Key Losses On Defense

Michael Strahan played his entire career wearing a New York Giants uniform, and it will undoubtedly be a loss without him for the first time in over a decade. The Giants have good defensive linemen still in Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, but they will receive more attention without Strahan. It is yet to be seen how that will affect production from that defensive line, and with the losses of LB Kavika Mitchell and S Gibril Wilson, that line needs to create pressure to help relieve the secondary in coverage. With the Giants being in the highly competitive NFC East with the pass happy Eagles and Tony Romo, they may be in trouble.

3. Dallas Cowboys Emerging As the Beast of the NFC East

New York A (Giants) defeated the Cowboys in the NFC Divisional Playoffs last season 21-17, but it was hardly a sure thing. If it weren't for a couple of dropped passes by Patrick Crayton and Terrell Owens, history may have been rewritten. As it stands, the Giants did defeat the Cowboys, but Dallas should be vastly improved this season. After winning the NFC East last season, the addition of Adam formerly known as Pacman Jones and Zach Thomas should improve a mid-grade defense. With the re-signing of Terrell Owens, Tony Romo and Marion Barber to long term deals, the team chemistry should also be better. If Donovan McNabb and Jason Campbell can stay healthy, the Giants may find themselves at the bottom of the NFC East.

2. Problems At the Halfback Position

Last season Derrick Ward emerged seemingly out of nowhere for the New York Giants after the injury to Brandon Jacobs. This year teams know about Mr. Ward and will be better prepared for him. Injuries plagued the Giants halfback core with Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward missing significant time. Ahmad Bradshaw had a productive season and seems like a solid player, but has ran into recent legal issues and may be suspended by Roger Goodell. If the recent past is any indication of what's to come, the reliability issues of Brandon Jacobs will be an issue again and if Ward can't stay healthy and Bradshaw misses time, it could spell trouble with a capital T for the Giants. (I know the whole capital T thing was cheesy, but we all secretly love Dick Vitale)

1. Which Eli Manning Will We Get?

I can trust in Eli Manning as much as I could trust my maniacal ex-girlfriend. In other words, I can't trust him as far as I could throw him. His inconsistent play has been a ruptured Achilles heel for an otherwise solid team. He can look very good at times, and look like a high-school quarterback in a man's game at other times. His playoff run has made us all forget about his problems during last season, like when he fell apart against the Titans or the Vikings. Well, I haven't forgot and I don't believe that a Vince Lombardi trophy cures all. Now that the Pacman is in his division, he gets to see him twice a season assuming Goodell lets him play. I just can't see Eli becoming a consistent quarterback, and I believe the increased pressure and expectations on him will knock him and the Giants off of their world-shocking pedestal. No repeats here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    im guessin u lik2 #3

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    She-li is a lucky little ***** who rode the Giants' defense to a SB win. That's the only ring he'll ever wear - except for the one that daddy keeps in his nose to lead him around.

4. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    1. Which Eli Manning Will We Get?

I can trust in Eli Manning as much as I could trust my maniacal ex-girlfriend. In other words, I can't trust him as far as I could throw him. His inconsistent play has been a ruptured Achilles heel for an otherwise solid team. He can look very good at times, and look like a high-school quarterback in a man's game at other times. His playoff run has made us all forget about his problems during last season, like when he fell apart against the Titans or the Vikings. Well, I haven't forgot and I don't believe that a Vince Lombardi trophy cures all. Now that the Pacman is in his division, he gets to see him twice a season assuming Goodell lets him play. I just can't see Eli becoming a consistent quarterback, and I believe the increased pressure and expectations on him will knock him and the Giants off of their world-shocking pedestal. No repeats here.

Deb,

Nice article and a good read on what the G'Men are staring at this season. Manning played well enough not to screw-up. His play was real safe. Had it not been for Divine Intervention, the Tyree Catch would have been an INT. There have been huge personnel losses/changes on this team, so repeating a SB win, let alone a division championship is highly unlikely, unless Romo finds some other bimbo.

5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    ...The Giants BARELY made the play-offs, then the defense peaked and frustrated Favre, Romo and even Brady. Sheli did enough not to lose in those three close games. I'm guessing there's enough girlyboy in Sheli to prevent a repeat even without all those other reasons that were stated :icon_rofl:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    3 words why the Giants won't repeat:

San
    Diego
    Chargers

• Like Like x 3
  7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    :abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

8. ThankGodfortheChargers

ThankGodfortheChargers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    :icon_toast::icon_party::icon_toast:
    Yeah party time!

9. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Fixed it 4 ya:icon_wink::thumbup::wave:

:icon_toast::icon_banana:

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

The Chargers are coming to dinner???!!!

:icon_shrug:

:lol:

:icon_rofl:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    SUPPER Chargers? WTF?

12. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    Reason #6. Eli is preggo

[​IMG]

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    :lol: at Junior 2

Strahan will be a big loss on the DL line and in the locker room, but Eli will be the biggest flop.

I would be surprised if they make the playoffs.

15. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    San Diego Supper Time Chargers

lmao

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    I love this but I don't believe the Gnats will even make it to the big party.

They'll be lucky to make the wild card.

17. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171 / 0 / -0
    Prepare yourselves Chargers fans:

We're going to the Superbowl. :lol: :bolt: :yes:

18. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    You know, there is a lot of **** talking for a team that didn't win it last year. I figure we should pick up a ring of our own before talking smack about how a team won't win another one. maybe it's just me...

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    It's just you

:yes:

:lol:

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    They got some luck and backed into that ring. Sometimes things just happen. Like an artillery shell landing a few feet away and not going off or hitting you between the runnin' lights.