1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

909's EARLY 5 round mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Chargerfn909, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    1) Riley Reiff (OT, Iowa) --Big nasty, great feet, and smart. You can't ask for much more than that in an OLmen. He will take over for Clary from day 1 and possibly slide over to LT.

2) Vinny Curry (OLB/DE, Marshall)-- Big, nasty, fast, and physical. This dude has dominated C-USA, and will be a solid pass rusher in the NFL. The ONLY beef people may have with this guy is the competition he has went up against, however being as dominant as he has been, and taking him in the 2nd is a low risk, high reward pick.

3) Kevin Zeitler (OG, Wisconsin)-- Straight up mauler. The Wisc O line is probably better than the Chargers right now. Kevin is MEAN, and would generate some serious competition at the guard spot.

4) Cody Fleener (TE, Stanford)-- This dude averages 20YPC and is probably Lucks favorite/best target. Gates isn't getting any younger and Cody would be a steal right here.

5) Patrick Edwards (WR, Houston)-- Blazer. Not sure he slips down this far, but coming from Houston, another C-USA school it is possible. We finally get a receiver that can take the top off the D, clearing the box for our RB's and really opening up the offense as a whole.

6/7-- beef.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    1 - I think I'd prefer Jonathan Martin because he's much more set to slide into the RT role and is being seen as such whereas Reiff is far more of a left tackle. Also think because of that Reiff will go ahead of Martin who will slide to us. Having said that, can't disagree with the assessment.
    2 - Great pick. Like Curry who is definitely no Larry English
    3 - Another good selection. I'm wondering if Cordy Glenn might fall far enough to think of taking him in the second or third, but the selection is good.
    4 - If we could get him this far down I'd be thrilled.
    5 - Don't know anything about him to be honest

Only thing I'd have a small issue with is no SS, we desperately need one. But beyond that very good draft
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Not familiar with Patrick Edwards, but I do like Brian Quick (App State) & Joe Adams (Arkansas).

Curry's a good-looking prospect.I think we've gotta target more defense again this year. On offense, I'd look at 1 early & 1 late lineman, a speed guy who can catch & return kicks (Eddie Royal, anyone?), & a TE. Can't keep banking on an aging & ailing Gates to recover.
  4. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1

1-Yea, I have just seen Martin get beat by elite pass rushers too much. I think the potential is there without a doubt, but would prefer Reiff.

3- Man, Cordy's feet look stuck in the mud. He couldn't play OT in the NFL, but he could possibly make a pretty good G. Still think I like Kevin better.

5- Think, Jacoby Ford.
  5. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1

Joe Adams is definitely another good one. Not sure how far down he goes though

Also Ant, I think we look into FA for a SS. There aren't many really good SS prospects, and whichever coach/staff we bring could possibly bring a vet SS, or look elsewhere in FA to bring one in.
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I would disagree; for a strong safety/intimidator I think there's three guys I'd pay attention to. Mark Barron, TJ Mcdonald & Winston Guy. Barron is a potential late first early second, McDonald is a second and Guy is a late third/fourth. I think all of these guys are good in run support, decent in a short zone and can lay the wood. I didn't really see anyone I thought would be a good fit in FA but if you have an idea I'd love to hear it.

I'm curious which pass rushers beat Martin badly? I don't recall him competing against too many good ones.
  7. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1

The whole USC d front gave him hell, especially Nick Perry. There were a few other games I watched him struggle as well.

Yea, Barron and TJ are interesting prospects, but at this point I don't think i'd use a high 2nd on a SS when we have gaping wholes in the trenches.
  8. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    Not exactly sure about FA SS's but Tyvon Branch is definitely one name that comes to mind. If you're gonna fork out the money, I say grab a proven player like him rather than chancing a 2-3rd rounder.
  9. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    1. Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama " can we put cason back at nickel, and jammer at safety"
    2. Vinny Curry DE Marshall " if we draft him i want him left at DE
    3.Travis Lewis OLB " Pass rusher, i like him alot"
    4. Emmanuel Acho ILB Texas " good head, quick just like butler"
    5. Rhett Ellison TE South California " good pass catcher, but isnt a gates te"
    6.Terrence Ganaway RB Baylor
    7. Travis Benjamin WR Miami
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    LaRon Landry. Quit screwing around with this "interchangeable" safety BS, move Weddle to FS & get a hitter like Landry.
  11. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1
    No way in hell I take another 1st round CB. I think Wright and Gilchrist are going to be fine, they need time, and more importantly a D coordinator that isn't clueless.

Vinny Curry is 6'3'' 263, about the size of Shaun Phillips, not sure how you see him at LDE unless we are going to a 43?

I don't think Travis Lewis makes it to the 3rd, but not a bad pick if he did.
  12. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1

Yea, if he can stay healthy he's a good choice. Just, nowadays with Goddell all but putting these guys in flags, its sketchy to go for a pure thumper bc it may end up costing you more than helping you
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I'd use him to blitz Goodell with my first call. :p
  14. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    i orginally wanted manti, but if Dre falls to us, we have to take that kind of talent, and i want Curry on the line, cause ive watched alot of tape on him and i just think he would be a beast on the line for us, i dont think he has the quickness for linebacker based on the tape. and if travis lewis falls that far down, hes a hell of an player
  15. Chargerfn909

Ratings Received:
    +34 / 6 / -1

I'd want Luechly first choice (of the ILBs), Hightower second, Burfict third, then Manti.

Luechly is going to be a damn SOLID football player. If Burfict can get his act together and goes to the right team with the right coach he has the highest ceiling..But he's one schit fit away from the state pen with his bad azz temper.

Unless Curry packed on 30+ pounds, I just don't see it.
  16. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    burfict has the physical attribrutes for a linebacker but not the brain, luechly get alot of tackles cause the way bc d flows it to him, manti is the best ILB in the draft, and curry has the hands to beat them off the line, like JAred allen, hes worth a shot on DL
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Curry is not a 3-4 DE. I love the guy's motor but he isn't a 5-tech.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I go Riley Reiff in the 1st.

Good god yet another year where OT is my top choice, ******* rediculous, this is at least the 4th time in the last 6 years. And its finally come around to bite us in the ***.