1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A “Wild” day at Chargers Park

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings Received:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 11, 2009

The Chargers spent a significant portion of their Tuesday afternoon practice working on the Wildcat offense. Norv Turner primarily wanted his defense to see it, but…

Like they did during two Offseason Coaching Sessions, the Chargers spent a big portion of their Tuesday afternoon practice working on the “Wildcat” offense, and like Head Coach Norv Turner said earlier this spring, the practice was mainly for the benefit of the team’s defense.

“We’re using it to help our defense get ready for it,” Turner said. “I’m not as concerned how we handle it offensively. I’m concerned about how we handle it defensively.”

The Chargers open their season against the Raiders, who had running back Darren McFadden taking direct snaps regularly last season. McFadden also anchored the system when he was in college. In Week 3 of the regular season, the Miami Dolphins visit Qualcomm Stadium, and Dolphins quarterbacks coach David Lee used the trickery with McFadden at Arkansas and was the first to pull it out last season in the NFL.

“There are a few teams we could see this year that will throw some of it at us,” defensive tackle Jamal Williams said. “With guys like LT and Legedu (Naanee), we get a real good look at it against our offense. It’ll help us get ready.”

Only one team in the NFL scored more points than the Chargers last season in a year in which they didn’t join the trend of snapping the ball to a running back or receiver. That’s why Turner says he’ll use it sparingly if at all.

“When we go to Wildcat, we put the guy who led the NFL in touchdowns and quarterback rating out there about five yards from me on the sideline,” Turner said. “Antonio Gates goes in and plays tackle. That tells you how excited I am about it.”

At the same time, Turner is open to tinkering with it a little.

“There are some things I like about it,” Turner said. “It does get LT in the open. Legedu played quarterback in college. There’s certainly a place for it if we get good enough to use it. If it helps us get LT in space more at times, we’ll use it.”

Tickets available

Approximately 6,500 tickets remain for Saturday’s preseason opener against the Seahawks. The game must sell out by 7 p.m. Wednesday in order to be shown on local television.

Wednesday Night Lights, Part II

The Chargers will hold their last public training camp practice Wednesday night at Qualcomm Stadium from 7:00-9:20 p.m. The parking lot will open at 5:00 p.m. and stadium gates will open at 6:00 p.m. Parking and admission are free and concession stands will be selling hot dogs for $1.00 each.

Weddle returns

Safety Eric Weddle, who hadn’t practiced since colliding with Quentin Jammer last week, was back on the field Tuesday. Linebacker Stephen Cooper (ankle), defensive end Jacques Cesaire (calf), guard Louis Vasquez (foot), linebacker Darry Beckwith (hamstring), guard Brandyn Dombrowski (hamstring) and defensive end Andre Coleman(foot), defensive tackle Ian Scott (knee) and offensive tackle Marcus McNeill (knee) did not work.

The team held a special teams practice in the morning followed by a shorts and shoulder pads workout in the afternoon.

Stepping up

Weddle’s brief absence allowed third-year pro Paul Oliver to spend a couple days working with the first unit at free safety. When opportunity came his way, Oliver capitalized on it.

“Paul is having an excellent camp,” Turner said. “It’s funny back there in the secondary, sometimes you can go three or four days and not get tested. Then another day you can go and in two periods have eight balls thrown at you.”

Oliver spent most of his first two years on special team but had an interception in the regular-season finale last December against Denver.

Nice work

Wide receiver and special teams ace Kassim Osgood has shined in both capacities during the first two weeks of camp. He’ll have a chance to do so in the preseason as well, although he’s one of many receivers who have stood out during camp.

“I think Kassim has had an outstanding training camp,” Turner said. “He’s doing a good job with the route running and catching the ball. We’ve only got so many balls, so many plays.”

Osgood was the team’s leading special teams tackler last season and has been to two Pro Bowls thanks to his coverage prowess. He’d like to be more involved in the offense, and while Turner believes he has the skills to do so, he also wants to keep him fresh for the kicking game.

“I trust Kassim,” Turner said. “I know he could go in and play, but I’m not going to compromise what he does on special teams. That’s a big contribution to what we do from a field position standpoint and we’ve got some guys who have been around here two or three years who we feel like we haven’t used enough. That complicates it also.”

Big finish

The last play of Tuesday’s practice brought a roar of laughs. Defensive tackle Jamal Williams jumped up and got his hands on a Philip Rivers pass but instead of the ball falling to the ground, it bounced right back in the arms of the quarterback.

Rivers caught the ball and ran outside with the 348-pound nose tackle in hot pursuit. When Rivers hit the corner, Williams lost his feet and tripped, much to the amusement of his teammates.

“He’s going upstairs right now to see if the video guys will take it off so no one ever sees it,” Turner said. “It’ll get some laughs tonight in the meeting.”

Williams says he feels great and certainly looks like he does. In recent years he’s rarely worked in consecutive practices but has only rested sparingly this summer.

“I love what he’s been able to do,” Turner said. “I love his approach to it mentally, I love his approach to it physically. He’s getting ready to have an outstanding year.”
  2. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thasss ma boy! Jamal is gonna be huge (pun intended) this year! Just one more thing to get excited about!

Other teams are gonna get mauled...I mean Jamauled.
    :D
    Later
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    Big man is ready to eat some human beings.

Sweet. :bolt: