1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A chance Steve Smith could become a Bolt

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 6, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,757 / 47 / -26
    There's a chance Steve Smith could end up being a Bolt
    BY KEVIN ACEE
    FRIDAY, MAY 6, 2011 AT 5:27 P.M.

[​IMG]

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith’s oft-cited commitment to the value of character does not rule out the team pursuing wide receiver Steve Smith.

The Carolina Panthers star is reportedly unhappy in Carolina -- even to the point of cleaning out his locker, putting his house on the market and letting it be known that he would like a trade to the Chargers, Oakland Raiders or Baltimore Ravens. The Panther are known to want to part ways with the receiver, who has three times been named an All-Pro but was also suspended two games by Carolina for a training camp altercation with a teammate in 2008.

The Chargers’ interest, according to people with knowledge of the situation, can be characterized as monitoring and wait-and-see. That is comparable to how they went about signing free agent safety Bob Sanders in March, letting other teams woo Sanders before making an offer to a player who wanted to be a Charger.

Teams are not allowed to conduct player business during the ongoing NFL lockout. But the Panthers were known to be shopping Smith prior to the league’s shutdown on March 11.

The Chargers landing Smith could be a product of his wanting to play in a good offense, close to his Lynwood, Calif., birthplace coupled with the team’s need for a top-flight receiver.

Counting third-round pick Vincent Brown, the Chargers have just four wide receivers virtually certain to be under their control once the new league year begins. Vincent Jackson has been designated their franchise player, but there is uncertainty regarding the status of that tag. Buster Davis has one year left on his contract but is not expected to be with the team in 2011. Malcom Floyd is scheduled to be a free agent – though restricted or unrestricted won’t be known until the labor impasse breaks.

Going into 2011 with Seyi Ajirotutu, Brown, Patrick Crayton and Richard Goodman comprising the receiving corps is not the Chargers’ plan.

Smith, 32, has 8,884 receiving yards in his 10-year career, 12th-most in the NFL since 2001. His 52 receiving touchdowns are tied for 14th most.

Smith is owed almost $15 million over the remaining two years on his contract, and it is virtually guaranteed no team is going to trade for him without first reworking his contract.
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    P-U-L-L

T-H-E

T-R-I-G-G-E-R
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    The contract is killer. And the best gauge of the situation that I can gather is that he wants to be here far more than we want him here. That's not to say that there isn't interest on our part - but Smith, originally from Lynwood, seems mostly to be wanting to play close to home.

If Floyd prices himself out of our market and Smith is willing to rework his contract to a more team-friendly figure, then he might be worth a high Day 3 selection. But I have a hard time justifying coughing up a 3rd round pick or higher (and I'm not one that typically overvalues draft picks) for a 32 year old WR who has had injury concerns the past two seasons and has a reputation for being something of a locker-room malcontent when he's not getting his way.
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    A 32 year old WR WILL renegotiate his contract and anyone suggesting it is a "KILLER" does not understand the dynamics of a past 30 WR negotiating an NFL contract.

"Rent a VET" is what it is called.

We need it for outside security.

One year $4 mil. and option for a $6 mil 2nd year.

Hecho en mexico.

Done deal g-r-i-n-g-o.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    The contract is a deal breaker.

Is rather just re-sign VJ
  6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    The contract is the deal breaker?? Really? 7mil per for the next 2 years for a pro bowl WR isnt very bad, especially in an uncapped league

Also, dont forget, he traded for an older mccardell when he had a pretty big contract as well
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    When we made that trade for McCardell it was just LT and a bunch of young guys on rookie deals. You think about the major money we put into guys like Rivers, Gates, McNeill, Dielman, Jammer, Phillips, and Castillo....and the looming deals of Vjack, Weddle, and next year Antonio Garay.

Its become a much more expensive operation, adding an under sized 30+ diva WR with a lot of wear and tear and a big contract doesn't exactly seem like a good business model.
  8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Report: Chargers are monitoring Steve Smith’s status
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT

It’s no secret that Steve Smith wants out of Carolina. Unknown at this point is his next destination.

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Chargers are “monitoring” the situation.

Other possible destinations for Smith include the Raiders and the Ravens.

Per Acee, the Panthers quietly were shopping Smith before the March 11 lockout. If/when the lockout ends, they’ll be able to trade him.

As Acee points out, the fact that Smith’s contract calls for $15 million over the next two seasons means that he’ll have to re-do his deal before any trade can happen.

skins359 says:
    May 6, 2011 10:39 PM

Man VJax and Steve Smith.

ranx777 says:
    May 6, 2011 10:43 PM

I agree that he needs to take less money at this point, but I also believe he is plenty capable of making a lot of big plays in helping putting a team over the top… especially if he is motivated by a winning environment.
  9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Pointy......
  10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +809 / 5 / -0
    I too, am monitoring the situation. Nothing can be done until the owners and players break up this impasse. No pun intended.
  11. cstu

cstu BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to assume that VJax is gone if they get Smith. $7M isn't bad if there no signing bonus tied up - they can either cut him next year or if it works out keep him for $7.7M. I would like to get him cheaper but it's a better value than the $7M they gave Sproles. However, AJ shouldn't give up any more than a 5th for him.
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    I think I may even rather have Floyd return depending on the money.
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I agree with cstu that a 5th (redone contract or no) is all I'd really feel comfortable giving up for him. "Pro Bowl" receiver really doesn't mean a ton these days and I don't mean to completely trivialize the "honor" the players receiver but fan voting has made the Pro Bowl about as non-bias, legitimate a gauge of player quality as American Idol is a gauge of the "most talented singer." Is every person that makes the Idol Top 11 talented? Sure. Does the best singer win? Rarely.

Smith's last good year of production was the 2008 season. Carolina can blame crappy QB's for his decline all they want, but the fact remains we can't be sure it's not also something of a decline on Steve's part. Torry Holt's production dipped in the last couple pre-Bradford years with the Rams which most we chalking up to poor QB play, then Torry went to New England with Tom "Fabio" Brady throwing him the ball and couldn't beat out rookie receivers before he went on IR.

I'd sooner see that $7M a year at least get offered to Jackson first... he'll very likely refuse it because a little voice in his head (be it his or his agent) has him believing he should be getting $10-11M annual, but an effort ought to at least be made. And I'd sooner sink a 5th and pay Smith $5-7M a year than I would Floyd at this point (love M80 but the guy is brittle). In short, if we're going to "rent a vet" I wouldn't do it as a replacement to VJax but rather a compliment to him. Go all in for a championship. Now with AJ in power and Spanos holding the checkbook that's about as much of a pipe dream as any, but that's how "rent a vet" is typically used unless you already have the future stud WR1 on your roster in need of time to season and develop.
  14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Ok I will be the one to say it....

Just what we need another old injury prone WR. This guy will not make a difference unless we lose Floyd or Crayton. That is considering we keep VJ.

Pass.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 2 / -1
    We wanna win sooner rather than later! I say pull the trigger on a proven veteran and let Jackson go.

Smith, Floyd and Brown should give us more than enough firepower on offensive.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Are you saying VJ isn't a proven veteran? Part of the reason Smith wants out is he doesn't want to be the #1 option any more.

Jackson is 28, Smith is 32, I vote we pay Jackson.
  17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    That would be a lateral move.

Keep Jackson and bring Smith in.

If we have to choose for whatever reason I'd take Jackson due to age...and, as already stated, he is a proven vet.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    I wouldn't even be a lateral move, it would be backwards.

We'd be giving up a 28yr old star WR with upside, for a 32yr old former star who is willingly taking a pay cut to move. Not to mention part of the reason Smith wants out (as he stated) is he doesn't want to be the #1 option any more. He's been begging for help for years.
  19. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 1 / -0

Fit right in wouldn't he?
  20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    cough, lets just get jackson and floyd signed long term. We have great recivers now. Lets keep em. If the spano's think they can spend a little more to get smith do it. But lets get what works signed long term first and formost.
  21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    I wouldn't break the bank to get this guy. The Bolt's and Jackoffson really need to have a sit down and talk all this BS out. If Smith really wants to play for the Bolt's let him prove it by putting his money where his mouth is.
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,757 / 47 / -26
    Looking at whether Steve Smith’s contract is a problem
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 9, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT

Cam Newton probably won’t have Steve Smith to throw to.

We’ve been passing along various rumors related to Smith’s future in Carolina and the general thinking now is that Smith will indeed be dealt before the season starts.

Pat Yasinskas of ESPN.com, one of the most plugged-in reporters covering the Panthers, says he expects Smith to be traded soon after the lockout ends. It’s only an opinion, but it’s a well-informed one based on a lot of information.

One issue that Yasinskas raises is whether a new team will have to give Smith a new contract if they acquire him. We’d guess they won’t bother.

Smith is due $14.5 million over the next two years, which is fair compensation for someone with his track record. He shouldn’t need to take a pay cut, but it doesn’t make sense to give Smith “new money” either.

If Smith does land with a new team, they can re-visit his contract after he shows how he fits in with his new squad for a year.
  23. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Steve Smith is my type of WR. I approve!
  24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I have to 100% disagree with Rosenthal. What a guy has done in the past doesn't set the level at which they should get paid in the future, especially at 32 years old. I don't think he is worth more than $4 mil per/yr +incentives
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,757 / 47 / -26
    Which is why he'll never become a GM. ;)

You pay a guy based on what you think he can do for you, not for what he has done for someone else.
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Exactly
  27. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Blue Bolt rocks, wonder who he is TBH.
  28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    AJ will go to Smith and put it straightforward, restructure your deal or we won't waste the time to trade for you. Smith might be willing to do that to go home and play for a winner. If he doesn't then we don't need him and he can get overpaid by the Raiders or whomever.

He'd be a very useful player to have without question but not so useful or special that we'd have to overpay him
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Correctamundo! Though I suppose Rosenthal was also conveniently ignoring - for sake of his argument - the fact that among Smith's track record is that his production (for whatever reason) dipped significantly over the past two seasons. In this "What have you done for me lately league" this would be grounds in most front offices to bring restructuring talks to the table. I'd even venture if he were to stay in Carolina it might have been something that cross their mind except for the fact that save for their newly minted #1 overall QB they lack other truly marketable stars on their team, thus they couldn't afford to rub him the wrong way if he actually wanted to stay. And I don't mean to dismiss them having no talent, just not necessarily "marketable" talent where the next closest player after Smith and Newton is probably Jon Beason. They have good linemen, but the only linemen that are ever guys your marketing department can get behind are sack-happy DL... and Peppers is now a Bear.
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,757 / 47 / -26
    From Kevin Acee's Mailbag........