1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A chance Steve Smith could become a Bolt

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 6, 2011.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    So then let me ask you this, what part would you put his lack of production to the fact that the Panthers' QB situation in those two years fell off a cliff?
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Or the fact that you can't name a WR or TE who starts across from him?

The guy is the #1 passing option in that offense, he's got a bad QB, no help at all, and he's double teamed on every play. I'd want out too.
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    My point isn't that it's a crappy situation and may very, very well be the contributing factor to his declined production, it's that regardless of the reason the hard numbers are there and can be cited... and it's not like it's just one year. It's leverage all the same and two years of declining production is grounds on most teams to push for restructuring on the wrong side of 30.

I'm not contending that Steve Smith wouldn't be a valuable contributor to this team for the right price and in the right situation. I am arguing that it would be foolish to take him at his current owed salary or to pay him at what his 2008 production was (1500 yards and double-digit TD's) when he hasn't produced that in 2 seasons.

Also, Acee seems to love to contradict himself. He says in one article that Smith would come at a significantly reduced salary from what he is scheduled to make ($7.5m) in one artice and says in another that he'd likely be inked to a contract that pays him $5m per year. I suppose a 30% reduction is somewhat significant, but I hear "significant reduction," especially in a recessionary economy and my mind says 45-50% pay-cut.
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I guess there is a reason I am not a GM because I wouldn't give him more than $3.5-4mil plus some incentives
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Oh I happen to agree, it's way too much money for an aging receiver but maybe I wasn't clear with my question. When restructuring his salary do you assume some of his production was lost because of atrocious QB play? If so how much do you think?
  6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 2 / -1
    Your assuming that Jackson wants to be here when the CBA is worked out. I'm telling ya...as soon as he can sort it...HES GONE!!
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    I'll take that bet.
  8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Eh. I would rather he comes here vs get his other requested suitors hooked in the Ravens and Raiduhs. Deffinatly MUST be for cheap, as I am still not that happy VJ is still a Charger. Kicking flags in games would be one thing, if it wasnt a fkin postseason game. Im as merciless to this dumass shenanigan as I still am with Marlon McMees Highlight reel effort. He got on the highlight reel all right. Oyea and hes a drunkard that cant figure out the *well CBA and LOCOUTfree* NFL provided free ride home program phone #. Which wtf should be on a speed dial for some of these wino's. Not like we wont find out like this that your a lush just like the rest of us. Cmon dont be a Ricky. Keep your shyt strait for the length of your NFL career, then go get whacked out on Ron.

EH.

EDIT: if you didnt know Ron aka Heroin. Not saying anyone is or should do drugs, just making usual wild analogy-cusations.
  9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Imagine Rivers, Gates, Mathews, Tolbert, Jackson, Crayton and Smith along with Floyd. Dayum!
  10. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 1 / -0
    I dunno bro, the last thing most people would do when they are ********* and have a Maserati in the parking lot is the responsible thing and follow the procedure to the a lift via the nfl program.
  11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Well as far as we have heard/you all seen our party boys in action. There ought to be some carpooling goin on. And yea 4+ wont fit in a Ferrari. AND Phils minivan is deffinatly closed to business before 9 pm.
  12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    He may or may not have much of a choice in the matter.

And he'd be mighty foolish to leave that tag on the table. Especially after how much he cost himself last year.
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    How many times does he have to say that he wants to be here, for you to actually believe him? If he is gone, it isn't because he doesn't want to be here. It is because he is am immature moron and the team wanted him gone
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Let's recap here. Vincent Jackson left 3 million on the table last year and came out with ~400K instead and looking like a child not getting his way while still not playing for anybody else.

Now he's being offered around 10 mil in the form of a franchise tag (I don't know the exact number of the franchise tag, but it's close to that I believe). You seriously think he's going to leave that on the table so he can try and take another chance that he gets traded so he can sign a long-term deal with someone else?

If Jackson isn't a Charger in 2011 it's because they strike a new CBA that says any franchise tags applied are null and Jackson becomes a free agent and subsequently gets a better offer from someone else than whatever AJ offers him.
  15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Better check the injury report. ;)
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Five trades that need to happen when lockout ends

By Clark Judge
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer
    May 9, 2011
    Steve Smith to San Diego: In case you missed it, the Chargers were so beaten up last season they wheeled out 74 players, tying a league record. No position was affected more than wide receiver, where there were nine with at least one catch and none with more than 37, and where there was not enough Vincent Jackson. The team's star pass catcher, Jackson sat out most of the season in a contract dispute. Now he's the team's franchise player, which means he's back for at least one season. But then what? Malcom Floyd is a potential free agent. So is Legedu Naanee. Buster Davis can't stay healthy. I think you get the idea.

The Bolts need a reliable target for Philip Rivers, and that's where Smith comes in. He languished the past two seasons in Carolina while the Panthers held auditions at quarterback. Smith didn't like it, and you can't blame him. Once one of the game's most feared receivers, Smith watched his numbers plummet. His catches were down. His yards were down. Heck, he was down, and you would be, too, if you produced two TDs. Smith wants out, putting his house on the market, and San Diego should pay attention. Smith is a difference maker, and he grew up in Los Angeles -- so the guy would be going home. San Diego needs a threat opposite Jackson, and I'm not talking about Antonio Gates. I mean another wide receiver. Their leading pass catcher last season was a running back. Their second leading receiver was Gates, and he missed six games. Adding Smith to a lineup that already includes Jackson and Patrick Crayton could change all that.
  17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    PASHAH! Injuries are only excuses, they dont impact anything!
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    I'm not sure Davis counts as "injured" ;)
  19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Tushy! I mean two shay! Awe what evah!
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    They are only an excuse when they are used year after year after year. Eventually, someone needs to look in the mirror and figure out why we have so many injuries so they can't be used as an excuse every year
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Good to see Judge is keeping up with his own industry

Steve Smith of Carolina Panthers clears air on trade rumors - ESPN
  22. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
  23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    It's the usual progression of a sports star who wants out

- Sports star wants out, rumors begin to fly that he wants out

- Sports sites and channels begin reporting that sports star wants to be traded

- Rumors gain steam to the point that it becomes common knowledge

- Sports star in question suddenly publicly refutes that he ever made such a demand.

I'm not saying I do or don't believe either party here, though. I'm just saying I've seen this dance a million times.
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    How about he actually says it once? You're puffing out this argument like it's something he's been beating over our heads, but I can't recall a single time he's ever said "I don't want to be a Charger anymore," or anything to that capacity. All he's said is "Pay me." His agent has say "Pay him or trade him to someone that will." That sounds like someone who wants his due-and-proper payday wherever he can get it, not someone who "doesn't want to be here."
  25. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    I believe, it's called the free agent two-step. ;)
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I was talking more about the "Selling his house to get out of Carolina" when he very clearly says he plans to buy another house in Carolina. Of course that could change if he is traded/released. Just pointing out that just because he is selling his house, it doesn't mean he is doing so in preparation of moving
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    San Diego Chargers' Vincent Jackson says he'll 'absolutely' sit out entire season - ESPN

"We've been trying to figure that out," Jackson said. "... We're not being granted permission to speak to other teams and we're not even sure if they want to trade me. I would love to stay in San Diego. That's where I've been and I have a good relationship with the guys that are there. I miss being around my teammates, but again I understand the beast of the business. We're just controlling everything we can right now."

Does that do it for you? He has said he wants to stay here. That doesn't mean he is going to work for league min or at a discount, but also doesn't mean that he wants out
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Jackson is loyal to money.

End of story.

Next topic.
  29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    He may be an idiot when it comes to driving while intoxicated, but he's not a complete moron. He knows that being paired with Rivers has allowed him to shine. I don't think that his ego is so big that he truly believes that he'll have the same success wherever he goes. The bottom line is..... he wants to be paid like one of the top 5 WRs, period.

The real question is whether the Chargers believe in paying any WR that kind of money, when they've seen Rivers be successful with much less. I don't think they will put that much money into the position. Personally, I think that is a bit silly, when they squandered quite a bit of cash in franchising Sproles, when they could've just signed him to a long term deal years ago.
  30. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0

Nice. Pay him. Win a freakin' Superbowl! (hopefully) isn't it about our time?