1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A defense of our ILBs.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Sep 10, 2008.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I honestly don't think that our ILB's are that bad. Remember, these same guys played really well last year.

I'm not saying that they played great this weekend , but I think that they are better than what they looked like Sunday.

The biggest culprit was, in my opinion, the defensive line. Castillo didn't play well until the second half. Additionally, Jamal didn't play much until the second half. The first half is when we couldn't get them off the field and were giving up lots of yardage on the ground.

The second half, Castillo picked up his game and Jamal played more.

The results?

In the first half, Carolina's drives ended in Punt, Downs, FG, FG, FG. They held the ball for 19:41, and ran for 112 yards. Delhomme threw for 169 yards.

In the second half, Carolina's drives ended in Punt, Punt, FG resulting from a rare Scifres bad kick, Fumble, TD. They held the ball for just 12:21, they ran for just 30 yards, and Delhomme passed for just 77 yards, 68 of which came on the last drive.

Clearly we got better the second half. The defense got them off the field and shut down their offense except for the last drive. The difference was Jamal played more, and Luis played better. That helped out our ILB's immensely, who didn't immediately have 3 or 4 offensive linemen in their face every play.

Poor defensive line play will make your ILBs look bad every day of the week. I think that poor play in the first half was a result of not playing much in the pre-season, and thus not being used to game speed. You'll notice that in the second half when Jamal was playing, he looked like the old Jamal, getting pressure up the middle and commanding double teams. Luis got some good pressure and would have sacked Delhomme on the last play if he hadn't been tackled by an offensive lineman.

Hopefully, our d-line guys will have gotten the rust out and will play up to par now. That will help our LBs a lot.

2. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    BTW speaking of the last drive. Anyone notice that Castillo was getting molested out there and there was one more Charger player being held?

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes...one needs to only watch NFL Replay to see how much the defense and offense improved after the half. The real problem was their offensive line. They held up Merriman really well, took Castillo out of the game, pushed Olshansky over quickly, and kept Williams backed up. The minute a linebacker could've come into play they were there to block him too. Carolina's offense played very well and coupled with poor play from the defensive front that proved disastrous. San Diego is better than that; I'm sure of it. Denver will probably find out too. Plus exciting offensive playmaker who really came in handy in the second half - Mike Tolbert...

4. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    Yes. Castillo was inches from making that play. Again, I credit the Panthers' offensive line. They held Merriman a few times but I think it was too close to call for the officiating crew. But pause it just right and those guys had handfuls of jersey more than once.

5. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0

Castillo on that last pass was being more than held. I noticed holding isn't usually called in favor of the Chargers. The Viking game they called it a bunch of times, finally. The Viking O-line usually gets away with holding.

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    I agree that their o-line deserves most the credit for that win.

Which makes me very nervous 'cause they had multiple backups in there. :tdown: :unsure:

7. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    I know I was screaming at the TV when I saw Castillo getting raped out there on the last play could not believe it wasnt called it was pretty blatant

8. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    I agree, however, I think some of the defensive play calling was too conservative. Our defensive players are more adept at attacking and blitzing. I don't think we did that enough.

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Yes. I've seen this game on my computer a second time, and I absolutely agree with you. We made a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes that cost us. The muffed punt, the shanked punt, and the Gates fumble specifically. Without those, we have the usual dominating Chargers second half. Reduce the mistakes, and get off the bus with the tackling dummies, and I think that we'll be fine.

10. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    When Wilhelm tries to tackle he dives and misses. Why would you dive to try get a speed backs legs? He does it in dramatic fashion too like "i know i'm going to miss this tackle but so is the dude behind me (smith) so i won't look like i F'ed up the play, let me dive and through myself on the ground"

What this team needs is a hard hitter. I hated mcree's coverage that goes for florence too but they hit hard, they really did. I wish we could get a player like bart scott or brian dawkins. Just to scare them. they wouldn't run as much, i garuntee it.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Jamal was not in game shape and Merriman finally realized he wasn't going to cut it. Jamal should come around unless his knees are done to more of turn than the deceptive Chargers management is letting on and Tucker is likely to prove to be a handful. I appears to me that Jamal's conditioning and Merriman's ego were our biggest problems.

12. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    How about John Lynch? He's still somewhat available and he can tackle a guy then throw his helmet ten yards like he did to LT and whine about how he isn't an every down kinda guy. Lynch might make a good linebacker.