1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A fine line between MVP and goat

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Savage Lizard, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    On the last drive, I stated that ECry was way overdue to throw a crucial pick. So a few plays later, he throws a duck right at Assante Samuel, which clangs of Samuel's hands. Fairly easy pick, and Samuel dropped it.

If Samuel makes that play, Pats win, ECry is a choker. Instead, he gets handed the MVP which rightly belonged to the defense.

I said going in, if the Giants win, and ECry has a pulse, they will give him the MVP, and guess what happened. He played well, but ANYONE with any brains knows that the Giants defense won that game. They held the mighty Pats to 14 POINTS! It was ridiculous to give the MVP to ECry.

But of course, they gave the MVP to Peyton last year, and he had a pretty average game. Last year's co-MVPs should have been Addai and Rhodes, but that doesn't fit with the NFL's glorification of the Manning family.

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -0
    While I agree that the NFL sucks up to the Mannings way too much, and that Eli did not deserve the MVP yesterday (Tuck should have gotten it), you have to give the bastard some credit. He did lead his team past Romo's Cowboys, Favre's Packers and Brady's Pats. It was a great run for him but I still think that he is still the next Trent Dilfer.

3. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    Exactly. He didn't screw his team in those games while his defense won it for them. But he will continue to get too much credit for the wins, as he is a Manning.

I am completely convinced that if somehow that were the Chargers in that game (yeah, I know they couldn't play the Pats), and everything went down exactly the same way, there is no way they would have given the MVP to Rivers.

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. Credit where credit is due.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

:tup::tup::tup:

CRO MAKES THAT CATCH!!!!

:yes::yes:

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    I agree that the DL should have gotten the MVP as they shutdown the Pats O all game long.

ShEli got it based on his 4th Q performance. Period. He made some plays and got 1 amazing catch from his WR. (1 handed helmet catch).
    Winning TD drive. Manning. His brother won it last year.

Stay way from sports TV for a while. It's going to be Bros Manning and the hanger-on they call daddy 24/7. :puke:

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    David Tyree's great catch was the difference between Eli being a goat or voted SB MVP.

• Like Like x 1
  8. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Geez,

You guys are going to run with this forever, aren't you.

I agree with you guys in the fact that I thought Eli Manning was a little *itch for what he and Archie pulled on draft day.

However, we may just have to give the old man and his big brother credit for what was "behind the scenes". Since then, we have learned that A.J. Smith and Marty were completely disfunctional. If you don't think that was a huge factor in this, you're deaf or dumb. Maybe you could be mad at the Manning's for being so connected in NFL circles, but then put yourself in Archie's shoes. If I knew that the front office of a team about to draft my bluechip 21 year old son was a walking episode of Days of Our Lives, I would try my best to broker a deal. That's all the man did.

And to me, both teams won in the deal. Just be happy with what you have. You have a great team, just don't be a fan that hates others more than you love your own.

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +417 / 7 / -1
    Can they in theory give the 'MVP' award to 'the D line'?. That's the problem, I reckon they have to name players, rarely 2 get it but can't imagine them naming 4-7 guys which is what they shoulda done last nite.

Even though I hate to say it, ShEli escaping their clutches on that Tyree play looked very like what Vince Young did to, the Giants. Karma is a beautiful thing, ask Ellis Hobbs. :tup:

10. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
    Geesh... let the hate go... The D played impressive, there is no award for a D-line... Eli sucked it up, and got the job done... Why are you guys still hating so much... we got the guy we wanted, Rivers, with Merriman, and Kaeding... If Rivers did that drive, all the SD homers would be coming out saying how he deserved the MVP, and it was awesome, he was great! etc...

Fouts

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,557 / 7 / -2
    I was @ Disneyland yesterday (looking around I wasn't the only Chargers fan that idn't give a **** about the game, lol) so I didn't see the game, but Ant was texting me updated and telling me Eli was basically playing like *** and the D was dominating the Pats O Line.

Eli is nothing more than Trent Dilfer at this point. The Giants D gave the Pats O fits and it showed on the scoreboard and in the stat books.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Why not? It's our Board! The CHARGERS board. We can say whatever we want! :yes:

13. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262 / 5 / -2
    Some good points. I agree that we should let go of the hate of the Mannings.

On the other hand, the evaluation of the draft day move is always going to be there... Giants fans will be in our face about it, the media slobbers all over it... so the discussion of the trade will continue regardless.

PS - I still see it as a lop-sided trade in our favor. How could it be viewed as a win-win? Would YOU trade Rivers, Merriman and Keading for Manning, even today?

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    If you get a chance to watch the game, you'll see that up until that final drive, Eli was barely more than 50% with just 180 yards or so passing, 1 TD, 1 INT.

Hardly SB MVP numbers. But, they tend to like to give it to an offensive person on the winning team, so he stands out, especially after that double Houdini play where Eli escaped the grasp of several Patriots and his WR David Tyree made an acrobatic catch.

15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0

don't forget the pick we traded for Roman Oben too

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Then you would be every bit as much an arrogant prick with a sense of entitlement as Archie.

You're not bigger than the game. Period.

The Mannings are NFL royalty and, yeah, some of us find the mindless player-worshiping offensive... especially the fawning praise of players who believe its their god-given right to be worshiped.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    HOLY CRAP!!!!! HE GOT MVP?!!!!! :puke: :puke:

I'm glad as Hell I turned off the TV when I did!!! I'm staying far, far away from ESPN or any other national sports media for a long, long time!!!! All their broadcasters will be painted white by the Manning family until another team wins back to back Super Bowls!!!

CHARGERS HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SAVE US ALL!!!
    NOT JUST US CHARGERS FANS BUT ALL NFL FANS!!! :yes: :bolt:

18. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I was actually thinking of taking my kids that day. How was the crowd?

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Right on, TS! :tup:

I don't give a flying crap what was going on behind the scenes between Marty & AJ. No one is bigger than the game. Did we get the better end of the deal? I believe so, but that doesn't change the fact that Archie & his little ***** pissed on ther Chargers & San Diego.

He got his ring - good for him. But he still permanently resides under the definition of ***** in my book, along with Elway. :icon_evil:

20. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942 / 0 / -0
  21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    My hate for Eli pales in comparison to my disdain for the Patriots' arrogance.

22. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    A-MEN!

I dislike ECry for the same reason I have always disliked John Elway. When you are a young punk out of college, and you start trying to dictate to NFL teams how they should proceed, and where you don't want to play, that is telling people that you think you are special, above the same system that hundreds of other players abide by whithout whining about it.

The fact that he did it to my team makes it just a little bit worse, but it's the underlying "I'm special" attitude that really pisses me off as a football fan.

23. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    From the same article:

I think Roger Goodell got off a good line this morning at the MVP press conference. "We're grateful to Archie and Olivia and hope they'll have at least one more child," he said. Probably not going to happen.

Just shows how deeply the Manning's collective nutsack is buried in the NFL's mouth.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    You said it, SL! Elway was, is, and always will be a punk IMO, regardless of his success as a professional QB. He & She-li, or more likely Archie, displayed the epitome of arrogance.

Phuc 'em both! :yes:

25. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    I heard that comment live on the NFL Network and almost spewed my coffee.