1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A.J. Smith calls bluffs of Marcus McNeill, Vincent Jackson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jun 10, 2010.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    Calm down, Nancy.

I realize these options are there so you can use them at your disposal.

That doesn't negate the fact that using them does not strengthen your argument anymore than your feigned excitement about Tra Thomas and Josh Reed does.

2. S.D.Love

S.D.Love New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So sue me if I'm upset that one of my favorite players isn't going play at the beginning of the season. I'm pissed off about the situation, it sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    I'm not pleased anymore than you are, but that doesn't mean I think AJ should just give in to their demands no matter what they are.

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    None of us fans are happy about it, but it's still a business. :yes:

Would you work for less than your peers? :icon_shrug:

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    If I was being offered 3 million I wouldn't care if my peer was being paid 25 million.

I especially wouldn't care if turning the 3 million down meant I'd only be paid 600K.

(The fact that this is a discussion where I can type "only 600K" makes me laugh.)

That's the problem with our society. We spend too much time worrying about what other people's situations are instead of focusing on our own lives.

Joe Blow down the street's salary doesn't make 3 million worth less than 3 million.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    And, really, this is a horrible business decision for these two.

Even if they feel snubbed by the team and have their minds made up to leave they should take the money and play through the season and still become UFAs at the end of the year.

They're pointlessly costing themselves money with this move.

Had they signed they would have gotten a lot more to play this year and still be in position to get paid next year.

7. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    If your boss told you that your pay was being cut in half while your peer was getting a raise, would you continue to work there? :icon_shrug:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,557 / 7 / -2
    FUC. KING. NOOBS.

FCUK OFF AND DIE SD LOVE, I seriously doubt you're even a chargers fan you ****ing troll.

Now, be a good little boy and go take a seat over in the corner and stfu while the adults talk.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    If my boss told me my pay would be cut in half if I refused to come to work you bet your *** I'd continue to come to work.

Of course, if I told my boss that I'm refusing to come to work until I get a raise my pay would be cut by more than just half...

• Like Like x 1
  10. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    You didn't answer my question.

11. S.D.Love

S.D.Love New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    :bow:

:tup::icon_banana:OKAY!:icon_banana::tup:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    You'll be waiting a long time for that, little fella. :yes:

13. S.D.Love

S.D.Love New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Jim Trotter weighs in on the subject in this interview:

http://www.xxsportsradio.com/common/global_audio/40/19428.mp3

Puts it all in perspective rather nicely. The players aren't the only ones who are greedy. Pay special attention to the part where they discuss how much money the players make being public as opposed to how much money the owners make being undisclosed.

14. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80 / 1 / -0
    Sorry guys. I have to agree with Mr love. When he says the Chargers are cheap he should say that Mr Spanos is Frugal! I still cant get over how greedy this bastard is. Just think about what happened with the original stadium rebuild. It all fell to shi1 because Alex wanted ownership and realestate revenue of all the condos and market places that they were going to build along the river bed. Seriously? His though was probably "without my football team all of that wouldn't exist". I have been a Charger fan for over 30 years. I dont care for Alex Spanos. This family has plenty of money but no balls to put it up for a championship team. All the years of raking it in ( nothing wrong with that by the way) but take a shot for crying out loud. Baseballs a bad comparison but steinbrener would break even for anither ring. On a side note, what makes you guys think they will keep Gates around? Who knows if any star player is safe on the team with this organization.

Oh, and P.S. I like the caps and underlining. It makes for interesting reading knowing that someone is shouting. Hollywood Leo just likes to debate anything. He was most likely on the debate team.:lol:

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    Gates already had one long-term deal with the Chargers. Rivers just signed a long-term deal. LT was the highest paid RB in the NFL for a while.

But yeah let's blame the rich owner. :icon_shrug: :tdown:

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    I wasn't sure what the point of your question was considering it did not reflect the actual situation we're discussing.

Neither Vincent Jackson nor Marcus McNeil are having their pay cut.

In fact, they would both receive a 110% raise if they signed their tenders today.

Even if you look at it from the perspective of what they could have been paid had they signed them two days ago as compared to what the offers (re: not their pay) were dropped to, they were only being cut in half because they were refusing to come to work. (Which requires signing the tenders first)

In the real situation the offers (re: not pay) are being cut in half because the players are refusing to work. This is different from the scenario you presented where my boss arbitrarily cuts my pay in half and I decide whether or not to continue to work there.

So, I'm forced to wonder why the question is even pertinent to the actual discussion at hand.

edit: Since you're no doubt going to respond by stating the obvious (that I still didn't answer the question) I'll point out that, considering your scenario does not reflect the actual situation at hand, you may as well be asking me if I'd eat a pizza if it came with anchovies on it.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    Shouting doesn't accomplish anything in a discussion. The fact that excessive use of caps+bold+larger text makes it seem someone is shouting is the exact reason why it does nothing for the actual argument.

I was never on the debate team but I do prefer debate on sports boards over inane pissing and moaning.

If that's a bad thing then so what?

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    At the risk of creating an echo, Gates has already been paid once so what makes you think they won't pay him again?

LT was the highest paid RB in the game for some time.

Rivers was just made a rich man.

The Chargers don't mind paying their players. AJ Smith just doesn't like to give in to strong arm tactics.

Agree or disagree with AJ's tactics, this is not about saving money for the owners.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    That's not entirely true, Leo, & I think that you know that. Perhaps spending carelessly would be a better term.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    Just because the owners save money in the process doesn't mean that's the explicit intent for not giving in to their demands.

It's just a side effect of the action. (one that I'm sure they're not pissed about, though, to be fair)

But you are right, nevertheless. It's basically not about spending their money carelessly and I don't think that's really a bad thing.

edit: And that's different from suggesting they're just not spending the money because they're cheap and don't care about winning.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

:lol::lol::lol:

See above quote

:lol:

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Nor do I. I don't fault the owners for playing by the rules that the NFLPA allowed nor do I fault the players for seeking to show their dissent. I do feel that these guys are getting some bad advice as they're not in a position of anything even remotely resembling solidarity.

The NFLPA, to date, is a joke. Perhaps that will change - I hope that it does. But for now, it's the owners' bi.tch. These guys are on their own & must make a decision that they feel that they can live with, personally, professionally, & financially.

To take it personally like some fans are doing is pretty infantile, IMO.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,590 / 29 / -1
    I don't really take it personally. Vincent Jackson could accept a league minimum contract and it wouldn't make me any richer so why should I care about his paycheck?

I just think it's stupid to squabble over millions of dollars, but that's just my opinion.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I don't think that you do. You normally keep your discussions reasonable & detached, which I respect.

Their stance does seem to be pretty foolish in light of the fact that they're out on this limb basically alone. If all 200+ RFA's were united, then I could see it, but not in this piece-meal manner.

IMO, it's more about getting long-term security & money up-front than it is about this one year. And that, thanks to the uncertainty of a future CBA, is the crux of the biscuit.

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    Well that leaves it up to me to call you and noob and demand you go away and let the people whom consider themselves adults talk... After all this is a public forum... :lol:

That is if I gave a darn... :icon_tease:

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Ya big bully :icon_banana:

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The point is, those guys also refused to sign contracts for under what they perceived as market value. They aren't considered "me guys", so why are VJ and McNeil? If AJ was willing to have contract discussions with them, they probably would have signed their tender just like Dumervil did in Denver. Had they not been willing to talk to him, he would have refused to sign as well. Being willing to at least talk goes a long way, and he was willing to talk to Rivers and Gates which is why they didn't stay out.

I am not trying to demonize AJ, just point out that his unwillingness to at least sit down and discuss a contract, is a part of the reason these guys will probably not be Chargers come opening day. The other part is them, just like 13 other players, not willing to play on a 1 year contract

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    If his focus was on the team, he would be thinking about more than this year. Not having McNeil after the 2010 season will really hurt this team. I am not saying they need to just give him what ever he wants, but at least be willing to sit down and negotiate rather than trying to pad Spanos's pocket by cutting th payroll drastically

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    There are 13 players who refused to sign their tenders, and they are all the bigest named players who are on teams who have stated they are not willing to negotiate long term contracts. Elvis Dumervil signed because he is actively in discussions, something McNeil and VJ aren't

30. S.D.Love

S.D.Love New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: