1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A.J. SMITH - HEARS THE FANS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Oct 2, 2007.

1. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings Received:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    Oberman is a legal moron.
  2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 22 / -1
    I wouldn't be surprised if A.J. thought Norv wasn't necessarily the best available coach, just that he was the best available in terms of maintaining continuity. He knew the team was close (or so it appeared) and he didn't want to bring in a guy to start from scratch. If he has the same group of candidates and a team that just finished at 4-12, perhaps he hires a different guy. People have to take into account the circumstances.
  3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings Received:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    AJ pretty much said, well actually, "intimated", this himself.

He said Norv was brought in mainly for continuity.

When asked if Norv would have been hired had Marty been gone right from the get go, AJ replied "That's a different thing."

So, you can read that to mean that Norv wasn't necessarily AJ's first choice. Maybe he was looking at Wade or someone else that ended up taking another HC job before AJ could do anything about it.
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6

We needed someone at the helm that knew the system we are running and I agree with what you are saying. Norv fit the bill on such short notice.

Hire a new HC with a different system and were still in the same spot. I don't know how many Coryell disciples are still out there but I'm sure that list is short. As far as defense there are some better coaches for the 34 D but again AJ was up against it with the draft approaching and all.
  5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 22 / -1
    People must also remember that Dean and A.J.'s FIRST choice was Marty. He was NOT fired after the playoff loss, and Dean wanted to give him one more chance, not start from scratch.

It was only AFTER Marty decided that he didn't want to be here and set himself up as a martyr, that Dean fired Marty, and then was forced to find another coach on short notice who could keep things going in the same direction.
  6. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    From what we've seen thus far, WP seems to be a good fit in Dallas. If he hangs around for 4-5 years (I realize that's a big if), what's Garrett going to do....wait? No way. As we've seen in the past, the NFL is very cannabalistic. Garrett could be a HC within a couple of years.
  7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Even if Norv wasn't AJ's first choice, AJ's required push of Ted Cotrell on any head coach candidate, left Norv as the only option. It's ludicrous for any GM to tell a head coach who he should hire for his staff.
  8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    I can buy Pascale, but the other guys need their nap time too much at this point.
  9. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    i guess Marty was right in NOT wanting Ted as his DC
  10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    A.J has too many "atta boys" to let one "ahh-****" tank his Chargers career the way I see it.

The biggest blunder in Chargers history belongs to Bobby Beathard's drafting of one who will go nameless because - well just because it was the biggest blunder in Chargers history.

If A.J. lops off some heads off at the BYE and we have lost to both the Raiders and the Broncos, I suspect this act of contrition to save the season and jump start next year would not satisfy posters such as yourself. Really.
  11. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 1 / -0
    Norv's won/loss record...holy krap... that's pretty freaking poor. With those stats he should team up with Matt Millen.

Interesting stat: we haven't won back-to-back years at Denver in nearly thirty years. Holy krap!
  12. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +945 / 2 / -2
    Tony, I have said this elsewhere - AJ and Dean supposedly now have a Head Coach with which they have far more open communication. I am hoping that both of them are asking Noval how he is going to shuffle the depth chart to fill a couple of repeated "performance gaps" and shake things up - showing he is willing to act when somebody screws up.

If he doesn't have the cojones to do it - goes into Denver with the same starting lineup and suffers even one repeated mistake - they will have the answer they need which will dictate their next step. JMHO
  13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    I hope they are explicitly telling Norval and Teddy to GET THE DAMN THING FIXED NOW!!!
  14. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yeap, I'm one of them...I want to see two winning performances in a row. I want to see a little of the 06 team...but, I honestly don't think this coaching staff can do it.:icon_party:
  15. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 1 / -1
    In all honesty if you look at the last two games, they were not pretty, but the team was one poorly executed play away from winning both...

one more first down in green bay and the game was over...

LT turns his head one second sooner or Rivers holds the ball one second longer in kc and that game goes another way...

like I said neither win would have been the domination we all expected this season, but they would have been wins.

I know that shoulda, woulda, coulda dosen't mean anything, but this team is not far from pulling it together.
  16. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    There arent enough excuses you can make from taking a Super Bowl caliber team and making them into a shadow of their former selves in the middle of their run.....because YOU couldnt get along with the coach. Ted, Norv, and AJ all deserve to be let go. This roster cant even win DESPITE the coaches and front office........this isnt an accident or a fluke, the Bolts havent dominated anyone (even the NFL doormat Chiefs who they LOSE to).
    This isnt a time for cheerleading and making excuses for "your side" ....it is a time to right the ship before we have two more rebuilding years in the middle of our Super Bowl run.

AJ's eye on the future should have seen this coming. His following the Patriot's Plan sure doesnt sound like anything but BS, and his choices for coaching staff will be known by their record.

Marty took this team to 14-2 and THAT wasnt good enough for most of you and the F.O. Now we get excuses of why it is OK that Norv took this team to 1-3. If you care more about the team than you do about the suits, the choice is clear.