1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A.J. Smith Shopping Veterans for Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Mar 5, 2008.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,214 / 37 / -21
    I'd like to take the chance to say I told ya so...............I told ya so.

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Why would they?
    They could use anyone of those 11 draft picks to draft a better WR than erica

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Parker is plenty tough. What he offers is an experienced guy who's normally clutch and runs excellent patterns. With 11 choices they can afford to pick up an experienced guy as well as draft a newbie or two. Parker has an unjustified bad rap around here. He goofs up a lot less than the majority of receivers in the league and he has made as many clutch catches as any. Granted, his most obvious screw ups came at a bad time, but that is the luck of the draw. Those things happen when they happen and they happen to just about everyone.

4. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    That's a trade I would also make, but then the choices of trading partners is far more limited to teams willing to part with a decent fat boy and who are also in the market for a QB like Whitehurst. I wouldn't part with him unless the price was right. I suspect that his value will go up after camp starts and the exhibish begins to take it's toll around the league.

5. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    We do now and that's why he could be part of a package for a choice or the proper fat boy. If he hangs around, we have ideal depth in case something bad happens. The guy that sticks in my head when I think of Parker is Steve Largent. Not that fast, but with a knack of getting open for a QB that threw like a sniper.

6. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. I'd take a good fat boy for him as well, but player for player limits the trading partners. Gotta split, Ciao, buddy.

7. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Parker himself has a history of injuries himself

8. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Then where does that leave Davis??

9. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Agree 99.9%
    BUT I would also put floyd ahead of him :icon_rofl:

10. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I think if we package floyd and parker we might be able to get a 6th round pick :lol:

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,214 / 37 / -21
    I dont see any reason to trade Parker unless we get a 1st day offer.

Buster Davis is made of glass too, he had a few nicks and scratches that kept him out a few weeks last year, it's nice insurance to have a guy that was born to play the slot like Parker.

12. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Hows this for a reason, We need to sign 5-6 starters to long term deals and 3 of the guys are likely to demand top dollar (rivers, merriman cromartie), and yet still have guys likes VJ, Castillo, Igor, McNeill that need deal. Every dollar counts right now

Parker will be making almost 2 mil this year, 2.2 next year and 2.7 the year after, in comparison, VJ-Buster-Naannee-Floyd-osgood combined will only be making 60k more than parker alone

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Uhhhhh Parker has been starting for three years, because he was out last year he immediately has two guys in front of him that never played much? Come on man, Parker should at least be discussed in regards to being the slot receiver if not possibly earning a starting job.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4

its no less nuts then sticking two less capable 'rookies' in front of parker in hte slot role.

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Davis or Nanee have done nothing to being higher on any depth chart than Parker. The only reason I'd have Jackson higher is his physical attributes and that he's starting to show some of his potential, but the only person that beats Parker straight up is Chambers.

Parker is clutch and makes the catches when it counts. I can only think of one time when Parker didn't come up huge when we needed him and he wasn't the only disappointment that day.

Here's my depth chart

1) Chambers
    2) Jackson
    3) Parker
    4) Davis
    5) Nanee
    6) Osgood

I wouldn't mind trading Parker as Davis and Nanee would see more playing time, but only if we get value for him. To suggest that Parker is a scrub or anything like that would be wrong. The dude is clutch.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    You might need to write all this down on a piece of paper so you can remember it
    As of right now, they haven't done anything and Parker has done a hell of a lot more. If we trade Parker then yeah Naane and Davis move up hte depth charts. If not then Parker maintains his slot role which he has been outstanding at

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0

Yeah i can see Parker get traded during preseason or sooner if other WR's go down for other teams.
    Norv raves about Naanee and Davis is going to continue to get his shot and they also have talked alot about him and doing more things.

18. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    What exactly has he done?
    Has he ever had a 1000 yard season?? has he ever been a big TD guy?
    How many starting WRs do you know only get 600 yards and 0 TDs? How many WR COULDNT do that if given a shot?
    What starting WR do you know get taken out in the redzone?

Eric Parker has put up average stats his entire career, and will never be anything more than an average player, yet people make him out to be some irreplaceable superstar.

AJ saw how weak the WR core was last year when he drafted buster #1, and then drafted Naanee in the 5th. Do you think he Davis in the first with the thought that he would be a #3-4 his entire career?

AJ obviously views Davis as a legit starter down the line, and Chambers/Jackson as the starters for the time being. So if Parker is the #3, how is davis ever gonna get the experience he needs?

Parker has peaked while Davis is a similar player but bigger, faster and is loaded with potential, so what is the benefit of playing Parker over Davis??

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    and yet I don't understand why people are so down on a guy who's been nothing but guts and solid football since he first suited up with the Chargers. He's been lights-out his entire career on third down, has outstanding hands and is a great route runner. Prior to everyone drooling over Vincent Jackson, Eric Parker was our go to guy and that doesn't change. Does he have much statistically? Not as much as others, but that doesn't change the fact that he has been a crucial component to our past success. And yet somehow people just want to close their eyes to all this and promote A) a guy who doesn't have a positions (Naane) and B) a guy who half the people on this board call a bust instead is baffling at best and ludicrous at worse. Norv Turner is nuts about Davis and Naane, fine, but he hasn't even been given the chance to work with Eric Parker who's been down since 06. That's an unfair comparrison