1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A random thought--I wonder what is running through Clary's head

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IFiredCHart, Jan 2, 2010.

1. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    It is sad how one injury can cost a player his career, even if it is relatively minor in the case of Clary's :no:.

However, I am sure that he is seeing two things play out right in front of him while he is riding the pine on the IR:

1. Seeing someone replace him in Dombrowski who is doing his job better.

2. Seeing the depth of the team plug holes that we thought to be "issues to address" in the 2010 draft (for example, we have 3 good NT prospects, a beefy MLB unit, 4 good safeties not counting Spillman, etc.). We will very likely snag a tackle in the top 3 rounds of this draft.

Long story short, Clary's career as a Charger is probably over. Is that not sort of depressing? :unsure:
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Clary was definatly improving though, I was just starting to think he could work out before he got hurt.

Next year he'll be 27 with more than a years worth of starting experience, and coming off an injury we'll get him dirt cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if we keep him around as a backup OT.
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    The same thing that went through Wally Pipp's mind.
  4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 7 / -1
    I dunno I think ur being a tad harsh. Goin from being a starter to out of a job that quick I don't think so. Runyan may not b back next yr so we will b needing tackle depth. Looks like he and Dom will battle it out at RT, the loser being a backup. Both are adequate but not much more right now. I don't see us going Tackle at pick 32, more likely a RB there.
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Runyan won't be back. He's already signed on to run for NJ congress next year.

Dombrowski is doing a nice job, but he hasn't earned anything yet except a slap on the back.

All Clary has to worry about right now is healing & getting ready to compete next year. No one has taken anything from him yet.
  6. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I know that he has not formally lost anything yet, but I remember when he first joined the team and people saw out RT position being exposed. Dombrowski has been solid at RT since he was plugged in, which makes him at threat to Clary's job on this basis alone.

I agree that Pick 32 should not be used on RT, but consider Vasquez, a R3 pick who looks like a starting RG for years to come...talent at tackle can typically be found in the second and third rounds, as well, and there are a number of good cuts of beef available on the 2010 to challenge both Brando and Jero.
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I feel certain that we'll spend some day two picks on the OL.
  8. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I think now it is third day picks. They are doing the first round Thursday, 2nd and 3rd round on Friday, and rounds 4-7 Saturday. Still could be a second day pick for the OL, but I think most likely one or two Saturday.
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
    Clary see's Dom plays, thinks:
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  10. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  11. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    While Clary was continually being slated by fans and media, the coaching staff (and AJ) stuck with him.
    Thet loved his work ethic and attitude.
    Allied to his relative cheapness, surely the only way he wont be back next year is if he doesn't heal properly.

Rootin for you kid.
  12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    It is but professional sports is all business I guess. Given Clary's skill set his day were probably numbered anyways.
  13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Clary and Domb will fight for the tackle position. Depending on how Clary recovers he will win. HOWEVER, both would be good backups and we are lucky for that depth.

Domb did VERY well especially considering he was playing against the pro bowler from the Skins and at LT.
  14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    That said, I think we pick up a solid RT on day 2 at least. DT on day 1.
  15. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I would rather have a fast, smallish DT to play DE on Day 1, as the Cesaire spot is a weakness on the line relative to Jamal and Luis...although Jacques is an excellent depth player, don't get me wrong.

I think Vaughn has the potential to be our NT of the future, or even Nwagbuo, although I like OG anywhere on the line and would make for a small NT...although Ratliff is not the biggest behemoth, either.