1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A team offers Floyd a RFA contract--let him go and take the R1 and R3?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by IFiredCHart, Jan 7, 2010.

1. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    According to reports, Baltimore is currently looking at Floyd as a possibility, and his recent play suggests that we will tender him to the max, which would give us an R1 and an R3 if we let him walk.

Am I the only one who sees this as a great scenario for the Bolts? There is a lot of good WR talent that should be available in R3 of this draft, including tall receivers like Danario Alexander and Riley Cooper, and an extra first for a player who has had trouble staying healthy (yet has great hands and immense potential) is a move that I can see as being a huge payoff for years to come.

But this is all hypothetical and hinges on the demand for Floyd being there, which I would not be shocked if it were.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Oh it'd be GREAT for us to get another first and third from the Ravens

the $1 million question is, would the ravens give us that much?

Answer; I highly doubt it
  3. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    Reports speculate that they are looking at both VJax and Floyd, and we will not allow Vincent to go anywhere. I have seen teams overpay for skill players more times than are countable, and after seeing what Floyd did to the Skins, I would not be shocked if teams see a potential #1 wideout in him.
  4. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    We need to keep Floyd especially since I bought two of his jerseys. Trade Buster.
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Absolutely. No way Floyd is worth a 1st and a 3rd, and if anyone was stupid enough to give that much for him we should take advantage.

Its more likely someone tries to snag Vjack from us for that price. And I think its going to be harder than most people think to retain him.
  6. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    I think they will try to snag him for that price, but I think we will foot the bill for him with LT coming off the books at his current salary. We should have enough cap space to keep McNeill, as well, and Sproles being de-franchised should give us some more cash to play with, as well.

Besides, I think someone would offer more if we were to re-sign him and THEN trade him. I do not see the 1st and 3rd scenario happening to VJax.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Exactly. Yet another reason LT either has to go, or accept a much smaller contract and a much smaller role.

I really hope we win the Super Bowl and he retires a Charger.
  8. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Why would he wanna go anywhere else? WHo else is gonna get him the ball as well as rivers? especially a deep ball? I say if he goes we need to try to get brandon marshall. there is no way he is coming back to denver!
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I would absolutely let Floyd go for that. That isn't a knock on him at all, but having another 1st & 3rd would open up all kinds of possibilities for the draft.

I really can't see this happening. Baltimore is a smarter organization than this.

As for Brandon Marshall - the guy is undeniably a huge talent. He'll also be an RFA, so we have to see what Denver would do there.

My take on Marshall is that he likely wouldn't be very happy having to share the ball as much as he would here. PR does a great job of spreading the ball around - not at all sure that we could keep Marshall contented in that environment & I sure as hell don't want to upset the chemistry that we have now.
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Money talks, Denver has been known to make big splashes in free agency and AJ Smith doesn't like to bend in contract negotiations.

Plus he has family ties to the Denver area, and Denver just happens to need a #1 WR after they trade Marshall to someone who is not us.
  11. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    I know Marshall is a punk-*** and a thug, but I am always a fan of irony...us ending up with Marshall and them ending up with Jackson would be bizarro-world crazy.

But I really see us keeping Jackson. Where did you see anything about him being a Broncos fan? I have been unable to find anything concrete that actually says this, although I am well aware of his childhood and college career.

But I grew up in New England, and my hate for the Pats runs deep :icon_twisted:
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Denver could, if it was really willing to do that, toss a first and third and acquire VJ. They'd have two first rounders assuming a trade of Brandon Marshall. However, the question remains whether or not they'd want to toss that much in terms of draft picks and then money into a guy in an area that, even if they lose marshall, isn't the weakest area on the field. Royal and Gaffney are good receives along with Stokley. And they're probably decent free agent WRs that would compliment the group without costing an arm and a leg.

Considering their defensive struggles, teh fact that a decent chunk of their roster is splitting even with no CBA, why would they devote so much to VJ and also give us a big leg up in the draft?
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21

This is all assuming that the CBA flops and all these guys are RFA's. In the short run this CBA disaster could actually help us, in the long run I think sucks ***.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    When we faced Denver in the infamous Hochuli game in 2008 the announcer said he grew up in Colorado Springs rooting for the Broncos, and that his family had come to see him play that day.
  15. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    Well, I remembered the second part of that statement :p.

But seriously, after that game, I likely binged away any short-term memories.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    If we lose Floyd...

6'3 210, has drawn some comparisons to Brandon Marshall. Will likely go in 3rd round.
  17. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    Danario Alexander and his big, bulky 6' 5" frame with great hands is also projected to go in the 3rd round.

Great value with either of the two.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    My concern with Alexander is he is really lanky, he looks like he's running around on stilts, skinniest legs I've ever seen.:lol: And of course an injury history has followed him.

If he can add 10-15lbs without losing some speed I can see another Floyd like project.:tup: Probably a late 3rd rounder, early 4th.
  19. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    The thing with Alexander is that his talent is top 2 round caliber...he was originally slated to be Chase Daniel's #1 wideout before his injury, and this year was a big time window into what he could be in the NFL.

He is not nearly as slow as someone his size would suggest, as well.

But the injury history gives him the late 3rd projection--could be a nice value pick. I was impressed with what I saw out of him this year, for sure. When I look at this clip, I am reminded of Vincent Jackson.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    I'd say its more the inability to get consistant separation, along with the knee injury that knocks him down a round or two. Also he's kind of a body catcher.

No doubt the physical ability is there though, I see a solid #2 in the future, could be a STEAL.
  21. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    If I recall, the 2 biggest knocks with VJ were inability to get separation and a concern for inferior competition at No. Colorado, but I see the same great hands, same ability to make catches in traffic, and most importantly, the same ability to out-physical the defenders and YAC it up.

If the knee is in the past and he is on the board at the end of R3, I say we go for it, especially if Floyd does end up making an exit in return for a draft pick or two.
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    I'm down.:tup:
  23. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I think at best, we might be able to get a 2nd rounder for him, but even that might be a stretch, BUT if any team was gonna give us that much for him, it would be the ravens since they have Cam, a young QB looking for a dependable WR, and GM that really knows talent

Not sure i want to give him up though
  24. the_riddler

the_riddler BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Going to be interesting to see what happens.

Hope we keep both Floyd and VJ.
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Got another one for you...Carlton Mitchell (6'4 215 4.45)

Projects as a 3rd rounder..
  26. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    Yes this guy is good. I just hope we keep drafting great receivers with great height such as this man here. Having height over the defense is such a big advantage and it makes it easier on Philip Rivers. GO BOLTS!
  27. IFiredCHart

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    Carlton Mitchell is better than people realize...I thought he was a R2 guy, but if he drops to us, I am all for drafting him. There is a reason why USF experienced no dropoff when Matt Grothe went down--Mitchell is a great package of speed and height...but I like Alexander's toughness and hands more.

But I would not be adverse to drafting Mitchell by any means.