1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A whole lot of respect from the Black Hole

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 17, 2005.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +707 / 2 / -0
    From NC Times

OAKLAND ---- Running back LaDainian Tomlinson is so nonchalant when scoring touchdowns, some wonder if he has a pulse. But after notching his first one Sunday afternoon in the Chargers' victory over the Oakland Raiders at McAfee Coliseum, he sprang into action to retrieve the football.

"I got that one,'' said Tomlinson, who rushed for 140 yards and a touchdown, plus caught one and threw for another. "Lenny Moore is quite a guy; it's a 40-year old record, and (he's) a Hall of Famer. I had to be able to get that football and tell my kids I got part of that record.''

Tomlinson continued his assault on the NFL history with another stellar performance at Oakland. He entered the game averaging 168 rushing yards his three most recent visits, collecting at least 153 every outing.

But Sunday was an out-of-the-world Tomlinson day. He also became just the seventh player to get touchdowns rushing and receiving, and to throw one as well.

Plus he tied Jim Brown as the second-faster player in NFL history to score 70 touchdowns, doing it in 69 games.

"He's the best in the league,'' said Raiders linebacker Danny Clark. "Everyone knows that.''

Even the crazies in the Black Hole. What once was a tenuous relationship between the rabid Raiders rooters and Tomlinson has become a somewhat warm relationship. Where he was once showered with garbage, he now hears praise.

"My first few times coming here, they were really on me,'' said Tomlinson, who threw his third career scoring pass. "Now it's kind of more, 'LT, don't do us too bad,' It's a mutual respect. It's not as hard as it used to be.''

Then the light flickers in Tomlinson's head, which brings a smile to his face.

He knows the real reason some Oakland faithful embrace him has nothing to do with the Chargers-Raiders rivalry.

"I think some of them fans are fantasy owners, too,'' Tomlinson said.

Left tackle Roman Oben said it's like a fantasy watching Tomlinson do his thing.

"He's not only the best running back in the NFL, but the best skill player on the field,'' he said. "Not to disrespect Drew Brees, Antonio Gates or Keenan McCardell, but he's a special guy.

"I rather have him in my huddle rather than standing on the sidelines seeing our defense try to tackle him.''

Tomlinson has brought the Raiders to their knees nearly every time he played them. Now, he has conquered the Black Hole residents, as well.

"We've used the word Superman without the cape,'' Brees said of the adjectives finding their way to Tomlinson. "We've used a lot of terms to describe LT. I just think he never ceases to amaze.''
  2. NFLAdam

NFLAdam BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. You do a great job of keeping all of these stories in one place for us to come and read.

People do not say that often enough.
  3. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thanks Ray. I like coming to just one site for all the Charger news. :kegger:
  4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +707 / 2 / -0
    Thanks guys. It's alot of work but I enjoy putting this site and podcast out for you guys.