1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Acee: For the good of the team, Gaither can't return

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    Acee: Jared Gaither can't return to Chargers

We don’t know what the new Chargers General Manager will decide regarding so many pending personnel questions.

But there is no doubt about the status of one player.

Left tackle Jared Gaither will not be back. He can’t be.

That eventually has not been guaranteed by the remaining decision makers at Chargers Park, but it has been hinted at strongly.

Even if the Chargers brass had some wildly naïve/ignorant notion that Gaither would remain healthy -- or not pretend he was more hurt than he was, as virtually everyone in the organization believes was the case in 2012 – Gaither would not be welcome in the locker room.

“I can’t even look him in the eye,” one veteran told me earlier in the season, after Gaither had sat out the first three games with a back issue that no one could clearly diagnose.

On Dec. 23, here is what another veteran said, unsolicited, when ruminating on the ruins of the season: “----ing Gaither. He ----ing cost us big-time.”

Several other players voiced similar sentiments. Some suspected within a couple weeks that Gaither was milking his back injury. Others didn’t get frustrated until September. Many held out until the end of the season. But by then, there were no dissenters.

It’s impossible to state how rare that is. Players don’t question other players’ injuries. It’s in the code. Even when they quietly wondered about oft-injured former wide receiver Buster Davis’ toughness, players gave him the benefit of the doubt that he wanted to be on the field.

When the Chargers placed Gaither on injured reserve in November, this time because of a groin injury of dubious severity, the team essentially told him to go home, that they didn’t want him around. (If he denies this, it’s only because his dimness might rival his suspected fraudulence. He was told he could go home, didn’t need to stay around.)

The super-talented behemoth of a man played five virtually flawless games for the Chargers in 2011 to earn a contract with $9 million guaranteed. The Chargers knew signing him was a risk, given his history of injuries and rumblings by his former employers that he was lazy and even a faker. But Gaither was the only starting left tackle available in free agency.

Gaither ended up playing parts of four games. Since that’s all he will play, he ended up costing the Chargers $2.25 million per game he was active. The charge was $36,144 per snap played and the bargain price of $37,974 per snap in which he was not responsible for Philip Rivers being hit, hurried or sacked.

Still, it is better to waste $9 million already committed and absorb the $6 million cap hit by releasing Gaither than risk owing him $4.5 million if he’s on the roster at the start of the 2013 season.

Asked if Gaither could ever return and be accepted by teammates, safety Eric Weddle was as gracious as he could be: “He could. It would take a lot of work to earn back the respect. And that’s not going to happen.”

Team president Dean Spanos knows this. So it doesn’t matter who the new GM is.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    Beat me to the punch, was just about to post this. Lol

Not surprised, but I was surprised with the reactions from veterans. So scratch Gaither out definitely, that means we keep Clary! :mad:

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    LOL....... you drew the same conclusion as me. Clary is the bad penny you can't get rid of. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +901 / 5 / -0
    Note to Clary;

Bulk up, big guy. And start reviewing some film while you are on vacation or between tee times at Steele Canyon golf course...

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    If.....and its a big IF, they keep Clary, I hope it is only as a guard, because he is a terrible tackle

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    Before we release him, can we just lock him in cage with TKO and let Spikes take out his frustrations on him?

Also, what's the bet the "----in' Gaither" comment came from one of his former Ravens teammates (probably Jarret Johnson, but could have been McClain too).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    I could easily imagine Hardwick making that comment...... judging from his past interviews.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was Ty green who played best with Gaither besides him. Green went from decent guard to scrub in a contract year.

Clary needs to be moved to guard or traded if at all possible. Only way to make lemonade out of this particular lemon

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    Its a shame the "___ing Gaither" wasn't a "Golly jee wiz, What the darn tootin' " I wonder who that would be:whistling:

I wonder what the cap would be minus a 6mil hit.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,255 / 38 / -21
    I'm working on that.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I think that what bothers me the most about this is that as a fan, you want these guys to do well. You don't care where they played before, or how good they've been elsewhere, or whether they've had a history, you just want them to do well as soon as they sign their contracts. When one of these guys signs a big contract, and then completely fucks the team with their behavior, it's heartbreaking. It's not just heartbreaking because they didn't perform up to expectations, but also because they belied the trust that you put in them to put forth an honest effort.

At least with Buster Davis and Larry English you knew that their horribleness was the front office's fault. This is just absurd.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    is there anyway they can file some sort of grievance against Gaither? I mean, I doubt they win, but..

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,940 / 48 / -26
    I do believe they are considering it........ Acee mentioned something in passing before.

14. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -2
    Kind of "cornered" by another Chargers fan, Acee finally said flat out that Gaither's contract is NOT guaranteed for 2013. Of course, that is only what it is worth - but none-the-less it was as close to a flat statement as we are going to see out of him, and the fact that he made no mention of the "sources" makes me think he is probably right on this one. Of course, we can expect to see future mention of an appeal from the NFLPA and pending lawsuit - but I feel a bit better about his recent reports on this matter now.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    Law suit wise it could be done would be tough and you know the NFLPA would make this a bloody street fight. My guess is that Gaither will have an injury settlement to eliminate the cap hit, but that's the best you can hope for. Gaither will leave one way or another and will get money, it's just a matter of how its done