1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Acee/Gehlken Final Roster Prediction - Take 2

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Predicting the Chargers roster, Take 2
    By Kevin Acee and Michael Gehlken
    3:36 P.M.AUG. 3, 2013

The first preseason game isn't until Thursday, and the regular season opener is not for another month after that. There are possible veteran free agent signings and likely injuries to come. Still, after watching nine practices, U-T Chargers beat writer Michael Gehlken and columnist Kevin Acee present their second attempt at predicting the team's roster.

It's the same top 53 players as last week, though there are a few new guys on the watch list and some added observations based on what Acee and Gehlken have seen and heard. They will refine their projected roster each Sunday.

Quarterbacks
    Philip Rivers
    Charlie Whitehurst
    Brad Sorensen: If he can consistently show the same potential in preseason games he has flashed in practices, he could justify keeping a third QB.

Running backs
    Ryan Mathews
    Danny Woodhead
    Ronnie Brown
    Le’Ron McClain

Offensive line
    D.J. Fluker
    Jeromey Clary
    Nick Hardwick
    Chad Rinehart
    King Dunlap
    Max Starks: This week crucial if he is to make a move for the starting job. Dunlap has been the superior left tackle.
    Johnnie Troutman
    David Molk
    Steve Schilling: Working at center in addition to guard, which could boost his chances. But a ninth O-lineman on roster no sure thing.

Tight end
    Antonio Gates
    John Phillips
    Ladarius Green

Receiver
    Danario Alexander
    Malcom Floyd
    Vincent Brown
    Keenan Allen
    Eddie Royal: As he did in 2012, showing how dynamic he can be. Difference so far in '13 is he's healthy.
    Robert Meachem

Defensive line
    Corey Liuget
    Cam Thomas
    Kendall Reyes
    Kwame Geathers
    Jarius Wynn
    Damik Scafe

Outside linebacker
    Dwight Freeney
    Jarret Johnson
    Larry English
    Tourek Williams
    Thomas Keiser

Inside linebacker
    Donald Butler
    Manti Te’o
    D.J. Smith
    Bront Bird
    Andrew Gachkar

Cornerback
    Derek Cox
    Shareece Wright
    Johnny Patrick
    Steve Williams

Safety
    Eric Weddle
    Brandon Taylor
    Marcus Gilchrist: Return of Taylor (ACL) doesn't necessarily mean Gilchrist returns to corner. Has really played well.
    Jahleel Addae: Rookie has missed time due to muscle strain just as team ramping up special teams installation. Impressive early but needs to get back on the field.
    Darrell Stuckey

Placekicker
    Nick Novak

Punter
    Mike Scifres

Long snapper
    Mike Windt

Fighting chance
    Edwin Baker
    Frank Beltre
    Marcus Cromartie
    Greg Gatson
    Chris Gronkowski
    William Middleton
    Brandon Moore
    Devan Walker
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Guys there I don't think will actually make it...(Keeping in mind of course the pre-season games could change a lot)

RB Brown - Surprise cut coming...I think so.
    OT/OG Schilling - Practicing at C is a last ditch effort to add to his value. Molk and Ohrnberger are enough backup.
    DE Scafe - I do like him a bit, but there is another DL I like more.
    OLB - Thomas Keiser - We have plenty of heavy OLB/DE's, we need a pass rusher.

Guys I would replace them with...

RB Edwin Baker - Has one more year of PS eligibility, but I'm predicting a big pre-season for him.
    NT/DE Byron Jerideau - Will almost certainly get vultured if we try to put him on the PS.
    OLB Frank Beltre - Reminds me of Antwan Barnes, could be a nice situational pass rusher.
    OT Nick Becton - A lot like Dunlap, surprisingly good pass blocker due to long arms and technique...poor run blocker. If he performs in the preseason like I believe he will we're going to have a hard time moving him to the PS.

Guys I think we will cut and wonder if we'll end up regretting it....

CB Marcus Cromartie - Tall, long armed, physical....just gotta see if he has the diagnostic skills.
    WR Mike Willie - No guarantee he makes it to our PS, if we could only afford to cut Meachem...
    TE Ben Cotton - A 3rd OT big blocking TE, reminds me of Jake Ballard or Alge Crumpler.
    DE Brandon Moore - 6'5 317, looong arms, naturally powerful, but too slow...
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    I don't like the idea of only having one NT (a rookie) behind Cam Thomas either. We've carried 3 guys in the past, and needed them all.

If we actually keep 3 QBs this year, it makes the Meachem situation even more of a big deal. All 53 guys must be contributors.
  4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    But 9 OL and 6 DL? I doubt that's going to happen. Especially when McCoy said they were going to carry 7 OL on the 53.
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    That's Acee and Gehlken who said 9 on the OL........ not me. If they keep 3 QBs, then 7 seems a lot more likely.

As far as the D-line goes, I'd hate to sacrifice good talent to the poachers, when there's a sacrificial goat like Meachem just sitting around. ;)
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20

I don't like the sound of that, seems risky given our injury stigma the last few years.

Plus you have to account for the future, which old guys like Max Starks and Hardwick who may be considering retirement and may not be apart of. If a young guy like Nick Becton has a good pre-season and seems like he might push for a starting job in '14...thats a guy we want to keep around.
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    That's another reason why we can't just dump our developmental QB every year. At some point, you have to groom a guy to eventually replace Rivers. Hopefully, that won't be any time soon.
  8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Quarterbacks
    Philip Rivers
    Charlie Whitehurst

Running backs
    Ryan Mathews
    Danny Woodhead
    Edwin Brown
    Le’Ron McClain

Offensive line
    D.J. Fluker
    Jeromey Clary
    Nick Hardwick
    Chad Rinehart
    King Dunlap
    Max Starks
    Johnnie Troutman
    David Molk
    Steve Schilling

Tight end
    Antonio Gates
    John Phillips
    Ladarius Green

Receiver
    Danario Alexander
    Malcom Floyd
    Vincent Brown
    Keenan Allen
    Eddie Royal
    Robert Meachem

Defensive line
    Corey Liuget
    Cam Thomas
    Kendall Reyes
    Kwame Geathers
    Jarius Wynn
    Damik Scafe
    Veteran Acquisition: Justin Bannan, Rocky Bernard, Casey Hampton, Sione Pouha, and Richard Seymour still available, I'm sure we're looking. We scheduled a visit with Bannan in June.

Outside linebacker
    Dwight Freeney
    Jarret Johnson
    Larry English
    Tourek Williams
    Thomas Keiser

Inside linebacker
    Donald Butler
    Manti Te’o
    D.J. Smith
    Bront Bird
    Andrew Gachkar

Cornerback
    Derek Cox
    Shareece Wright
    Johnny Patrick
    Steve Williams

Safety
    Eric Weddle
    Brandon Taylor
    Marcus Gilchrist
    Jahleel Addae
    Darrell Stuckey

Placekicker
    Nick Novak

Punter
    Mike Scifres

Long snapper
    Mike Windt

Fighting chance
    Nick Becton
    Marcus Cromartie
    Michael Hill
    Byron Jerideau
    Brandon Moore
    Brad Sorensen
    Dallas Walker
  9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    Fair enough on OL. On DL I'd be surprised if the poachers gave a shite after our 5th man. In fact, we might be the poachers this year rather than the poachees...
  10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    Not sure about the future of the udfas, but I guess I'll trust the coaching staff until they start giving away talent.

I'm with you on 7 though. 8 is a helluva lot more comfortable, especially if you're the kind of coach who keeps saying 'we're going to find the best 5 throughout the season'. If McCoy has only 7 to work with, those 2 statements of his are at odds.

9 on OL is pushing it with this group. I'd bet whoever ol #9 is, he can safely get through the 24 hr waivers period to the ps.
  11. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +425 / 2 / -1
    8 OL, 2 QB so we can keep Baker and Willie on the roster.
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20

Does that mean we keep 7 WRs though?

I like the idea of cutting CBJ and keeping Sorenson, assuming Sorenson (already 25) shows he's competent in the pre-season.
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    Predicting The Chargers 53 Man Roster V2.0
    Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:44 am
    by Ernie Padaon

We haven’t played one game yet, but some of the guys are making major impressions throughout training camp. We put on the pads and things get real on Thursday though and we can finally see how people do when the cameras turn on.
    Quarterbacks (2)
    QB2 Charlie WhitehurstQB3 Brad Sorensen
    On the bubble/on the outs:
    I think the team will keep a third quarterback on the roster this year. If Sorensen shows potential during the preseason, he should be on the roster. He would allow us to get rid of CBJ in the future. I almost wouldn’t mind getting rid of CBJ early… like during this offseason. If we lose Philip, we might as well throw the kid in.
    Runningbacks (5)
    FB1 LeRon McClain
    I don’t know if any of the undrafted guys make it. It is going to take a good effort, but I am not sure how many runningbacks fit on the roster. If/when Ryan goes down, Woodhead, Brown and McClain will have to take the bulk of the carries.
    Tight Ends (3)
    Wide Receivers (6)
    WR4 Keenan Allen
    There are a lot of guys that I would love to see get a chance for a spot here, but this position seems locked in. Robert Meachem makes the roster only because of his salary cap hit.Richard Goodman could make things interesting, but there is no room for 7 receivers. He is playing for a shot on another roster now. If he does well enough, maybe we can get a little in return.Mike Willie has been a favorite of mine for a while, but we will have to try and sneak him over to the practice squad again.
    Offensive Linemen (9)
    RT1 DJ Fluker
    I don’t know if Mike Harris fits on the roster. We already have a few people that can slide over and play the tackle positions.
    Defensive Linemen (6)
    NT1 Cam Thomas
    NT2 Kwame Geathers
    DT3 Byron Jerideau
    I still think that the Chargers will bring in another veteran at this position to take the spot from Jerideau. Watch the waiver wire at this position.
    Linebackers (9)
    MLB2 Manti Te’o
    OLB4 Tourek Williams
    MLB3 DJ Smith
    MLB4 Bront Bird
    Where does Andrew Gachkar fit? He is a special teams ace, but there are not a lot of available roster spots left. I think that roster spot will come down to Bront Bird and him. Right now I give the spot to Bird, but we may need some help on special teams.
    Secondary (9)
    CB1 Derek Cox
    CB4 Steve WilliamsS Darrell Stuckey S Jahleel Addae
    I have been hearing a lot of good things about Marcus Cromartie throughout camp and think he could be close to stealing a job. I think the depth at this position is a lot better than I first thought.
    Special Teamers (3)
  15. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see us cut CBJ now. Sorensen is more valuable as a developmental QB, and we cant afford 3 QB's on the roster. Regardless if we cut Meachem or not, were gonna have 6 WR's on the roster.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +425 / 2 / -1
    Yah, that would be keeping 7 receivers which I know will probably never happen, but im afraid Willie wont make it to the PS this year and he has shown he is a solid gunner on ST's so he has a place here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    With the injury to Alexander, and hopefully no more injuries in the coming weeks and months, here is my roster prediction.
    (2)
    QB1 Philip Rivers
    QB2 Nathan Enderle
    (5)
    RB1 Ryan Mathews
    RB2 Ronnie Brown
    RB3 Danny Woodhead
    RB4 Le'Ron McClain
    RB5 Edwin Baker
    (1)
    FB1 Chris Gronkowski
    (6)
    WR1 Malcolm Floyd
    WR2 Vincent Brown
    WR3 Eddie Royal
    WR4 Robert Meachem
    WR5 Keenan Allen
    WR6 Richard Goodman
    (3)
    TE1 Antonio Gates
    TE2 John Phillips
    TE3 Ladarius Green
    (8)
    LT1 King Dunlap
    LG1 Chad Rinehart
    C1 Nick Hardwick
    RG1 Jeromey Clary
    RT2 DJ Fluker
    T Max Starks
    G Johnnie Troutman
    G Steve Schilling
    (7)
    DE1 Corey Liuget
    NT1 Cam Thomas
    DE2 Kendall Reyes
    DE3 Jarius Wynn
    NT2 Kwame Geathers
    DE4 Damik Scafe
    NT3 Byron Jerideau**
    (8)
    OLB1 Dwight Freeney
    MLB1 Donald Butler
    MLB2 Manti Te'o
    OLB2 Jarret Johnson
    OLB3 Larry English
    MLB3 DJ Smith
    MLB4 Andrew Gachkar
    OLB4 Thomas Keiser
    OLB5 Tourek Williams
    (9)
    CB1 Derek Cox
    SS1 Marcus Gilchrist
    FS1 Eric Weddle
    CB2 Shareece Wright
    CB3 Johnny Patrick
    CB4 Steve Williams
    SS2 Brandon Taylor
    FS2 Darrel Stuckey
    SS3 Jahleel Addae
    (3)
    K Nick Novak
    P Mike Scifres
    LS Mike Windt

*EDITED
    ** Vet signing coming along the defensive line I believe. Especially behind Cam Thomas. Need someone there. Which would see Byron Jerideau to the PS and another roster spot open for a veteran.

Practice Squad
    QB Brad Sorensen
    RB Fozzy Whittaker
    WR Michael Willie
    OL Nick Becton
    DL Byron Jerideau**
    LB Jerrell Harris
    DB Josh Johnson
    DB Marcus Cromartie
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  18. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Why are you predicting Nathan Enderle over Sorensen? I would think we would even keep CBJ over Enderle.
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Sorensen is practice squad eligible. And he is most likely more developed than Sorensen having been in the league with a few organizations. And CBJ is a cap hit, we can get the same production from Enderle as we would with CBJ for half of CBJ's contract.
  20. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Still believe this after tonights game? lol ;)

Sorensen looked great, No way he doesn't make the 53. Out with CBJ. Enderle didn't even get a snap.
  21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    So they give up on Brandon Taylor already?
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Yes he did, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. If Sorensen did that running with the 2's I'd be impressed. It was 3rd stringers.

CBJ is out, don't see the need for him with his salary. And Enderle just joined the team a week or so ago. Thats why he didn't get any snaps.
  23. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Wow can't believe I forgot him. So that would leave a roster space or 2 left over. I feel like a vet signing is coming somewhere before the start of the season.
  24. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't who who he did it against, but how he did it. Making strong accurate throws on the run, avoiding pressure, showing Russell Wilson like poise when things hit the fan(his very first play was a muffed snap that led to a completion). Kid has a nice accurate strong arm, and is very mobile. Every throw had ton of zip on it. The kid actually reminds me of Wilson quite a bit.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,578 / 42 / -26
    That's my take as well.......... well, except the Russell Wilson part. ;)

No matter what string it was against, that first play with the botched snapped showed a lot to me. Many QBs (especially in their first NFL play) would've panicked, and either turned the ball over fumbling to control it, or just fell on the ball to prevent a turnover. To have the presence of mind to not panic, secure the ball and make a positive play with it is huge.

Whitehurst, on the other hand, show mobility to escape pressure, but doesn't do anything with that extra time. How many times did CBJ scramble out of a sack but still come away with nothing? Too many times, if you ask me.

Sorenson shows intelligence, poise, mobility, and a good arm...... that's something Frank Reich can work with. Whitehurst is 31...... he is what he is, and he isn't going to get any better. Sorenson deserves a shot to develop as a real backup and a possible eventual starter.
  26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    Since Whitehurst doesn't get the clipboard any more, can we just start calling him Jesus?
  27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 6 / -3
    paging Pete Carroll - we have a messiah for your bench.
  28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 7 / -1
    Didn't they release their take 3 on Sunday and predicted Gronk and Goodman (WTF?) make it and Meachem gets cut?
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Well if Floyd is out long term thats going to increase the snaps for Royal and Allen at WR, which means we should probably have Goodman on the roster as the return guy....even though it's like watching a deer run with it's eyes closed every time he has the ball.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 6 / -3
    If all we've been keeping Goodman around for is KR duties, he should be gone soon.