1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Acee/Gehlken Final Roster Prediction - Take 2

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    No his one stat mentioned isn't impressive to me. Not with only 18 total attempts on the season. Not when his returns often make me facepalm while watching them.

Perhaps it's because of the word "impressive" being tossed around and "Top XXX". I would consider him impressive if he were a returner that teams feared, a returner teams don't kick to on purpose. I would care about a skewed single stat if it related to points on the scoreboard. Marcus Thigpen had the same kind of return average with 20+ more attempts - doesn't mean I consider him impressive as a KR.

Osgood was a ST stand-out. If Goodman starts making plays as a gunner like KO did, great, but he's not. IMO, it's not that he sucks but that he's replaceable and with our depth issues we need as many multi-functional players as possible.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,769 / 47 / -26
    Goodman got injured last year, as you no doubt remember. His return average for the prior year was almost identical (27.5 vs 27.6). That's what you would call consitency. Teams may not "fear" him (since he's only had one taken to the house), but how many guys are there in the league like that? Not that many.

I'm not suggesting he's not replaceable, but I haven't seen anyone on the current roster who can do both his return and coverage duties better than him. If you know of a player, please name him.
  3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    On the current roster I think Royal and Allen could out KR him, and Willie and Allen could outgun him. That being said I think only Willie will have any time left for ST's after the rest of the guys are playing with the starting Offense so Goodman may stick for better or worse. I'll grant you his stats, but I never have a good feeling when he has the ball in his hands. I think he left major yardage on the field last year with his decision making and I think he is a mediocre receiver. Again, I think he is going to stick because we don't have the depth to replace his production right now (Which would have been different with DX and M80 as the starters) but that doesn't make me stop questioning why Spurlock was not in camp this year.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,156 / 37 / -21
    I'm in the camp that we should keep Goodman in his STs capacity, but only because we don't have a better option.
    And because Royal and Allen are one Floyd injury away from being starters.
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,769 / 47 / -26
    I'd love to have a few "cheap" TDs too, but I don't currently see a better option on the team. Royal is a punt returner, not a kick returner, and Allen's knee is already showing fragility. Neither Allen or Goodman have shown they are equal as a gunner to Goodman. If Allen is going to have a big a role as it looks like, then why risk him anyway? The same goes for Royal, who has a hard enough time staying healthy.
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,769 / 47 / -26
    That's the way I see it too.

It's not that Goodman is wonderful, it's just that we don't have a better option, so why be in a hurry to get rid of him? I'm all for upgrading the team...... I just don't see a player on the current roster who offers an upgrade over Goodman.
  7. Sydalish

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    **side-note: not sure if this is a new feature or not but pleasantly surprised my reply that I typed up earlier today at work, and thought I'd lost when chrome crashed, popped up when I hit reply now, several hours later. Neat~

Definitely not many return men out there that teams "fear" hence their earning of the term "impressive" ;) Consistency is all good, but it's not the same thing. I expect a certain level of consistency honestly, especially if KR is your primary/only role.

Hard to answer that question with any certainty since I haven't seen much of anyone else at KR. I would like to see some other players get a chance though - and why I felt it a valid question "why didn't we re-sign Spurlock"? I'm sure there's a reason, it may very well be a legit one, I just wonder what it is. Hopefully I can watch the Chicago game on TV and do some rewinding this week so I can actually see the player numbers/names on ST (watching the game at the Q last week with out of date contacts made that tricky)

Personally, I kind of prefer RB's to WR's as kick returners. Mostly because they tend to be more physical. On that note, and this is really just to satisfy my own twisted curiosity, I'd like to see Fozzy Whitaker get a shot and see what he could do. Trying to remember the kids' name, is it Edwin Baker who had some serious get-up-and-go? Maybe throw Cromartie's cousin out there and see if it runs in the family :p Hell, toss Willie or Depalma out there. Or make Meachem earn his keep - though I have my doubts about his ability to actually catch the ball at this point.
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,769 / 47 / -26
    Remember......... Goodman is a returner and a gunner. You have to replace both his spots, if you cut him.
  9. Sydalish

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    I never said we didn't - just that I understand why people aren't eager to keep him around and that's he's definitely replaceable. If he's the best we've got - fine - but I'm optimistic the possibility that we can do better exists.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,769 / 47 / -26
    I guess that's where we differ....... I believe we can do better, but not with anyone currently on the roster. Maybe, next year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sydalish

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    Hey now - you gotta wait until AT LEAST week 3 to start saying "maybe next year" man!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,769 / 47 / -26
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,156 / 37 / -21
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,769 / 47 / -26
    Sure, because style is more important than production...... right? ;)
  15. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    That's what I said. Don't think any of the guys that could replace him will have time/energy to be the primary gunner/kr after the injuries.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,156 / 37 / -21
    I guess so, if that means we could trade Goodman for Devin Hester, Darren Sproles, Marc Mariani, Josh Cribbs, Leon Washington etc...all guys who also return punts, and have a break more big returns than our sprinting headless chicken.

Or in the case of Randal Cobb and Antonio Brown who are actually a starting WRs on top of full time return duties. Goodman is consistent, but I'd like to have a guy who could put the ball on the other side of the 50 more than once or twice a year.
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,769 / 47 / -26
    Looking back at some of the return stats reminded me just how infrequent TD returns are anyway. With the change in the kickoff placement, they will be even more rare in the future.

In 2011, when Goodman was 4th in return average, he had one kickoff run back for a TD. Funny thing, no one else in the league had more than 1 TD returning the ball that year. What's most important, is for the returner to put his team in good field position and avoid negative plays...... Goodman has done that.
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,769 / 47 / -26
    Like I said, you may be able to get someone better eventually. I just don't see that happening this year.

I wasn't the one who let Sproles go....... that was AJ. ;)
  19. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208 / 2 / -0
    This is a good point, and as much as I cringe every time Goodman starts bringing the ball back, one thing I haven't seen him do is drop the ball or fumble it. Maybe some of us got too spoiled with Sproles. Even though Goodman runs like he's blind, he's fast and has good hands so he still gives us good field position.
  20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Goodman runs as fast as he can & hopes to hit a hole. Fine. i'm not looking for "style" points either, but he isn't a returner - just a fast guy. I understand the argument of "better than the rest we have" ..... maybe. Maybe Fozzy is a guy we should give a hard look at. Or Baker. Both fast with better vision/wiggle than Goodman & could quite likely fill the bill as a gunner too.

How did you feel about the lackadaisical way he went after the muffed kick? Doesn't exactly look like the effort I want in guy with that responsibility.
    • Like Like x 1