1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Acee: Meachem must go... at any cost

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    Chargers must let Meachem go, at any cost
    By Kevin Acee 2:51 P.M. AUG. 10, 2013

Don’t you dare make the comparison.

Robert Meachem is not Jared Gaither.

Meachem is neither as important nor as apathetic as Gaither was.

But the bottom lines appear to be the same. In the end, neither could help the Chargers. Both will end their careers here sooner than should have happened, walking away with millions of the team’s dollars and highlighting (in neon) the bind in which the Chargers have been left by the failed free agency foray of 2012.

Where Gaither took his money and shut down, Meachem is the real face of that ill-fated attempt to fortify a faulty roster with a massive (desperate) expenditure last spring by former General Manager A.J. Smith.

Meachem wants to be good. He simply isn’t. He wants to contribute. He just can’t.

It’s so bad that paying him $5 million to not play while also paying somone else is less of a waste than paying him $5 million and having him take up a roster spot -- even with the remaining top four receivers all having an injury history.

You understand how drastic this is?

We're not just talking about a salary cap hit here, though that is sizable. We're talking real money possibly being paid to a player who will be at home.

That's the situation after the Chargers guaranteed Meachem $14 million last March, which includes a guaranteed base salary of $5 million this season.

Given the thin market for receivers that year and the fact the Chargers simultaneously landed Eddie Royal and paid far less for two receivers than the Washington Redskins did for Pierre Garcon, the Chargers’ thinking was at least understandable.

Had Meachem even produced at the level he did for the New Orleans Saints from 2009 to ‘12 – averaging 43 receptions, more than 650 yards and almost seven touchdowns – his contract could be justified.

But Meachem was epically below that standard last year. His 14 receptions were just two more than the career-low of his rookie season, and his 207 yards were the fewest of his career.

Meachem was targeted just 32 times all season (just three times after dropping a certain touchdown pass in the open field on Oct. 28), and his 43.8 reception percentage was fifth-lowest in the NFL among players who had the ball thrown their direction more than 30 times.

“I did suck,” Meachem said, not for the first time, on Saturday.

Earlier in camp he had said this: “This year I just want to be on the same page as Philip (Rivers), be able to run good routes, be smooth in my routes, and just get back to having fun.”

Such a thought was previosuly digestible, in part because you figured there was no way Meachem wouldn’t be at least a little better in 2013 than he was in ’12.

And before Thursday night, it seemed likely the Chargers would be compelled to stick with Meachem – if only because of the financial constraint presented by the base guarantee and $6.875 million cap hit they’re stuck with regardless of whether he plays.

But in the Chargers’ preseason opener, Meachem looked as bad as he did last season. Maybe worse.

Yes, it was one exhibition game, but Meachem acknowledged it was more than just that for a a guy coming off such a horrendous campaign.

“I was disappointed with myself,” he said. “I don’t have room to get caught.”

He was responding to the observation that he got caught giving up on a play – not coming back to the ball on what would end up being Charlie Whitehurst’s first interception. (Meachem was so bad that, when I also take into account how poorly the bulk of the second-team offensive played, I owed Whitehurst an apology for even remotely suggesting he didn't play well on Thursday.)

“I got lazy at the top,” said Meachem, who earlier in the game had run the wrong route on a Whitehurst incompletion.

Quite plainly, Meachem looked as if his confidence is still fractured and his game is still missing. He looked lost in Norv Turner's offense, and he looks lost in Ken Whisenhunt's offense.

Meachem says his health is “blessed,” and he did miss just one game last year and has been in every practice this camp.

However, one person familiar with the situation said emphatically that Meachem is “broken down," that his body simply isn’t what it was.

Meachem was a receiver who did one thing well. He ran fast. That was enough -- for a time and as a part of a certain offense in which he could just be another guy.

Now, he's a receiver who can’t separate, runs poor routes and has undependable hands, and he has no business being on the field. No matter the cost.

2. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    For once, Kevin and I are in agreement on something. ;)

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    This makes me sad... I want to root for the guy so badly but unless he makes a miraculous turn around, his time is SD should be up.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I was actually hoping he would remain on the team quietly and then move along next season but after hearing he is running the wrong routes and giving up on plays, makes me want him off this team right now.

Its wouldn't to be fair to watch someone who wants it and has earned a spot on the roster, only to get cut because it came down to a financial stand point (owing 5 million)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 48 / -6
    I never want to see a guy go down in flames and Meach is a guy I was looking at to turn things around this season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -1
    Just like most any other starter (cough cough CW), hang onto him until someone better comes along, especially with T/C cuts looming.
    BTW: The coaching staff needs to tell Meach to STFU and not play out his little pity party in the media.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  8. Steven01

Steven01 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10 / 18 / -4
    In essence, Kevin Acee is saying he doesn't believe in Robert Meachem and the Chargers should release him. I couldn't disagree more. Meachem has a history of success. He is a 3rd best receiver coming out of high school. He is a First round pick coming out of college. He is having a solid 2013 training camp. He has had better season between 2008-2012 than Malcolm Floyd; Look at the stats. Meachem is in his prime. The current chargers receivers don't have the resume that is even close to Meachem. MEACHEM IS THE BEST RECIEVER ON THE CHARGERS ROSTER

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,853 / 48 / -26
    I take it this wasn't meant as a joke? :cautious:

10. Steven01

Steven01 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10 / 18 / -4
    No it wasn't. You're telling me the current receivers on the Chargers roster have a better resume than Robert Meachem? What's your argument? I'm here to have an honest, intellectual conversation.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262 / 5 / -2
    Maybe we should try starting his resume then, because the man isn't getting it done.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208 / 2 / -0
    I don't care what he was ranked coming out of high school, and I don't care what his stats were when he was in NO. Take his stats last year and compare them to Floyd's, that's a more direct comparison.

You honestly believe he's having a great camp this year? He sucked against Seattle's SECOND TEAM. If you honestly think that he's the best receiver we have, then I believe that maybe you don't watch a lot of football and just play fantasy or something? There's a big difference than just stats and what reporters are writing and REAL play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    On top of that, none of us have the access to see practice or talk to people who have that Acee has, so as much as I am not a fan or Acee, if he says he is sucking balls this camp, then I'll trust that over some random poster who said he is having a good camp

• Like Like x 1
  14. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    And if someone in the know told Acee that Meachem is physically broken down, it's probably true. Athletes have a very hard time accepting when their bodies tell them they can't play anymore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Steven01

Steven01 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10 / 18 / -4
    Tom Krasovic of the UT San Diego said "Meachem has looked decent, at best, in camp. His straight-line speed is still pretty good." As far as Kevin Acee is concerned, Acee never said Meachem "sucked" he quoted an anonymous source as saying Meachem is physically "broken down". Then Kevin Acee said ""Now, he’s a receiver who can’t separate, runs poor routes and has undependable hands, and he has no business being on the field." Personally I think it's irresponsible to quote anonymous sources like Kevin Acee did in his article but that's not the point. The point is Meachem is having a "decent" camp according to Tom Krasovic of the UT San Diego. I don't believe Meachem is physically "broken down". He's 29. Please don't discuss anonymous sources with me i'll just ignore it. Besides the Anonymous Source Kevin Acee quoted is probably some disgruntled Chargers employee that isn't getting their way.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Well, when someone says "has looked decent, at best,", that isn't an enforcement in my book and when you say stuff with zero basis in reality with no one backing you up like "He is having a solid 2013 training camp. ", then you lose all credibility.

I am not saying he should be cut, but that's mainly because of the cap hit involved rather than anything he brings to the table, which is little to nothing

17. Steven01

Steven01 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10 / 18 / -4
    Decent is the same as Solid. Zero basis are you kidding me I just quoted Tom Krasovic of the UT San Diego what more do you want.

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262 / 5 / -2
    Here's the most recent quote by Krasovic regarding Meachem. I don't smell anything even remotely approaching a "solid" review.

"Robert Meachem is still searching to reprise his Saints form. He'll stretch a defense, at least. Tuesday, he got open down the sideline but dropped the ball. In the depth chart released Monday, McCoy listed him behind an injured Brown, on the third string."

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/aug/06/danario-alexander-vincent-brown-keenan-allen/

19. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

First off, whether "decent" and "solid" mean the same thing is purely subjective. Personally, I think that decent means "not bad," whereas "solid" sits one or two steps above that.

Secondly, if we're going to take a look at history, here's a stat comparison between Meachem and Malcom Floyd (undoubtedly our most productive receiver still on the roster) from 2008-2012:

Robert Meachem: 155 receptions, 2476 yards, 25 TDs
    Malcom Floyd: 208 receptions, 3628 yards, 21 TDs

Floyd has outperformed Meachem these last four years, losing to him only in TD grabs. At the end of the day, Meachem was given a large amount of money to make an impact for our team and that simply hasn't happened. Does he have the potential to contribute to the team? Sure. Is he the best WR on our roster? The stats (and his play) say no.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    "AT BEST" which means barely, and when someone is barely decent, that isn't an endorcement

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Meachem is was a system player. If he was not in the Saints offense he would have already been out of the league or buried on a depth chart.

I will give you a well known source when it comes to Meachem's performance.... Robert Meachem.

Robert Meachem’s self-evaluation of 2012: “You sucked last year”
    What did you do last year?” Meachem said in an interview with Mike Costa and Judson Richards on XTRA Sports 1360 in San Diego. “To yourself, you’ve got to totally be honest with yourself and look yourself in the mirror. You sucked last year. So now what are you going to do? Are you going to be the same guy as last year or are you going to be a new guy?”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...self-evaluation-of-2012-you-sucked-last-year/

As for this season...

“I was disappointed with myself,” he said. “I don’t have room to get caught.”

He was responding to the observation that he got caught giving up on a play – not coming back to the ball on what would end up being Charlie Whitehurst’s first interception. (Meachem was so bad that, when I also take into account how poorly the bulk of the second-team offensive played, I owed Whitehurst an apology for even remotely suggesting he didn't play well on Thursday.)

“I got lazy at the top,” said Meachem, who earlier in the game had run the wrong route on a Whitehurst incompletion.

Does this sound like a #1 WR?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208 / 2 / -0
    Robert Meachem quote >>> Tom Krasovic quote concerning Robert Meachem.

23. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +143 / 3 / -0
    Meacham was a desperation signing by the evil emperor after he shat all over Vincent Jackson. I'll bet McCoy can't wait to wash his hands of the whole Meacham fiasco.

24. Steven01

Steven01 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10 / 18 / -4
    EOTL Floyd also had 101 more balls thrown his way during that same span.

CoronaDoug Does that sound like a #1 WR? Possibly.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  25. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45 / 4 / -0
    Just adding my 2 cents I watched the game 3 times this weekend to see if I missed something.

I hate to say it.. But Robert Meachem is failing at WR. Not sure what his Training Camp looks like other that what I saw at FanFest. But, he HAD open shot at #3 WR but, I dont think he's going to make that At this point..

#3 Keenan Allenand #4 Dan DePalma <--- This Guy looked really GOOD

26. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Meachem's contract is the final parting gift from AJ. If we are to have ANY room left for late signings, we have no choice but to hold our noses & go with him on the roster this year. Acee can write this "at any cost" crap to sell papers for the UT, but it isn't going to happen.

27. Steven01

Steven01 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10 / 18 / -4
    I watched the game too. Keenan Allen looked slow, those 40 times do make a difference. He ran a 4.71 and 4.75. Whitehurst overthrew him twice thinking Allen was faster. On the other had Meachem saw 4 targets; 2-4 he forced a penalty.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,433 / 36 / -16
    Here's my issue:
    I felt that Meachem half-assed that INT.
    And then should've--at the very least--made the tackle at the point of the catch.

Now, taking plays off is never okay, but for God's sake, just days after
    acknowledging that you "sucked" in 2012, you're the last guy on the field
    who should be letting up. Just 100% inexcusable.
    I was still pulling for Meachem until that play.

p.s. Would love to see Meachem tell Fred Graves: "No biggie, coach...I was great in high school!"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    This is directed towards the new guy who appears to be a Meachem apologist

If Meachem is the best WR on the roster why is he 5th on the depth chart? why was he struggling against 3rd and 4th stringers? Why are he, his wife, friends, family, coaches, trainers, reporters, etc etc all suggesting he has been terrible as of late?

I mean anyone can look good as the 3rd WR in N.O. when drew brees is under center in a pass happy offense and Colston, Jimmy Graham, Sproles, Lance Moore are getting all the attention from the DB's
    Devery @#$%ing Henderson was ahead of Meachem on the depth chart for crying out loud.

And to suggest Check down Charlie over threw Allen because he thought he was faster is silly as @#$%. Clip Board Jesus isn't exactly known for his long ball accuracy.

Welcome to Bolt Talk my friend saying silly stuff like this will get you eaten alive.

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    By no means am I an AJ apologist, but let's not go full blow revisionist history on the Jackson saga just because AJ is now fired. AJ may have done something akin to crapping on him, but VJ was already sitting on top of a steaming mountain of crap that he himself was responsible for producing.

When it all came down to it, the reason that Vincent Jackson didn't get an extension in San Diego was Vincent Jackson. Blaming a GM for doing the responsible thing by not jumping to guarantee a large sum of money to a player who hadn't shown he could be depended upon (folks can quote me stats till they're blue in the face, two DUI's in a successive years demonstrates that he wasn't dependable in our structure at that juncture - you can't produce stats if you're in street clothes on the sidelines because you're suspended for your own incompetence). If you're going to slam AJ for Gaither and Meachem then it's pretty hypocritical to simultaneous slam him for Jackson. Just saying...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1