1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AEG has spoken with five teams about purchase, relocation

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Jun 10, 2011.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    AEG has spoken with five teams about purchase, relocation | ProFootballTalk

Posted by Mike Florio on June 10, 2011, 9:26 AM EDT

As Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times recently said during an episode of PFT Live, the biggest threat to the push for a new stadium in L.A. comes from a slowing of the momentum toward a deal.

The momentum train received a hot salsa enema on Thursday night, when AEG president Tim Leiweke said that his boss, Philip Anschutz, is prepared to purchase majority interest in a team — and that AEG has spoken to five franchises about this possibility.

According to the Orange County Register (via SportsBusiness Daily), the teams are the Vikings, Chargers, Rams, Raiders, and Jaguars.

“St. Louis, Jacksonville, not extensively, certainly Oakland, San Diego, Minnesota are still in the mix,” Leiweke said. “We’re not packing any [moving] vans right now.”

Leiweke also said that AEG is prepared to pay any fees associated with a team getting out of its current lease. “Just as an example, if it’s San Diego, they would have to pay $24 million under their agreement to get out of the lease,” Leiweke said. “We would pay that.”

In our view, that helps make the Vikings the top candidate, given that after the 2011 season the cost of getting out of the lease at the Metrodome will be zero dollars, and zero cents.

Leiweke undoubtedly made the disclosure in order to build momentum toward the finalization of a “memorandum of understanding” with the Los Angeles City Council. Leiweke has said that the so-called “MOU” must be finalized by July 31 in order to keep the project on track.

“If it [the council] goes away for the summer without the MOU we’ve got to rekindle this again in mid-September and we’re not going to make 2016,” Leiweke said. “If we get the MOU by July 31st, what it proves to the NFL is that we could in fact get a deal done here.”

Meanwhile, anyone in Minnesota who hopes to keep the Vikings from going the way of the Lakers should realize that, if they don’t get a deal done for a new stadium in Minnesota soon, the time for packing the moving vans could be coming.

2. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +93 / 2 / -0
    AEG can go suck it for all I care. They have this PR battle going on right now so they can steal a team so whatever we hear from them is pure PR. The truth is we need a new crib in SD to play football in and if we dont get things done this team will be sold and move somewhere else, LA or not LA.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,722 / 39 / -8
    I agree. However given the economy, and the way things have gone over the past 5 years. I dont see a new stadium in SD.

4. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    would love them to stay in SD, but it won't be the end of the world if they are in LA in 2016. i'll still be a fan, as i have been my entire 38 year life.
    if san diego city/county can't get it's act together, the locals are gonna get what they get, and it's looking more and more likley they will get a view of the back of moving vans. sorry but it's true. blame the economy, ownership, politicians, whatever, at some point you all are gonna have to hold yourselves accountable if the team moves. it's not like this is a new situation or a "con" job.
    without organizing politically or getting mobilized behind this push san diegans are allowing other more motivated/organized entities to define their future.
    i get that people here are fans but they most likely spend more time working on their sigs, posts, avatars, or whatever than working on getting the political winds behind a stadium for SD. f the forum, get in the real world and do somthing (besides whining and talking about burning jerseys, etc etc) to get a stadium. how come the city council or county supervisors aren't seeing tons of fans at every meeting demanding the team be accomodated. the reality is it only takes a few, to make noise at every meeting. every public meeting begins with public comment period that allows topics not on the agenda to be discussed for up to three minutes per person. i guarantee if people got up there at every meeting with the same message, the real press will take notice and momentum will be built. i see it every month at meetings i attend from enviromentalists who are few in number but wield great power. why? because they are determined and motivated.
    we're all internet geniouses but sitting on your butt behind your keyboard aint gonna get it done. get up go to the meetings.
    it's most likley too late (refer to second sentence), so stay ambivalent san diego, stay ambivalent.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    If San Diego has to have a new stadium to keep up, then let the billionaire owners build it. Screw taxpayer subsidies for these poor misunderstood capitalists.