1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AFC West 2008 - Do the 3 dwarves beneath us stand a chance??

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by Stan_The_Man_12, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Very well then... Like bong hits after masturbating! :icon_rofl:
  2. Chad Peter

Chad Peter BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Heh heh heh... I should have expected no less of the members of this forum.

To say that the Broncos are operating the "same" offensive line as last year is laughable. Ben Hamilton was out all of last year with a concussion. He's back. Ryan Clady is new at LT. Ryan Harris is starting at RT for the first time. Tom Nalen is back after being injured reserve since October of last year. Oh, but I guess at least Chris Kuper played at least three downs last year at O-Line, so we'd better call it the same line as last year. I think Daniel Graham and Tony Sheffler are the only ones on the line that haven't changed, and they're are freaking tight ends.

Now onto wide receivers:

The 2007 Broncos began the season like so:

1. Javon Walker
    2. Brandon Marshall
    3. Brandon Stokely.

our backups last year were:
    Glenn Martinez, and a slew of guys who are no longer on the team, nor did they contribute all of last year.

The 2008 Broncos look like:

1. Brandon Marshall
    2. Eddie Royal
    3. Brandon Stokely

And our backups as of now are:
    Darrell Jackson, Keary Colbert, Glenn Martinez, Clifford Russell and Samie Parker.

The offensive line is a question mark. The WR corps has upgraded significantly.

At RB, the Broncos have:

1. Selvin Young, whom has put on about 10 pounds of muscle since last year.
    2. Andre Hall, who is starting to look better than Selvin Young.
    3. Anthony Aldridge, one of the fastest runners out of college this year.
    4. The loss of Ryan Torain for half the season certainly does hurt the running game of Denver, but I expect him to be back mid-season to pick up any slack from Selvin Young/Andre Hall.
    5. Michael Pittman is effectively worthless here, other than a final fallback if all else goes wrong. He's old and can hardly muster more than 3 yards against 3rd string defenses this preseason.

At FB, the Broncos drafted Peyton Hillis, probably the top-ranked fullback in the draft this year, whom plowed the way for Darren McFadden at Arkansas. He will likely start at fullback once he's up to speed from a hamstring injury. Cecil Sapp has been more than effective at his job in the mean time.

At QB, most importantly there was quite a noticeable difference in Culter's first year and second year as QB - for one, while he could manage the game better in season 2, it was very apparent that his arm strength and energy decreased as the season went on. Undiagnosed diabetes will do this. Thus far in preseason, it's fascinating to watch that arm strength and energy come back - and he is an exciting quarterback to watch. Having seen all of his games from the start of his career in Denver, it's very obvious that the kid has talent - after watching a slew of quarterbacks come in and out of here, including Tommy Maddox from the Elway-injury days of the mid-90's, it's refreshing to see someone who has yet to have a 3-interception game, coming into the third year of their career. But hey, you want to deny that, go right ahead. I'm sure you'll see more of him over the next decade.
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Hey Chad

First of all, welcome to the party

If your offensive line is in such bad shape, how do you expect to have Selvin Young/Andre Hall/whoever you guys find this time around run for any real yards? None of your backs are LT, they can't get positive yards without that OL of yours blocking. You might get your 1,000 yard back but that won't help you win much.

And you lost your one 'threat' who was coming off a great year (Walker). Marshall is still very unproven and your answer is to put an unproven rookie who was on no one's radar at the draft next to him with a glorified slot receiver and a bunch of scrubs? That WR corps is not better by any means. Not to mention Marshall's out for three weeks thanks to his antics.

As for QB, well, contrary to the media hype, Cutler hasn't done squat and with a poor OL and WR corps, I doubt he'll do much period. Just be sure to tell him to keep his mouth shut against the Chargers or someone will shut it up for him.
  4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    You're talking all offense here, But what about your defense? You do realize you neeed BOTH to win right?

I just don't see your secondary fending off anything. And your front 7...well...not much to get excited about there either.
  5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +827 / 22 / -1
    I've been over to Orange Mane, let's not pretend like Broncos fans are kings of football knowledge.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +827 / 22 / -1
    Is he back in full knee diving form?
  7. chiefsgal

chiefsgal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +443 / 0 / -0

:yes:
  8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    We have one friend over at CBS sports.com

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

Nalen is back all right, back on the operating table!
  10. Aggieman

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    I like to make fun of Raider Nation's stupidity:
    "I thnik Darren McFadden and Michael Bush will be the best RB combo in the AFC West.."
    -From some fan on RF.net with the unabomber sketch for a profile picture
    I don't THINK he thniks at all.

Raider fan: Raiders Superbowl 09 Baby!...?
    uh...no

"Darth Vader is a punk compared to Al Davis," Hunter S Thompson

Raider Stats:
    2007 Ranked 28th in Sacks with 27
    2006 Ranked 19th in Sacks with 34
    2005 Ranked 19th in Sacks with 36
    2004 Ranked 31st in Sacks with 25
    2003 Ranked 28th in Sacks with 25

Raider fans are delusional...and stupid.
  11. Chad Peter

Chad Peter BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The Broncos' offense has been the real problem the past few years. There's no point in having even a mediocre defense if your offense isn't going to score points. When Jake Plummer was pulled after the Bronx went 7-4, the Bronx should have been 4-7, if that. They BARELY pulled out with several of those wins, and this was ultimately why Plummer was swapped out with Cutler.

Last year was more of the same, with a few bright spots, but ultimately a worse performance by the offense, leading to a few blowouts, and our defense being on the field almost non-stop.

Even the Bronx's superbowl teams didn't have the greatest defense - it was the offense that kept teams on their heels, usually scoring 14 points in the first quarter.

So while this year's team has generally the same defense (with a few minor upgrades), it's the offense that looks to be stronger. I could debate this all day, but until the ball snaps, who knows.
  12. Aggieman

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    Yo! I checked out thos sites and good God! That **** is amazing. Where did you learn to that kind of camera work? But I have yet to see someone who can act...sorry just saying. Then again, I'm a poly sci major...wtf do I know about acting?
  13. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I will have to say Cutler looks real good. I'm glad he has his diabetes under control. But I don't think your offense is any better than last year. Your passing game has gone up but the run has dropped. And like you said the defense is basically the same. The same D that everyone could run against. Heck, I could have a 100 yard game against the Doncs D. Beautiful avatar I have don't you think?
  14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    Cutler looked better...in preseason. Honestly, I don't see the Broncos winning in Oakland or against SD in Game 2.

And your avatar...don't ever change it. :icon_toast: