1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

After losing SD job to Telesco, Raye takes his Indy spot

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 14, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    After losing SD job to Telesco, Raye takes his Indy spot

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 14, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
    New Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said he wanted to keep personnel man Jimmy Raye, the guy considered one of the early favorites for the Chargers GM job.

Instead, Raye’s going to slide into Telesco’s old chair.

According to Sports Illustrated’s Jim Trotter, Raye’s joining the Colts as vice president of football operations.

The idea Raye might hang around after being considered a possible replacement for A.J. Smith seemed farfetched as soon as Telesco said it, and Telesco probably knew that too.

Raye was also mentioned in connection to the Jets general manager job, but taking a sub-GM job now is probably an indication they weren’t prepared to offer him $1 million worth of house.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,346 / 19 / -3
    He really must've been pissed he lost the Chargers job; why take the exact same position with another team? Then again if the choice is your old job with a new team and the Jets GM spot......you laugh at the jets and take your old spot back.
  3. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 4 / -0
    He went from Director of Player Personnel to Vice President of Football Operations. Is that a step up?
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,573 / 42 / -25
    Yes, at least in title. ;)
  5. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +425 / 2 / -1
    Better have been money too, cause trading living in San Diego for Indianapolis is a loss in my book.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    He probably is pissed. Passed over as GM and knows this probably was his only real shot at it in SD. Think about if you were really in his situation.
    This adds another title and pads his resume for the next round of GM firings.
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    The difference in tax rates for his salary alone, even if he gets the same salary, will make it an approximately 10% pay raise.
  8. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +161 / 2 / -1
    Where was it even reported Raye was interviewing? What we see just the tip of the iceberg, IMHO.
    P.S. Congrats Jimmy and thanks for your past contributions to the Boltz. (Now go make a bunch of bad decisions for Indy).
  9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,573 / 42 / -25
    He'll save money regardless, even if the surroundings aren't as attractive.
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +656 / 17 / -2
    Off topic: Did Telesco bring in his own scouts or is he using the ones that were already here?
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Throw in cost of living and it would easily be another 10-20%. I moved to Colorado, and my cost of living dropped ridiculously lower than in SD. The house I got in Denver for $250k would cost me $450k in a similar neighborhood in SD, and Indi is cheaper than Denver
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    My wife and I were horribly disappointed when we found out that her detailer had assigned her to a ship in Mayport, Fla, after mistakenly indicating that the ship's homeport was San Diego. We became significantly less disappointed when we started looking at the cost of housing. A 2500 sq ft home in a nice neighborhood with a pool for $~1200 a month on the mortgage? Yes, please.
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Yeah, mine is a brand new 2500 sq ft (+1100 sq ft basement) and my mortgage is $1300, granted I work in Boulder so I have a 45min -1hr drive each way since Boulder is about as expensive as SD is, but it is worth it to have such a low mortgage payment
  14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 7 / -1
    Dunno if I'm sorry to see Jimmy go. Nobody knows how good or bad he was at his job as it is not clear how much he had to do with the draft picks we made. Having said that most seem to talk highly of him especially as a person. So on that basis I wish him the best of luck. Looking forward to some freshness in the scouting dept anyway. I'd imagine Telesco knows some real good guys to bring in.
  15. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +425 / 2 / -1
    I think Jimmy Raye is a great guy. No one has ever had anything bad to say about the guy. I think he could have been a fine GM for us. That being said, I am excited we went fresh and new, and that Jimmy left so there will be no internal scuffles or issues involved in changing the culture of the Chargers. Telesco and McCoy will be able to define who and what the Chargers are going to be from 1/15/13 going forward. I'm looking forward to watching FA and the draft and not knowing right away we were going to draft a reach and trade up for someone who would probably have still been there at our pick. I'm going to enjoy being up by 20+ points and then seeing the other team score once and not instantly knowing we are going to lose that game. I'm going to enjoy being inside the 5 and being surprised that the inside delay handoff isnt called. Win, lose, or draw, its going to be an exciting year not knowing what is going to happen before it does.
  16. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +164 / 4 / -1
    I can't blame him, and I wish him well!
  17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 18 / -5
    Wish him all the best...except when were facing the Colts.