1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Agent: 4-5 teams have called about Vincent Jackson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Aug 25, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    There is no way we get a 1st, let alone a 1st and a player. Sorry t break it to you. The fact that one more small off the field issue he has, even something really stupid, and he is in line for a 8+ game suspension. That lowers his trade value when he hasn't yet to shown that he can avoid off the field issues
  2. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so the Chargers are openly restricting demand on the front side, but on the back side, the phone is off the hook? I suppose that could be the case, but then the question would be, how's that working out for them? Yeah, nary a peep so far! Also, the manner in which Seattle's interest was handled would seemingly dispute this premise. It was reported that while they agreed to a 2nd rd pick, there was no formal obligation made to the Chargers in order to gain access to Jackson. And no team ever will, that's just hokey pipe-dream nonsense. Conversely, a verbal or even written "promise" to AJ Smith wouldn't stop anybody. No, no, I know what I promised you assh0le okay, but I've changed my fuq'n mind! :icon_rofl: Note that this sort of charade wasn't required for Denver to receive considerable compensation for Brandon Marshall.

Further, the article CoronaDoug sourced obliterates any notion that Smith controls the communiqué between Jackson's agent and potential suitors. In fact, it's Neil Schwartz phone that's ringing off the hook and like the honest soul he is, he redirects them to AJ Smith w/o even hint of anything. As if these teams have no concept of what the rules are. :icon_rofl: We were told Aug 20th meant something and it did. On the day these players were to come in Jason Cole reported that the Seahawks had been granted access and that two sources close to the situation stated that the Chargers were committed to trading Jackson. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-jacksonseahawks082010

Convenient to the argument is to discount the latter part of this report, okay, let's discount it. Let's believe the Chargers want Jackson, something I've addressed before. All of Smith's excuses have been flatly refuted! For at least the fifth time now, the Chargers could've structured an offer to Jackson that recognized his productivity, yet, insulated them from any perceived risk. Something that could've been done months ago. Resorting to the hypothetical that there's no proof Jackson would accept such terms is in fact part of the discovery process that the Chargers are responsible for. Trumpet Man refers to Jackson as a pc of meat. But see, this pc of meat has a heart and mind, key intangibles that his premise affords no relevance ... none. Again, you are not shackling Jackson down in the rat cellar, throwing him some crumbs and then witness an all-world performance on the field. That's not an opinion. That's not happening because it doesn't make any fuq'n sense!

One interesting point that Trumpet Man made was that [there] "are no guarantees one more year of service will buy them free agency with no CBA in place." If this is true, it crushes the unsubstantiated claim that Jackson's agent has no idea what he's doing. I would tend to dismiss the point that some team may lose a key rec'r and give up the world for the rights to Jackson. There are already teams, namely Washington, that already covet Jackson's skills. This premise is further compromised by Jackson's availability, which takes yet another hit on Sept 4th. If Jackson's market value goes down after the 4th, I just can't see that compensation to the Chargers is heading anywhere but in the same direction.

I agree with matilack that it was in the Chargers best interest to maintain themselves as a possible alternative (which was addressed by Denver Bolt). My view is that they've done a very poor job of that, which is too bad because Schwartz implied that Jackson wanted to return. Where I disagree is that Jackson's camp has no idea what other teams are willing to pay. This is no bluff, they know exactly what the level of interest is. On another matter, I've read that Malcolm Floyd's contract is due at the end of this year. If that's true, when he's poised to become the team's #1 and contribute considerably, I'd have secured him, in this non-cap window, like yesterday!
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Until it comes from the horses mouth that this guy is never going to play another down in a Charger uniform, things can still change.

If he lowered his demands to 5yrs 35mil don't you think AJ would at least hear him out? Even though he's pissed some people off VJack is an UPGRADE over all our other recievers.
  4. Shabba

Shabba BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hence a first round pick OR a player we really like would be a "blindindly good offer"!!!
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    V.J. was offered $3 million under an agreement everyone collectively bargained for plus the Chargers have the exclusive rights (bust out the shackles is right) to the player.

The question becomes one of how do you handle yourself in the last year of your contract ?

So

A. You can play your *** off

or

B. Sit

Business is business

PS ... Jacksons camp now knows what the Seahawks are willing to pay so how many more are needed ? AJ has spoken on this topic already.
  6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings Received:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The Chargers would not have to "take him back" because the Chargers own VJ's rights exclusively.

VJ needs to sign his tender and VJ is "back" The ball is in VJ's court. VJ lowering his demands means nothing if the Chargers are only willing to pay for one year of his service.
  7. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Trumpet Man:

Those points have been mentioned before, and even when they're conceded, the motive and benefit to the team remains vague, at best. I don't doubt that something could work out, but this impasse was easily foreseeable. I suspect, and it could be argued due to Jackson's own actions, that even under the best case scenario, the Chargers were never interested in recognizing Jackson's productivity. Parts of your own comments enforce this. Can't help but notice that any comparative to how Denver managed Brandon Marshall was something you ignored. I have trouble understanding why Smith didn't offer Jackson a one-year deal that would've been tough to turn down (as a last resort), but at the same time approach Parcells with a possible move? If talks w/Parcells broke down, he could've turned to Washington, or vice-versa. The lack of anticipation and rapport isn't anything to be impressed with.

You also ignored Malcolm Floyd, a very gifted athlete who also got a skimpy one-yr deal. He's free next year, what's the plan there? Tough to have an opinion when there's no official line to cop? My God, what exactly has this guy done wrong? Maybe it's really about the Chargers being tight wads?

Oh, and again, you're completely delusional to think Jackson is signing the Chargers current offer and poof, "he's back." It's pretty clear to me that you just don't get it. It's as if because the team has won, what Smith is doing now must be right.
  8. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Actually he is worth more if more teams are involved...supply and demand. If the Chargers are limiting the demand side it doesn't make sense if they are trying to trade him.:icon_shrug:

The only thing that does make sense is that the Seahawks have something the Chargers want? TJ Hooshmazilly for VJ:tup:
  9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Trumpy introduce yourself to the new guy! :icon_rofl:
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Xactly, and he is not letting players think bad behavior will be rewarded.
  11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    this is what I don't understand. Are they trading jackson or not. And does the chargers really think he's gonna play all out with just making 600,000. SAme with mcneil. I'm guessing both if they do sign thier 600,000 tenders try and get kicked off the team. Thus becoming free agents.

Something else has to be going on that we don't know about behind the scenes. Cause nOt much of it makes sence now.
  12. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Seriously people! Do any of you remember history? AJ has taken money off the table time and time again (remember Gates' holdout?) yet when they sign, the money is mysteriously back on the table. He pulls it to punish and force their hands then puts it back to reward them...

This is vintage AJ. He has built a solid football team, more solid a Chargers team than many of us remember.

VJ has a choice, report before 9/4 or sit out 6 games. So he can bring down his idiotic requests and eat a little humble pie, or lose a season. His choice. He basically controls whether he is being traded or not.

Big Mac, the same, he can sit out longer, but in the end, he has to report or sit out. Players who sit out a year to my knowledge have NEVER gotten the big money they want, teams are leary of them.
  13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    VJ is going head to head with one of the most notorious gambling junkie GMs in the league. And he's losing... BADLY. He's almost out of chips.
  14. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Yeah VJ either thinks a lot higher of himself than others do or he wants out bad.

To be frank, his game is running and leaping for the ball. He does not often catch it is stride. I simply dont see a lot of teams considering that a top five receiver. A damn good one yes, but a top 5 paid one... No.
  15. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    It's not like Rivers hits guys in stride often. Most of his deep passes are just thrown up for catch. VJ IMO is a top 5 receiver and if he did not have his off the field issues we all would be pissed that he is not signed long term yet. Here to hoping that we get a receiver as good as Wes Chandler was in replacing JJ back in the day once we lose VJ.
  16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    VJ is all in and is holding a 2-7 off suit with face cards on the flop and AJ sitting on pocket Aces.
  17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +827 / 22 / -1
    So who are you really? Vincent Jackson, Neil Schwartz, or Daniel Snyder?
  18. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I see, this is standard procedure for AJ Smith, but it's the players who are unreasonable. Of course! So Jackson's demands: the bonus, the length, the amount, or even anything resembling half of that, it's all just a bluff? Reports stating that Jackson isn't part of the team's long-term plans and that they're committed to trading him ... all BS? Well, given that those of us who question what's happening can't rationalize Smith's maniacal nature, it certainly can't be discounted. Actually, I can see it happening with McNeill, but Jackson has drawn real interest. I think it's a misread to believe that Jackson is relatively satisfied with Smith's offer, he's just skipping camp and seeing if there's anything more Smith will give him.

In recent days I've had a chance to review the Cowboy game and I'm convinced that Philip Rivers has to take his game to another level if this team has any chance! Here's a recent quote from Boltergeist: "Rivers lead the league in yards per attempt, while his starting WR's had horrible yards after catch averages." Here's a comment just posted by ChargerRay: "It's not like Rivers hits guys in stride often. Most of his deep passes are just thrown up for catch."

No way would I contend that Rivers isn't capable of leading his rec'rs, or that he can't improve his placement, but from what I've seen, it is a big issue. Now, he threw a pinpoint TD pass to Naanee vs. Chicago, no question! That said, from what I recall in the playoff loss to New York and from what I've seen in these two preseason games, his placement is poor! His accuracy is grossly overstated. Any notion that his rec'rs don't know what to do after they make the catch is BS!
  19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,551 / 44 / -6
    Hey, take the Jackson fathead off your wall and from above your bed. There are more serious thing going on about in the world. I don't care if Jackson ever play's another down, he can flip burgers and earn a honest living for all I care.

I'd like to know what you and Jackson are going to do with all those puppies????
  20. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'll take mine down when you remove the fathead of AJ Smith in a pink thong, down off of your bedroom wall. Fuq'n faqqot! I just called your sludge-slinging sidewinder a leaker! Address it assh0le!
  21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    Why can't you guys just ignore this painfully obvious troll?
  22. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    This guy is not a troll it is Vincent Jackson. :lol:
  23. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I just went to fathead.com and I could not find the AJ Smith fathead. HEXEDBOLT where did you get it? Is the thong Hawaiian print?
  24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
  25. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings Received:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
  26. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    :icon_rofl: Alright, alright, I apologize!
  27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    A san diego chargers fan that happens to be a negotiation lawyer kind of explained it on another website on what A.j. is doing with the jackson trade thing...

as he said the plan is to just wait. WAit till teams really are desperate for jacksons services. Which makes the most sense out of this thing that I can figure. Trumpy kind of mentioned it yesterday. I'm guessing that has to be the plan. Just wait for some team or teams to be desperate for a good wr so they'll trade us more.
  28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,551 / 44 / -6
    Here fishy, fishy.:icon_rofl:
  29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,551 / 44 / -6
    You have to call the custom made department and have your own pictures. I got my picture from Mark, some party he and a few of his buddies had. It's really kind of hard to tell the exact print on the materiel as Mark's head is blocking the view. I can't tell you what mark's doing but AJ sure has a big smile on his face.
  30. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    foober

The season starts Sept 9-13th. Jackson won't be available for at least 3 games, then the trade deadline is Oct 19th. I mean, that would be a pretty narrow window to risk moving Jackson thru. And as I've said, Washington is already as desperate as a team can get for a player of Jackson's caliber.