1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ Adande

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Oakland Charger, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Oakland Charger

Oakland Charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if this was already discussed but on the ESPN.com NFL section AJ is on a video stating that Gates is asking for a new contract? Why hasn't this been expressed in any other media channels and how does he know this? I'm sorry if this was already discussed but I found out today.

Did we not going through all that trouble a few years ago about his current contract?

Thoughts?

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205 / 1 / -0
    I believe it's JA Adande, and I heard him say that too, first I had heard of it.

:trout::trout::trout: Salmon slaps for the typo :lol:

3. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    ...First I've heard of this. Bad timing if it's true and yes, I too thought his contract was already addressed :icon_shrug:

4. Oakland Charger

Oakland Charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    He isn't important enough to get his name right :yes:

5. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Kevin Acee mentioned a while ago that it's an issue. Gates is only making $24 million over 6 years.

6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't surprise me. He has Condon as his agent now.

If AJ tears up Gates' contract, he's going to have problems with ALL these other guys that we signed to long-term extensions early.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Gates contract runs to 2011, so he'll just have to wait his turn. Gates has already found out what happens when you try to put the screws to AJ. Any extension would have to be backloaded.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +422 / 7 / -1
    No no no!!!!!!!!!!!.

This cannot be true.

We do not need any more crap now. This is our year. Anto, Shawne, Cro et al, step up and go get your rings. :tup:

9. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Pay him. Gates deserves it. Last year when we started slow and there was all that drama, Gates seriously held this team together. He's worth it. He's the best in the league. We need him. Give him his money.

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Cool. And when Shaun Phillips then says he wants HIS contract torn up so he can get more money, what then? And Quentin Jammer? How about Nick Hardwick? Stephen Cooper?

Here's how it works... the team pays a young athlete A LOT MORE MONEY than he would normally make at that time in his career. The athlete accepts that peace-of-mind and security and, in exchange, takes a deal that in the future will benefit the team.

Gates wants it both ways. He wants the bigger contract with the signing bonus early in his career, AND he wants to be treated like a free agent now?

Doesn't work that way. It totally defeats the purpose of managing the salary cap the way AJ manages it. If Gates wanted to get paid like a free agent he should have bit the bullet and spent those first two years of his contract playing for the league minimum. He didn't want to do that, though. He wanted the money up-front, and he got it. Now he's not happy?

Seriously, screw that. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

11. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Can we at least wait to see what he does after the toe injury first?

Hate to be a hard ***, but it is what it is. You can't give him a big money extension if he won't again be what he once was.

12. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Condon is a greedy bastard, Gates has already pocketed 12.4 million, since August of 2005 when he signed the deal......Condon has seen NONE of that, so naturally he is pressing AJ about getting signed.....lets see about the toe, then lets get Rivers, big Mack and Cro signed first, then maybe we will deal with Gates sometime in 2010 before his deal ends.

Adande's report reflects Condon's interests......I remember distinctly when Gates signed, he proclaimed "Antonio Gates $$" if he gets healthy and produces, his next deal with be Tony Gonzalez-esque........but he's gonna have to wait awhile: quite honestly, I'd rather get our two WR signed before Gates......but first the Big 3 in NFL dollars: QB, LT and CB....and those 3 will break the bank.

13. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    This sucks.

Gates deserves huge money, no doubt. $4 mill a year for a superstar, best-at-their-position player is low. He could deserve top WR money, only T.O. and I think Randy Moss have scored more than him in the last few years.

But as a Charger fan and for the team's sake, he has to live with it so all our studs can fit in the cap, which would hopefully equal rings. He has that contract, and as low comparitively as it is, he never had a gun to his head to sign it.

I can see why Gates wants the $$$ now. He's making good money, but not what he's worth. And noone wants to be paid less than their worth, especially if a damn toe injury can take away all your potential earnings away and end your career.

NFL players should get gauranteed contracts imo.

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    Please post a link...I can't find this video.