1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ got 2nd place on EOY

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by msmith, Mar 28, 2007.

1. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The vote is out. AJ tied for second.

The Ravens' Ozzie Newsome and Chargers' A.J. Smith tied for second in the voting with 12 votes each.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I don't have any major heartburn over this. The Saints as an organiztion overcame tremendous odds and hadda great season, so any accolades they get are well deserved, IMHO.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0

I do.

A.J. has turned the Chargers into perrenial contenders and the Saints can not say the same.

Take away Katrina and the emotional handjobs and the Saints are a flash in the pan.

The ONLY way this is changed is if the Saints go to the playoffs after completing this seasons first place schedule, otherwise; Marty Loomis is a fuggin' idiot hired by an idiot owner in Tom Benson.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    That is way too harsh, Trumpy. At least the Saints won a playoff game. Give Loomis some credit. Executive of the Year is not based on sustained excellence, neither is any other annual award. If a pitcher comes out of nowhere to win 40 games, does that mean he shouldn't win the CY Young? :icon_shrug:

I get tired of hearing about how great we are. One postseason victory in 12 years, we haven't done ****.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171 / 0 / -0
    :yes: :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Why should I give Loomis credit ?

Just because they had one winning season or is it more ?

I do not buy it. When the Saints played somebody last year who was good, they looked like ****.

The Saints are not dominant such as the Bears and given a watered down NFC, it is not saying much at all.

I do not go for the sympathy vote because New Orleans was under water. You need to earn it and the Saints do not make me think they are perrenial contenders or even a quality team.

Further, I am not tired at alll hearing how good we are. Not at all and I could give a rats *** about our playoff record as an excuse.

I know this is one of the best assembled teams we have had since day one.

We could be o-fer **** in the playoffs and so long as we win the Lombardi, I could careless.

The Colts could careless the times they ate **** in the process because they have a ring to show for it all. Nobody is going to kick then in the balls now for failing in the process because they have the bliing to say - "eat this".

7. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Read my post again. The award is for last season only, not continued success. The Saints went from 6-10 to the NFC Championship. And look at their schedule, it was tougher than ours was.

To say that Loomis is not deserving is a pretty weak take.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    After decades of famine, I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing how great we are :yes:

But as for Exec of the Year... it's hard to argue with the pick. I will say, though, that the Saints seemed to have a lot of things falling into their lap like manna from heaven.

1. The Texans pass on Reggie Bush. No brainer for the Saints.
    2. The Dolphins reject Drew Brees. No brainer for the Saints.
    3. The hype over the Bush pick and the emergence of Colston overshadows what really was a very mediocre draft.
    4. Besides Drew, the best thing the Saints did in FA was get rid of Aaron Brooks, who had been a boat anchor for the Saints for years.
    5. They play in the NFC. 'Nuff said.

But Loomis did bring in a good Head Coach... and he did pick Colston.. and they did go to the NFC Championship... so I don't worry about it at all. When you win so suddenly and in such surprising fashion, especially with the background of Katrina to frame it in such an emotional light, you get accolades like this; and it's hard to argue against it.

But from a purely long-term football management standpoint (which, again, isn't all that counts in these things), AJ is and will continue to be the best GM in football. AJ has worked through some incredibly tough situations to put the Chargers where we are now - loaded for bear and poised for multiple playoff runs.

As TK said, it's Executive of the Year, not Executive of the Millenium.

If it was, AJ wins that hands down. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    The question I have is how much did the saints coach have in improving the saints. I'm guessing alot.

As far as A.j. and how well he's done. Lets just say it would be hard to do better.:yes: :bolt:

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 32 / -0
    Their schedule was tougher than ours??????

NO's 2006 opponents were 118-138. The Bolts 2006 opponents were 117-139. A difference of one freaking game. And the Chargers finished 14-2, while NO finished 11-5.

NO was only 1-3 against the superior conference, the AFC. The Bolts were 10-2 vs. the AFC.

How about record amongst common opponents? NO was 1-4 against common opponents. The Bolts were 4-1.

I don't have a problem with Loomis getting EOY, given all that team had to overcome, but spare me the "NO had a tougher schedule" garbage.

If they played in the AFC, NO would have been a .500 team last year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Last time I checked, record against common opponents had absolutely nothing to do with strength of schedule. Neither does the conference that you are in.

But thanks for pointing out that the Saints schedule WAS tougher based on opponents' winning percentage.

If strength of schedule in the NFL is determined by any other factor, that is news to me.

12. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205 / 1 / -0
    could not agree more, nice pitty vote he got there, pitty should not be apart of the voting process, aj's without question eoy every year.

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 32 / -0
    You didn't say NO had a greater SOS. You said they had a "tougher" shedule. "Tougher" is a subjective assessment, and the facts don't prove that NO's schedule was tougher. SOS is only one of many metrics you can use to assess the toughness of a schedule.

The Chargers had 6 games against winning teams last year. NO had 3. Chargers played in the superior conference. The Chargers played in a division that featured three winning teams. NO was the NFC South's only winning team.

Clearly, the Bolts had the tougher schedule.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    The Chargers also enjoyed more games against truly crappy teams. There are many ways to spin it.

But I will meet you in the middle. The schedules were comparable, maybe San Diego's was "tougher" by a small margin, and NO's strength of schedule was more formidable.

My main point was that Trumpie is on drugs to say that NO's schedule was a cake walk, and I stand by that.

15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 32 / -0
    One game does not equate to "more formidable." Your point about NO having a tougher schedule is garbage.

I don't think our schedules are even comparable. NO got a bunch of easy games against crappy NFC teams. I think there schedule was pretty easy, quite frankly. Their division sucked. They couldn't even beat the .500 teams in the AFC. The only AFC team they managed to beat was Cleveland and that was a squeaker.

The Bolts faired 3 games better against a tougher schedule.

16. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0

I don't get your point, we are clearly a better team than NO. I never said that we weren't.

This is all about giving Loomis credit for the Saints making it to the NFC championship. I think that New Orleans had a highly successful season by anyone's standards, regardless of how strong (or weak) their schedule was.

17. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0

I agree TK. And Katrina does matter. It created a huge obstacle. It was one of the worst natural disasters ever. That the Saints came back to the extent they did is amazing. He deserves some recognition and I don't consider it a "sympathy vote." It's a yearly award not a lifetime achievement. Who else had a more remarkable or challenging year?

"He didn't have a head coach, a home stadium or a starting quarterback. Nor was he sure New Orleans, still devastated by hurricane damage, would be economically capable of supporting the team, no matter how much it wanted the Saints back home. No other general manager in NFL history has had to overcome this grouping of obstacles."

• Like Like x 1
  18. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 0 / -0

Well stated Toby.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,564 / 7 / -2
    No way in hell was the Saints schedule tougher than ours.

They play in the NFC for christsakes, it's like the JV. The best team in the NFC got taken to school in the SUper Bowl buy what many would consider one of the 3 or 4 elite teams in the AFC, the Colts. If NE would have played the Bears in the SB it would have been same outcome, AFC over NFC.

I would have taken almost any is year over any NFC team on a neutral field. The NFC is simply outclassed by the AFC.

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    The arguement of perrennial contenders versus a one year pat on the back is really bullshit for Exec of the Year you guys are hiding behind.

No mention is made of how A.J. has retained more core players than any other team.

No mention is made of how A.J. retained Dielman in an era of free agency and Dielman took less money. Every mother fuggin' GM (except for Pioli) is wanting to know how the fuc A.J pulled off that coup that has Houdini scratching his junk .....

No mention is made of the fact the Chargers were a pile of **** before Jobu and A.J. took the reigns and after Beathards screwed up approach to the draft. Ok granted this last example is not over one year but it sure as hell adds value to the pie.

Yeah.....Marty Loomis does not deserve the title as much as A.J. does for last year. Not even close.

Sentiment won this vote just like the ProBowl. It is the same sentiment that wanted Junior Seau back....yeah right. Bullshiit is what it is...plain and simple bullshiit.

21. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    How can you get tired of it? After all those losing seasons, and having to hear that we were the worst team, and always being the butt of a joke it's nice to have a team that you expect to do well.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Drugs have nothing to do with the fact the Saints play in a shiity conference...not division but freaking-eh CONFERENCE !!!!

A truly crappy team in the AFC is one of the better teams in the NFC. This is no secret. The NFC is no powerhouse so to claim NO's strength of schedule is "more formidable" but the Chargers schedule was "tougher" is Concudan-like logic.

I do not understand how the Chargers schedule was "tougher" yet NO's schedule was "more formidable" last year? What the hell is that ?

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    I am not saying A.J. should get it every year but he pulled off some mega coups in an era of free agency and no loyalty.

This has to be accounted for plus the fact the team pulled off its first 14 win season.

If Loomis does not have Katrina and FEMA (Find Every Mexican Available) to re-build, the dice roll differently. :yes:

24. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    :icon_rofl:

25. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0

What in the hell does Dielman have to do with anything? How many of those core players did AJ lock up after the season was over? This award is based on last year, Trumpie. Dielman and many of AJ’s other moves don’t count towards it. :no:

AJ needs to win a playoff game before I get up in arms that he didn’t win Exec of the year. Loomis deserved the award.

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Welcome back, Assshole!! :icon_eek: :yes: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    Tom Benson is widely known as a cheap assshole owner and why the Saints have never amounted to shiit. I have heard Marty Loomis on the radio/TV can't remember and he even sounded like a dumbbass.

When Brees said it was "GOD" that told him to go to NO, he was right.

A.J. told him, we do not want you nor do the Dolphins or anybody else except the Saints.

So GOD told him and his mole to get the fuc out, take the money and shut the hell up.

28. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    Trumpie is THE MAN!!

:icon_rofl:

29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Thanx Darlin!! :tup: :icon_toast:

30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Y'all're pissin up a rope arguin with Trumpie on this :icon_eek: :yes: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease: