1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ is hurting this franchise. No more denying!

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    I'm not making anything up. You feel that Norv is the next Bill Cowher and CK feels that Norv's early career is similar to Dungy's and Coughlin's.

Now That's Funny!!! :yes: :hilarious:
  2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you have trouble counting but that's 4 winning seasons. More wins than losses = winning season. I bolded them to help you out.
  3. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    You can't find it so you laugh. Predictable. :lol:

Oh and you ignore the rest of the post too. :icon_rofl:
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    9-7 That's winning but not playoffs.
    8-7-1 is just a non losing season.
    7-6 is incomplete.
  5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

Look back at you last few posts.

The rest is the SOS talked about earlier. No need to stutter.
  6. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    No where did I say Marty did nothing to make this team competitive, I said Marty didn't make the team great. He contributed to it by adding quality players, but it's not like scrub players all of a sudden became stars because of Marty, and he isn't a play caller so it's not like you can credit his game plans/calling.

As far as the rest being the SOS, well yea it's hard to argue against facts.
  7. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Who cares if it isn't playoffs, you said he had 1 winning season, when even by your own standards it's 2 winning seasons.

8-8 is a non losing season, 8-7-1 is a winning season, that's a +.500 record.

I'll give you that 7-6 was incomplete.
  8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    You have to become good before you can become great. We sucked for almost a decade.

BOTTOM LINE... had we hired someone better than Marty, we wouldn't be having this discussion. We wouldn't be hearing Marty chants at games either.
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    You said "the Redskins weren't a quality team either, and yes they developed into a quality team, thanks to Norv."

49-59-1 in 7 seasons is under achievement.
  10. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Norv is better than Marty in the playoffs. Now he wasn't my #1 choice (he was my last actually), but he isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

I can understand not liking his style or his aloofness. I personally wanted Singletary, but I think our coaching staff being raped really hurt him, or maybe if Marty was fired earlier so there would of been a better pool of coaches. If we still had Cameron I think Singletary would of became the HC. With Norv you have a guy who knows how to call an offense and runs a very similar offense, and AJ liked Cottrel for the defense.

It's tough to hire a guy who had no or little defensive play calling experience, plus not having an offensive coordinator.

Oh well hopefully Norv wins the SB and proves the doubters wrong. I can live with him as long as he does well in the postseason. Although my ideal staff would be demote Norv to OC, hire Wade after he gets fired to become DC, and then find a leader type for HC.
  11. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    That were **** when he took them, and he turned them into a 10-6/8-8 team. I'd say that's developing them into a quality team. I didn't say they were great or anything.
  12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    Here's and idea regarding the skins: maybe the OWNER (Dan Snyder) is to blame:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...0/12/ST2009101203265.html?sid=ST2009101203265

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

Norv didn't make this team, this team made him. Again, nobody knows what would have happened had Marty stayed or someone else came aboard. You can only make predictions.
    Though I guarantee this... had we let Marty finish out his last year of his contract and let him walk at the end of the 2007 season, we would have had A LOT better choices.

As for Cam and Wade... it happens all the time. Teams decide to give OCs and DCs a job as HC. Just ask AJ.
  15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Go to a Skins forum and ask them how much of a "quality" team that is. As I keep suggesting, ask them how much they miss Norv.
  16. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if I knew how to type if I would type so much about the SOS day in and day out.

Come people lets get on to better things instead of the SOS.

This thread has become another pointless thread.
  17. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    They all do eventually. The ones that go over a thousand pages usually had no particular point in the first place.
  18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    The skins fans I know don't like Norv, but they hate owner Daniel Snyder even more.

Why?

Snyder hasn't done **** since he's been the one buying the groceries. He's brought in player after player, coach after coach and what do they have to show for it? Nothing.
  19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    I lived 45 minutes from DC and would go there to go clubbing occasionally (during the Norv era). They hated him and celebrated the day he was fired!
  20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    Oh I believe you. But, since then, Snyder has done FAR MORE to kill that team. He brought back Gibbs, but even that didn't last long. Just made their season ticket waiting list grow.
  21. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I agree, is it a surprise that the Raiders and Redskins stink? They both have lousy owners and aren't willing to relent control to build a quality team, both also believe signing big name free agents is the way to build a great team.
  22. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    If Dean was willing to fire Marty after the season, we would of had better options, plus we wouldn't have had our coaching staff raped like it was. Dean's indecision cost us from having better options.

And I never claimed Norv made the team. Really you could say the same thing after 2007 about Marty. What happens if Marty went 12-4 in 07 but 1 and out again? Should we continue to keep him because who knows what would of happened the following year?

All Norv did was guide the team over the playoff hump, plus he's done a good job of developing Rivers into an elite QB, and has done a good job of making the offense less reliant on LT. Before Norv was here do you think our offense would of done **** if LT got hurt or didn't play? Maybe, but only because we had Turner as well.
  23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    I've said it a trillion times... "make a decision after his contract expires." Like if we made it to the AFCC in a similar fashion, you might want to consider rehiring him. Otherwise, let him walk.

BTW... Rivers made the pro bowl in 2006. Although he couldn't play due to an injury.
  24. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Eh, doesn't really matter what they think. The NY fans hated Coughlin, now they don't. All it took was winning a SB.

I knew a lot of Steeler fans who couldn't stand Cowher, until he won his SB.

Really if we're going to get a new coach unless he wins the SB or takes us to the SB in the 1st 2 seasons it's going to be the same ****.

Also from what I recall the Redskin fans weren't big fans of Marty either.
  25. BoltzRule

Ratings Received:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Your point? Did you consider him an elite QB, all he did was manage the offense and let LT break all kinds of records. Now he's developed into a QB that can carry a team.

Norv has had a history of developing QBs so don't use your blind hate to ignore it.

If Marty could win a playoff game with a 14-2 team, what makes you think he could take a lesser team to the AFCC game?
  26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    :yawn: How many times is it necessary to say that Coughlin had success in Jacksonville?

Steelers fans actually liked Cowher but didn't feel he could win them a Super Bowl.
    ei: Had Cowher been canned before 2005, they could still say they had some good seasons with him (a Super Bowl appearance, a few AFCC appearances, and many playoff wins).

Redskins fans weren't big on Marty considering they had an 0-5 start. BUT, they finished at 8-8, were one of the best teams in NFC, and just missed the playoffs. Most would have rather seen Marty return. Instead, they picked up a failed college reject.
    Most have no doubt that they would have seen the playoffs with Marty back.
  27. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Mike Tomlin and Ken Whisenhunt were both hired before Dean Spanos fired Marty.

Harbaugh and McDaniels were not up for HC jobs at the time of the search.

Because of this, none of these people are relevant to your point.

The people we should be comparing Norv to are Mike Singeltary and Rex Ryan, because both of them were interviewed by the Chargers when they decided to go with Norv. (They also interviewed Ron Rivera)

After all, your point is that AJ is hurting the franchise, right? How is he hurting the franchise by not campaigning for Dean Spanos to hire people who weren't available at the time?

Yeah, it still doesn't look good if you compare to Singeltary or Rex Ryan, but at least your comparison would be more valid.
  28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

:yawn: People, please read though other posts so the same things don't have to be repeated over and over.

Though there is a new one... I never said we could have had Tomlin or Whisenhunt. The point is that those are two rookie HCs that did their franchise GREAT!!!
    As for Harbaugh and McDaniels, both would have been available had we let Marty finish out his contract and then made a decision after the 2007 season.
    Ditching Marty in mid April was STUPID!!!

And once again... I'll make this big so NOBODY will miss it this time.
    Only Spanos can give somebody a pink slip or put someone on the payroll but AJ has the power. Spanos did not say "let's go get Norv." AJ wanted Norv and Spanos agreed.

Please take a note of this!
  29. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    how many here think that marty's kid is doin a good job? because right now i think i would rather have him as a coordinator and i do believe that marty bringing him in for an interview was the last straw in aj's ego drivin power assertion over marty....which i would say has hurt this team and directly an aj decision.
  30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

BRAVO!!!
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Everybody in here please take note of this!!! This sums up EVERYTHING!!!
    Now I can understand fans not wanting Marty's brother as DC but he couldn't have been worse that Cortell. Possibly not worse than Rivera at this moment either.
    After all Brian wasn't as horrible of a QB coach as many in here had hoped for. Brees became a Pro Bowl QB in 94 when Brian was still in charge. No need to be a hater just for the sake of hating.

Those who keep bring up Wade and Cameron... They were offered jobs has HC. Ravens would have loved for Ryan to be their DC forever but everybody wants to move up. If another team offers them a higher position, they should be allowed to take it. It's not like Marty fired Wade to make space for his brother.

As I keep saying "the right thing to do would have been to let Marty finish out his contract and make a decision after the 2007 season. If we didn't at least make it to the AFCC, let him walk and choose someone better (not worse)."

Problem: AJ wouldn't have that. It might damage his ego!
    Anybody care to deny?

This is possibly one of the best posts of the year!!! :yes: :tup:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.